Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Off topic: Have you got at least one IKEA item in your house/office?
Thread poster: Gianni Pastore
tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Local time: 10:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
a lot Nov 20, 2008

We were just there yesterday, too, and brought back several odds and ends, some that we needed and some that we didn't (my favorite: a small fern in a white china pot for just over one euro).

We have a lot of their furniture, too: all of the living room furniture, kitchen table and chairs, desks and light fixture in the office, night tables in the bedroom, and some extra wooden folding chairs. Some of our bedding, a few throw rugs, a set of dishes and wine glasses and countless kitc
... See more
We were just there yesterday, too, and brought back several odds and ends, some that we needed and some that we didn't (my favorite: a small fern in a white china pot for just over one euro).

We have a lot of their furniture, too: all of the living room furniture, kitchen table and chairs, desks and light fixture in the office, night tables in the bedroom, and some extra wooden folding chairs. Some of our bedding, a few throw rugs, a set of dishes and wine glasses and countless kitchen gadgets have come from there as well.

I love Ikea.
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
I started in 1965 Nov 20, 2008

being a Swede, of course

Mats

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
Many! Nov 20, 2008

There is not one single room in our house without an item from IKEA - furniture, storage boxes, kitchen gadgets, cushions, curtains etc. My first furniture I bought for my own money was the shelf Ivar which was just perfect for my bachelor's flat back in the late 80's. Still have that good old piece.

Another good thing is the food shop where we Swedes "in the diaspora" can get cheese, cookies, bread, sweets (incl. salt licorice), caviar and more. It's just a pity that they stopped s
... See more
There is not one single room in our house without an item from IKEA - furniture, storage boxes, kitchen gadgets, cushions, curtains etc. My first furniture I bought for my own money was the shelf Ivar which was just perfect for my bachelor's flat back in the late 80's. Still have that good old piece.

Another good thing is the food shop where we Swedes "in the diaspora" can get cheese, cookies, bread, sweets (incl. salt licorice), caviar and more. It's just a pity that they stopped selling the good-tasting Swedish beer Old Gold some years ago when new recycling regulations for glass bottles were introduced in Germany. Madeleine, can could you please ask Mr. Kamprad about that too?

Erik
Collapse

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:30
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Confession Nov 20, 2008

Erik Hansson wrote:

There is not one single room in our house without an item from IKEA

Erik

Hi Erik

There is not one single item from IKEA in our house...

Their nearest branch is too far away.

Still, we did our bit for Sweden when we bought a Saab. That was a very good decision.

Irrespective of the brand names, I wonder how much of the stuff in my house comes from China?

Rgds
Chris

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:30
English to French
+ ...
Depends... Nov 20, 2008

Textklick wrote:

Irrespective of the brand names, I wonder how much of the stuff in my house comes from China?

That would depend on how old your goods are and if you consume as much as the average people in North America and Europe. Chances are, if you update things as they become obsolete, you already have a lot of Chinese goods in your home. I am sure just ten years ago, the Chinese goods in your home were limited mostly to watches, clocks and the occasional Smiling Buddha. A sharp contrast with the present! In fact, I just bought some chestnuts in an Italian grocery. They were made in China [sic] - and kosher to boot!

Try as I might, I just can't avoid buying Chinese (and generally Asian). Not that I have anything against Asian goods (Daewoo appliances are the way of the future) - but I prefer supporting my local economy, which nowadays is no easy feat.

Pia Maljanen
Pia Maljanen  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 11:30
Finnish to English
+ ...
Of course Nov 20, 2008

We have a heap of things from Ikea (mostly furniture). However, I only go there when I actually need something and very seldom do I end up buying anything else than the thing I went there to buy. Our latest purchase from Ikea was a new desk.

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
too many Nov 20, 2008

It would be quicker to count the items in my house that don't come from Ikea.

A year ago, a branch of Ikea opened 5 minutes walk from my house:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/store/coventry

Now there's no more room for Swedish furniture, but I do eat Swedish crispbread and smoked salmon regularly, and drink their cheap coffee and Old Gold beer (still available here). An
... See more
It would be quicker to count the items in my house that don't come from Ikea.

A year ago, a branch of Ikea opened 5 minutes walk from my house:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/store/coventry

Now there's no more room for Swedish furniture, but I do eat Swedish crispbread and smoked salmon regularly, and drink their cheap coffee and Old Gold beer (still available here). And going for dinner in their restaurant can sometimes be cheaper than cooking at home.
Collapse

Penelope Ausejo
Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
2 white lack shelves Nov 20, 2008

I've got two white lack shelves. I like IKEA, it is sooooo cheap, but still so fashionable. It is just like Zara, but with furniture Love it!

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
IKEA restaurant Nov 20, 2008

Angela Dickson wrote:

Now there's no more room for Swedish furniture, but I do eat Swedish crispbread and smoked salmon regularly, and drink their cheap coffee and Old Gold beer (still available here). And going for dinner in their restaurant can sometimes be cheaper than cooking at home.

Life is not fair. Old Gold used to be the only acceptable Swedish beer available outside Sweden.

I now and then go to their restaurant, and also fill in their questionnaire if I was satisfied with the meal. On principle, I always write my comments about the raw potatoes and the cold coffee in Swedish. They might have to look for a Swedish-German translator in the neighbourhood, won't they?

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
^(-.-)^ Nov 20, 2008

@ Özden: oh come on, Özden, you can confess you had some ice cream, no one will ever know this apart from me

@ Paola: Yep, crisps on the way back it's pretty much standard for me (but no beer since I'm driving). Celebrating the happy hour the swedish way

@ Cristina: As far as I know, Ikea in Italy is pronounced pretty muche the same
... See more
@ Özden: oh come on, Özden, you can confess you had some ice cream, no one will ever know this apart from me

@ Paola: Yep, crisps on the way back it's pretty much standard for me (but no beer since I'm driving). Celebrating the happy hour the swedish way

@ Cristina: As far as I know, Ikea in Italy is pronounced pretty muche the same all over the place, north to south (exactly as it's spelled).

@ Tex & Lilith: mmm... do you want me to phone Mr.Ikea for setting up a store close to your block? With all that money I've given to him, he owe me a favour or two, I'll tell ya

@ Viktoria: yes indeed, storage is GREAT. Every time I need something to box stuff in, well chances are that Ikea got it. Very clever use of space

Best
G

[Edited at 2008-11-20 09:00 GMT]
Collapse

Paola Dentifrigi
Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Gianni, take it home!! Nov 20, 2008

You can open a beer at home, it's great with the crisps, believe me. Also their mustard...
As far as pronounciation is concerned: you know I'm from Tuscany (we are both Etruscan I guess), so if I'm lazy I call it "I'ea" (here in Florence it'd be Ihea, in Livorno I'ea)

To be honest, I like I'ea, but if I could afford design furniture or antiques (and you know the great stuff you see around here), well... I might
... See more
You can open a beer at home, it's great with the crisps, believe me. Also their mustard...
As far as pronounciation is concerned: you know I'm from Tuscany (we are both Etruscan I guess), so if I'm lazy I call it "I'ea" (here in Florence it'd be Ihea, in Livorno I'ea)

To be honest, I like I'ea, but if I could afford design furniture or antiques (and you know the great stuff you see around here), well... I might just stick to the crisps
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes... :-( Nov 20, 2008

Yes, some wire mesh trays my partner bought. I don't like them, and would even prefer plastic trays, but... I did not go to buy trays when we moved to this new office; she went to get trays, so it was her right to choose them.

[Edited at 2008-11-20 09:38 GMT]

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Thanks Gianni Nov 20, 2008

@ Tex & Lilith: mmm... do you want me to phone Mr.Ikea for setting up a store close to your block? With all that money I've given to him, he owe me a favour or two, I'll tell ya

Best
G

Ciao Gianni

Sure.

Please tell him I'll buy his "Kiänti Klässikö' wine rack with pleasure.

Chris

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
A brand new kitchen coming just before Chirstmas Nov 20, 2008

...which means that we'll spend the Christmas hols undoing flatpacks and trying to figure out how to put it together again but I'm looking forward to it.

Paola wrote:

Regarding proununciation, I think I'm the only one in the UK pronouncing it EE-kay-ah. That's how I learned to pronounce it in Germany, and I'm sticking with it, even if nobody here knows what I'm talking about. "What shop? Oh you mean eye-keeee-ah!!

Michelle Plaistow
Michelle Plaistow  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Of course! Nov 20, 2008

Just moved into my first flat, so obviously it looks like an Ikea showroom! Almost everything is from there.

Here's a little game for you all:
http://www.blogadilla.com/2008/05/11/the-blogadilla-swedish-furniture-name-generator/

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have you got at least one IKEA item in your house/office?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »