Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Off topic: OMG. I think I just got my first ever job through ProZ!!!
Thread poster: Christopher Schröder
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
Pillows Mar 29, 2021

The Financial Times you'll find hanging on the outside door handle in the morning may serve as a second round of good news. And more relaxing than any kind of pillow-biting.

Christopher Schröder

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Do they still have ... Mar 29, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

The Financial Times you'll find hanging on the outside door handle in the morning may serve as a second round of good news.

... outside toilets there in Wales, like my earlier neighbours? And is there a Corona shortage of TP again, despite of all the vaccination in the UK?

Christopher Schröder
Mervyn Henderson (X)

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 07:21
English to Russian
+ ...
Here is the job Mar 31, 2021

I would beg, kill or steal for:

Environmental simo in Tasmania!!!!!

I swear, with at least 3 full days at my regular rate of $750 I'd break every rule and blow my own bonus points with airlines and hotels to get there. I have plenty. I don't think I'll even be trying to apply but darn, I'm almost losing my sleep over it.

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I've only ever done one job for a German agency Apr 2, 2021

Chris S wrote:

I’ve been hanging around here in one way or another for at least 15 years, including one as a paying member, the rest as a freeloader, and despite stellar KudoZ rankings my exorbitant pricing structure has meant I’ve never had a job off ProZ before.

It’s come out of the blue from a random agency in an unlikely country. They didn’t haggle on the price, they have extended the deadline to suit my schedule, they are happy with delivery in Word, and they haven’t sent me anything to fill in or sign.

Sounds a bit too good to be true by all accounts, but they seem professional and like all German businesses it’s run by a bunch of doctors, and everyone knows you should always trust a doctor.

They presumably found me on here, as I don’t have a website or do any marketing, and it’s unlikely my fame will have drifted on the wind all the way to sunny Hamburg or Munich or wherever.

But I don’t dare ask them. I’m too ashamed. What if they didn’t find me on here and I asked and then they lost all respect for me as a professional?

Does that say something about me or something about this site?

They seemed very professional and everything went smoothly. I delivered the translation and at the end of the month (August 2014) I sent them the invoice, which they acknowledged. However, they suddenly stopped replying to my emails and I didn't get paid. I sent them three reminders but they never replied. They only owe me €65 but it was enough to put me off working for German agencies.

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:21
English to Turkish
One bad apple... Apr 3, 2021

Helena Chavarria wrote:
They seemed very professional and everything went smoothly. I delivered the translation and at the end of the month (August 2014) I sent them the invoice, which they acknowledged. However, they suddenly stopped replying to my emails and I didn't get paid. I sent them three reminders but they never replied. They only owe me €65 but it was enough to put me off working for German agencies.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, but I wouldn't be discouraged to work with agencies from one particular country because of one bad experience. If I did, I wouldn't be working with any UK translation agencies. The only time I had a payment issue was with that UK agency, their excuse for not paying was great: "We haven't received any payment from our client (which happened to be a major UK pharmaceutical brand), so as a result we're unable to pay our translators (the project was translated into 15-odd languages), sorry about that".

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

OMG. I think I just got my first ever job through ProZ!!!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »