Off topic: Annoying fraud mails: "you are entitled to 1 million pounds"
Thread poster: Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:06
English to Russian
+ ...
Jun 3, 2008

Over last week I have received about 6-7 notices on one million prize awards to which I am entitled.

All of them look like prepared from one template

And they have phone numbers in UK where I am supposed to call and claim my prize.

Can someone give me a phone or email of some police officer in UK dealing with such kind of fraud.
I would like to forward all these letter to authorities.
I think that will be a better solution to stop this spam than
... See more
Over last week I have received about 6-7 notices on one million prize awards to which I am entitled.

All of them look like prepared from one template

And they have phone numbers in UK where I am supposed to call and claim my prize.

Can someone give me a phone or email of some police officer in UK dealing with such kind of fraud.
I would like to forward all these letter to authorities.
I think that will be a better solution to stop this spam than all email filters.

Thank in advance

[Edited at 2008-06-03 16:13]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-06-03 22:26]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-06-03 22:28]

[Edited at 2008-06-04 13:05]
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:06
English to French
+ ...
I also get them Jun 3, 2008

I get this kind of "good news" fairly often - except that I get them over the phone! What a nuisance!

It seems the the crooksters who are behind these messages are now aware that people tend to hang up very fast, so they have now even adapted their messages. They don't even tell me who they are anymore, or what exactly I won. The recorded message goes something like this:

Hello. Please, press nine to claim your prize. If you hang up, there will be no other opportunit
... See more
I get this kind of "good news" fairly often - except that I get them over the phone! What a nuisance!

It seems the the crooksters who are behind these messages are now aware that people tend to hang up very fast, so they have now even adapted their messages. They don't even tell me who they are anymore, or what exactly I won. The recorded message goes something like this:

Hello. Please, press nine to claim your prize. If you hang up, there will be no other opportunity for you to claim your prize. Please press nine.

That's it. Of course, I hang up. But these calls have become such a nuisance that I am pondering reporting it to the police. Especially since Canadian law requires the caller to give me a means to unsubscribe from their list, which is not the case, and thus, this constitutes harassment according to the law.

I don't think you need to get in touch with the British authorities. Just tell your local police department and they should take it from there. Other than that, there are many places on the internet where you can report this.
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:06
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Link Jun 3, 2008

This is advice from the Metropolitan (London) Police in the UK. You may find it useful.
http://www.met.police.uk/computercrime/

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:06
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
re: link Jun 3, 2008

Thank you, Jack!

Thinking about 8 millions won over last few days...
Maybe I should stop translating :0)

[Edited at 2008-06-03 21:15]

maryblack
maryblack  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:06
Member (2013)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It could be worse! Jun 4, 2008

It could be worse! In the past few days I've started getting spam messages saying something like "Now that's an ugly face you're putting on, Mary". Wow! What a pleasant way to start the day!!!!

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 03:06
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
The best adress for it ... Jun 4, 2008

http://www.419eater.com

(of course not belittling the effect a police truncheon can have ...)

EDIT: I assume it's yet another Nigerian connection scam via E-mail - NOT a phone call as Victoria understood it.

[Edited at 2008-06-04 15:40]

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Why not have some fun....? Jun 5, 2008

I regularly get this kind of thing, sometimes two on the same day.....

"Dear, Esteemed, Illustrious Mr. Watkinson Esquire,

I happen to have 12 million dollars etc..........................."

The usual recommendation (conventional wisdom) is never to answer.

I do.

I write back saying "Hi, that's fantastic. I'm delighted with your more than generous offer of XXX million USD. But please, I've just changed email address, so could you
... See more
I regularly get this kind of thing, sometimes two on the same day.....

"Dear, Esteemed, Illustrious Mr. Watkinson Esquire,

I happen to have 12 million dollars etc..........................."

The usual recommendation (conventional wisdom) is never to answer.

I do.

I write back saying "Hi, that's fantastic. I'm delighted with your more than generous offer of XXX million USD. But please, I've just changed email address, so could you reply to my new address which is (here I insert the email address of the other scammer).

Seems to keep them busy.

They've never replied to date.

Cheers,
Andy
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 10:06
Chinese to English
+ ...
Just 1 million? Feb 20, 2021

Pfft, I've gotten more in the past month from UN corona relief funds alone.

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
? Feb 20, 2021

Lincoln Hui wrote:

Pfft, I've gotten more in the past month from UN corona relief funds alone.

Are you unhappy Lincoln?

Bored?

Frightened by the pandemic?

Claustrophobic, perhaps?

A touch itchy-kitchy-koo?

Please. Don't hold back. Tell us everything. You know the first step in getting help is admitting there's a problem...

We're all ears....and happy to help you.

What's your problem?

expressisverbis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Annoying fraud mails: "you are entitled to 1 million pounds"

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »