Thread poster: Ilse Heyrman
Ilse Heyrman
Ilse Heyrman  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:21
English to Dutch
+ ...
Apr 29, 2019

I have been asked to quote for a transcription job (Dutch - Dutch, my native language). The video is 54 minutes long. I regularly do subtitling but have not often done transcription. What would be a decent rate for this type of job?

I do not want to underquote but I obviously I would like to get the job, so any guidance would be most welcome.

thanks for any feedback.

Ilse

Khalid Sabili
Khalid Sabili  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:21
English to Dutch
+ ...
Depends Apr 29, 2019

Ilse Heyrman wrote:

I have been asked to quote for a transcription job (Dutch - Dutch, my native language). The video is 54 minutes long. I regularly do subtitling but have not often done transcription. What would be a decent rate for this type of job?

I do not want to underquote but I obviously I would like to get the job, so any guidance would be most welcome.

thanks for any feedback.

Ilse

I would charge my hourly rate as it could take anything between 3 to 10 hours to transcribe, depending on the quality and clarity.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:21
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Towards the top end, I'd say Apr 29, 2019

Khalid Sabili wrote:
I would charge my hourly rate as it could take anything between 3 to 10 hours to transcribe, depending on the quality and clarity.

I've never managed to transcribe an hour in three hours; more like five. But maybe I'm not ultra-fast. As you say, speed depends on so many different things:
Number of speakers (and how each has to be identified)
Quality of the recording
Density of speech - obviously, it takes less time to transcribe the silent periods
Mood, accent and diction of the speakers (imagine an argument vs. a presentation, for example)
etc.

Do make sure you get the entire audio before committing yourself, and do spot-checks throughout the file. You may just want to turn the job down as some are quite simply impossible. Ask yourself why they aren't going to an audio-typist - they should be the experts, and cheaper.

Ilse Heyrman
Khalid Sabili

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for transcription job Dutch - Dutch

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »