Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
CNN Nov 5, 2020

I'd just like to say that I wince and grimace and grind my teeth just like Tom does at some things I hear, but I don't usually say it, and more often than not it takes a lot of determination and balls to say it (and so often, too ...!!!!), so full marks to the Linguistic Avenger there.

As for the way I comment on these things ... well, those are the habits of a lifetime, of someone who has to laugh rather than cry, and I can't do much about that, I'm afraid.

expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Matthias Brombach
Zibow Retailleau

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:25
French to English
+ ...
How unnecessary Nov 5, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
Meanwhile, I see not only did "Doorkins Magnificat" pass away, but the thread did too.

Why, what was the justification? Far more interesting than many other threads...

P.L.F. Persio

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Oracle in London Nov 6, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

so full marks to the Linguistic Avenger there.

Thank you for your constructive words, Mervyn. I mean, what would proz be without HIM? And I think it is time now to, like, thank HIM for this completely frivolous thread, although you may have other plans, and before HE changes his profile photo into wearing sunglasses. Therefore, please put all your "agrees" beneath HIS next post, whenever HE feels the need to exhibit himself to the public again here. Have a nice daaaayyyy!

[Bearbeitet am 2020-11-06 08:08 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Joe France
Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Don't pretend, Rachel Nov 6, 2020

Don't. Just don't. We could all see the way the cat thing was going. For a start, it was overtly religious. And it was only a matter of time before the word "pussy" was bandied about. After that, the flood gates open. Accept it. The thread is dead. It is deceased. It is defunct. It is no more. It is an ex-thread. It has passed away. It has shuffled off this mortal coil. It has gone to meet its maker.

P.L.F. Persio
Thomas T. Frost
expressisverbis

Zibow Retailleau
Zibow Retailleau  Identity Verified
Mauritius
Local time: 13:25
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sorry to interrupt the flow ... Nov 6, 2020

I was away for a while and evidently a lot had happened. I am very curious about this church cat. Is it too late for me to have a glimpse of that thread and which thread is it if I am allowed to ask? Is it the same thread as the 'diversity' one? Thanks!

[Edited at 2020-11-06 08:44 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No, not Diversity Nov 6, 2020

It was a separate one, called "Doorkins Magnificat", something like that. In the Animals We Have Loved section.

Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Sing "Soft Kitty" for me Nov 6, 2020

R.I.P., Doorkins Magnificat. You may be gone, but you'll never be forgotten.

Let's open our hearts to this big girl:

See more

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/oct/13/image-of-siberian-tiger-hugging-tree-wins-2020-wildlife-photographer-award-amur?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A well-deserved award Nov 6, 2020

P.L.F.Persio wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/oct/13/image-of-siberian-tiger-hugging-tree-wins-2020-wildlife-photographer-award-amur?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

She is a sweetie! My award goes to her

Rachel Fell
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Him Nov 6, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

HE doesn't know what he's talkng about. That third person person.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Hmm Nov 6, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Matthias Brombach wrote:

HE doesn't know what he's talkng about. That third person person.

Please don't quote wrong. Perhaps you should reconsider your post and I delete this one? Thanks.

[Bearbeitet am 2020-11-07 05:23 GMT]

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
This one has my vote too: Nov 6, 2020

"We have a lot of work to do"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF0w06DJj-g

Have some fun! Enjoy your weekend everyone!

[Edited at 2020-11-06 22:26 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aero update Nov 8, 2020

I think it's high time we had some information on developments with Scotland's Spanish Snacker Suspect, don't you? Did Angela set that trap for him, foosty or otherwise? Did he fall for it, or was it all a huge malentendu?

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Loved ones Nov 9, 2020

Marina Steinbach wrote:

Oliver Pekelharing wrote:

Our cat died yesterday, but our dog didn't.

I didn't know the cat, but I would like to express my heartfelt condolences to the dog's family and loved ones.

Sincerely,
Marina Steinbach

Dogs don't have loved ones.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Nov 9, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Marina Steinbach wrote:

Oliver Pekelharing wrote:

Our cat died yesterday, but our dog didn't.

I didn't know the cat, but I would like to express my heartfelt condolences to the dog's family and loved ones.

Sincerely,
Marina Steinbach

Dogs don't have loved ones.

What??? Mine loves me to the stars and back. He gets jealous if I take a baby in my arms, and when I take my neighbour's kid to look for snails in the garden, and when I show any kind of affection for any other dogs. He also loves my partner and children, our lodger, the young girl who took care of him before I adopted him and the woman who feeds him treats at the park. If he loves us, it logically follows that we are his loved ones.
The love of a dog is utterly astounding. While I've always done all I could for my dogs, I can't help but feel that we humans do not merit the love dogs lavish on us. Maybe you should get a dog, Tom, because feeling loved is, like, pretty amazing.

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
Michele Fauble
MollyRose

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Cats vs dogs Nov 9, 2020

From the comedy Meet the Parents with Robert de Niro (which is a riot):

“- Jack Byrnes: Greg, how come you don't like cats?
- Greg Focker: I don't like cats. I-I just - I just prefer dogs. I mean, I'm just more of a dog kind of, you know. Come home, wagging their little tails, happy to see you kind of...
- Jack Byrnes: You need that assurance, do you? You prefer an emotionally shallow animal?
- Greg Focker: I...
- Jack Byrnes: You see, Greg, when you
... See more
From the comedy Meet the Parents with Robert de Niro (which is a riot):

“- Jack Byrnes: Greg, how come you don't like cats?
- Greg Focker: I don't like cats. I-I just - I just prefer dogs. I mean, I'm just more of a dog kind of, you know. Come home, wagging their little tails, happy to see you kind of...
- Jack Byrnes: You need that assurance, do you? You prefer an emotionally shallow animal?
- Greg Focker: I...
- Jack Byrnes: You see, Greg, when you yell at a dog, his tail will go between his legs and cover his genitals, his ears will go down. A dog is very easy to break, but cats make you work for their affection. They don't sell out the way dogs do.”
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
Kay Denney

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »