Thread poster: julie hughes
julie hughes
julie hughes
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:36
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Apr 8, 2019

Hi, can anyone please tell me what a reasonable price per house would be for transcription work English to English? Many thanks.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
? Apr 8, 2019

julie hughes wrote:

Hi, can anyone please tell me what a reasonable price per house would be for transcription work English to English? Many thanks.

Per house?

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Depends Apr 8, 2019

julie hughes wrote:

That depends if it's a detached, semi-detached or terraced house, a bungalow or something else.

In case you meant 'hour', I charge €6 per audio minute, but many clients expect to pay less. It can take 10 minutes to transcribe 1 audio minute. It depends on your hourly target rate what you want to charge.

Axelle H.
julie hughes
Hedwig Spitzer (X)

julie hughes
julie hughes
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ooops Apr 8, 2019

Sorry, per hour???

julie hughes
julie hughes
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for your help! Apr 8, 2019

I deserved that comment!!!

Thanks Thomas, very helpful.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Dictation Apr 8, 2019

You could speed things up by using Dictation.

[Edited at 2019-04-08 17:02 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
julie hughes

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Homophones Apr 8, 2019

Tom in London wrote:

Indeed, but you need to be careful with homophones and near homophones so you don't end up with 'the proof of the putting is in the heating', 'the capitol of Columbia is Bogotá' or similar nonsense.

julie hughes

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Corrections Apr 8, 2019

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Indeed, but you need to be careful with homophones and near homophones so you don't end up with 'the proof of the putting is in the heating', 'the capitol of Columbia is Bogotá' or similar nonsense.

Well, all dictated text needs corrections here and there. But when it gets the words right (99% of the time) Dictation doesn't make typos and saves a LOT of time, whilst also sparing you from Repetitive Strain Injury.

[Edited at 2019-04-08 17:28 GMT]

julie hughes
neilmac
Viviane Marx

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Agree Apr 8, 2019

Tom in London wrote:

Well, all dictated text needs corrections here and there. But when it gets the words right (99% of the time) Dictation doesn't make typos and saves a LOT of time

I totally agree. I intend to try Dragon (since I don't use Apple devices). I just get those amusing Siri errors from a friend from time to time, but it's obviously unimportant on Facebook and in private messages.

Tom in London wrote:
whilst also sparing you from Repetitive Strain Injury.

What if you get hoarse and start croaking like Theresa May after dictating all day? ☺

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yodel Apr 8, 2019

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

What if you get hoarse and start croaking like Theresa May after dictating all day? ☺

... and yodelling...

Thomas T. Frost

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
The house whisperer Apr 8, 2019

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

I rarely sound like Theresa May, but I know that when I have a sore throat, whispering works just as well.

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:36
Member (2005)
French to English
RSI Apr 8, 2019

@Tom in London

Whichever method, ours is a Repetitive Sress Industry

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Whispering Apr 8, 2019

Chris S wrote:

whispering works just as well.

Sounds like strong and stable voice recognition.

Christopher Schröder

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 22:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
It varies Apr 10, 2019

In my experience, clients tend to underestimate the time and effort required in transcription. My colleague and I are doing a transcription + translation job this week. It is for a long-standing client, a small company without a lot of money to throw around. The transcribed content is around 3000 words, which we shall bill at the normal per word rate. The transcription, by the time we finish it, will have taken about three hours in real-time, but we are only going to bill them for two hours beca... See more
In my experience, clients tend to underestimate the time and effort required in transcription. My colleague and I are doing a transcription + translation job this week. It is for a long-standing client, a small company without a lot of money to throw around. The transcribed content is around 3000 words, which we shall bill at the normal per word rate. The transcription, by the time we finish it, will have taken about three hours in real-time, but we are only going to bill them for two hours because it's a long-standing client, we like the work, and it's nice to be nice.

The speakers on this occasion are mainly Spanish or French, and in general it's not too difficult to understand what they're saying. However, a few months ago we did a similar job for the same company and the two interlocutors were Spanish and Chinese, and their English wasn't as readily understandable as this time round; on that occasion we only billed them a couple of hours as well, for the same reason, because we would rather our clients came back to us than looked for someone cheaper. I like to think of it as a sort of spontaneous discount offered to clients as an incentive.

As to a reasonable price, I simply use my own current hourly rate, which is roughly the same as what my mechanic, plumber or electrician would charge, perhaps a bit higher. The same as I pay my dentist for a filling. I imagine this rate will vary depending on average prices in your country/language pair. I live in Spain and my main pair is ES-EN. I don't really know much about Portuguese rates, but I imagine they will be roughly similar.

[Edited at 2019-04-10 08:22 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-04-10 08:24 GMT]
Collapse

julie hughes

julie hughes
julie hughes
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 10, 2019

Thanks Neil. This job has got Indian accents which is not easy to understand but I've already arranged a price per hour - let's see how long it takes me to do it!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Price query

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »