Thread poster: Daria Hussels
Daria Hussels
Daria Hussels  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:07
English to German
Feb 15, 2019

Hello all

I am attending the ITI conference for the first time this year and also booked a space at the gala dinner. Unfortunately, I have not yet received the dress code. Has anyone been to an ITI gala dinner before and could give me a few pointers? Any advice would be much appreciated

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Dress code for academic conferences: traditional confidence Feb 16, 2019

While the biz style can go from casual, smart, and smart casual to strict business attire, usually it should be (1) comfortable, (2) traditional, (3) of soft and natural shades, (4) not easily rumpled, and (5) multi-layered (esp. in stuffy rooms and sultry days). Furthermore, a change of clothes may prove worthy even for one-day functions, not to mention three-days events.

The more [important] people can see you (presenting?), the more strict and traditional should be the style, bec
... See more
While the biz style can go from casual, smart, and smart casual to strict business attire, usually it should be (1) comfortable, (2) traditional, (3) of soft and natural shades, (4) not easily rumpled, and (5) multi-layered (esp. in stuffy rooms and sultry days). Furthermore, a change of clothes may prove worthy even for one-day functions, not to mention three-days events.

The more [important] people can see you (presenting?), the more strict and traditional should be the style, because--
never shock or outshine your partners and prospects
;)

Cheers
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Formal? Feb 16, 2019

I would have thought... try and ask them on twitter, if you use it...

https://twitter.com/ConferenceITI?lang=en

Daria Hussels

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Probably not... Feb 16, 2019

DZiW wrote:

(esp. in stuffy rooms and sultry days).

Sultry day in Sheffield in May? Somehow, I doubt it...

DZiW (X)

Daria Hussels
United Kingdom
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 16, 2019

DZiW wrote:

The more [important] people can see you (presenting?), the more strict and traditional should be the style, because--
never shock or outshine your partners and prospects
;)

Cheers

Hi DZiW, thank you for the insights So, the issue here is: There are two conference days and a celebratory gala dinner. I am already sorted for the conference days, but I am unsure about how formal the gala is going to be. Traditionally, a "gala" would mean full-length gowns for ladies in my country, or cocktail dress/pant suit for a less formal gala.

Daria Hussels
United Kingdom
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Great idea! Feb 16, 2019

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

I would have thought... try and ask them on twitter, if you use it...

https://twitter.com/ConferenceITI?lang=en

Thank you for providing me with the twitter handle. I will try to re-activate my old twitter account and see what happens Cheers!

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
resolving a dilemma Feb 16, 2019

@Daria, asking directly an authorized person should do. I just checked youtube for ITI conference and it seems about mostly smart casual. However, when in doubt, they recommend going for the middle: large or small, long or short, dark or bright, heavy or light, thick or thin, strict or casual, and so on. Plan B or C is also an option to consider whereas the confidence is a must.

@Giovanni, I appreciate your Italiano vero sparkling humo(u)r from Albion, yet as noted:
Dress code for academic conferences
Not sure about ladies, but in suit and black tie even some thirty minutes may be enough to feel as if in Africa. Besides, without a buffer zone, long air-conditioning makes my throat tickling and my nose running, alas. That's why I always have a little bottle of water and some peppermints (or at least a chewing gum--when alone).

Daria Hussels
P.L.F. Persio

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 20:07
Dutch to English
+ ...
No long gown Feb 17, 2019

[/quote]
Hi DZiW, thank you for the insights So, the issue here is: There are two conference days and a celebratory gala dinner. I am already sorted for the conference days, but I am unsure about how formal the gala is going to be. Traditionally, a "gala" would mean full-length gowns for ladies in my country, or cocktail dress/pant suit for a less formal gala. [/quote]

A "gala" at a professional conference do
... See more
[/quote]
Hi DZiW, thank you for the insights So, the issue here is: There are two conference days and a celebratory gala dinner. I am already sorted for the conference days, but I am unsure about how formal the gala is going to be. Traditionally, a "gala" would mean full-length gowns for ladies in my country, or cocktail dress/pant suit for a less formal gala. [/quote]

A "gala" at a professional conference doesn't usually require full-length gowns but I think a short dress or pant suit would be nice, nothing too bright, shiny, flouncy, or glittery, and one that leaves you enough room for dinner. You'd want to look like a dressed-up professional.

[Edited at 2019-02-17 21:19 GMT]
Collapse

Daria Hussels

Daria Hussels
United Kingdom
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Good to know Feb 18, 2019

@Tina Vonhof

OK, the sweeping sequined gown and organza stole will (sadly) have to stay at home, then

[Edited at 2019-02-18 13:33 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio

Daria Hussels
United Kingdom
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
An update Feb 18, 2019

As suggested by Giovanni, I tweeted the organizers. I got this response: There's no official dress code, but many take the opportunity to 'dress to impress.'

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Beware Feb 18, 2019

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes"

Henry David Thoreau

[Edited at 2019-02-18 15:00 GMT]

Daria Hussels
P.L.F. Persio
Ester Vidal
Liviu-Lee Roth

Daria Hussels
United Kingdom
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Cheers to that! Feb 18, 2019

@Tom:

Panopticon
Panopticon
Spain
Local time: 03:07
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
No one would object Feb 18, 2019

Daria Hussels wrote:

Hello all

I am attending the ITI conference for the first time this year and also booked a space at the gala dinner. Unfortunately, I have not yet received the dress code. Has anyone been to an ITI gala dinner before and could give me a few pointers? Any advice would be much appreciated

I'm pretty sure that nobody would object if you went in drag

Daria Hussels

Yvonne Gallagher
Yvonne Gallagher
Ireland
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
smart casual Feb 19, 2019

definitely no ballgowns!! Some people don't bother dressing up at all and go along in everyday clothes, especially those flying in with small carry-ons. Most (males and females) just wear some nice smart casual clothes. Photo below of the last gala dinner in Cardiff. See you there!

18519769_1606781172707871_6818790242895417388_n

[Edited at 2019-02-20 00:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-02-20 00:02 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-02-20 00:04 GMT]

Daria Hussels

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 21:07
English to Russian
+ ...
It's always better Feb 20, 2019

To feel slightly underdressed, which is usually in our ladies' minds only:-), than even slightly overdressed, IMHO.

Daria Hussels

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dress code at the ITI conference gala dinner 2019

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »