Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 10:14
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Jun 29, 2002

I think this is a very good idea. Here we\'ll be able to say something about soccer, about what happens in the world or about our cat and nobody will be able to say \"it\'s off topic\". Great idea, and a necessity in a community where sometimes we need to share feelings or worries that aren\'t professional.

Claudia

Iara Gomes

Joeri Van Liefferinge
Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 16:14
English to Dutch
+ ...
Absolutely Jun 29, 2002

Where else would the Germans and Brazilians cry out their happiness or misery tomorrow?

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:14
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Do we need an English Language Forum? Jun 29, 2002

Yes, this could be a possible solution. In the various language forums (my own knowledge of them is mainly of the Spanish and Russian ones), people feel free to start a discussion on any topic they think fit, and nobody objects to this (why should they?).

But if you want to start a topic in English on some subject that does not fit into the main headings, you just have to go for one of them anyway, and it is just possible someone might object to this (though I have only ever seen one
... See more
Yes, this could be a possible solution. In the various language forums (my own knowledge of them is mainly of the Spanish and Russian ones), people feel free to start a discussion on any topic they think fit, and nobody objects to this (why should they?).

But if you want to start a topic in English on some subject that does not fit into the main headings, you just have to go for one of them anyway, and it is just possible someone might object to this (though I have only ever seen one instance of anyone doing so).

So maybe a \"General English Language Forum\" could be created to deal with this problem, if indeed it is perceived to be a problem requiring some action.
Collapse

Antonio Costa (X)
Antonio Costa (X)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Answer to King Jun 30, 2002

Ask Germans.

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 22:14
Chinese to English
+ ...
Yes Feb 16, 2021

A very good idea.

Iara Gomes

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

\"Off Topic\" forum: a very good idea

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »