Off topic: Beautiful story with (over) literal translation
Thread poster: Phil Hand
Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 23:57
Chinese to English
May 11, 2019

There's a lovely story on Slate where the author uses highly literal translations of formal Korean pleasantries to create a sense of estrangement. The narrator is a Korean-American, and I think this form captures her sense of understanding-but-unfamiliarity really well.

“OK, fine,” she said. “Since you’re a special customer.”

“I won’t forget it,” my mother said.

The girl wrapped the coat in a bag. “Oh, I can’t spit on a smiling face.�
... See more
There's a lovely story on Slate where the author uses highly literal translations of formal Korean pleasantries to create a sense of estrangement. The narrator is a Korean-American, and I think this form captures her sense of understanding-but-unfamiliarity really well.

“OK, fine,” she said. “Since you’re a special customer.”

“I won’t forget it,” my mother said.

The girl wrapped the coat in a bag. “Oh, I can’t spit on a smiling face.”

“Yes, you’ve made us smile.” My mother eased up and took the girl’s hand. “You’re so smart and fast. You’re a good girl. You don’t say too much, you don’t give too much.”

There's some descriptions of eating disorders that are a bit close to the bone, so be warned!

Edit: I forgot to put the link in, what a doofus: https://slate.com/human-interest/2019/05/the-coat-korean-mother-personal-essay.html
Sorry!

[Edited at 2019-05-11 08:25 GMT]
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Elizabeth Tamblin

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
something hidden? May 14, 2019

Did the girl really want the jacket?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beautiful story with (over) literal translation

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »