Quote suggestion for short story
Thread poster: Felix CHARNLEY
Felix CHARNLEY
Felix CHARNLEY  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:46
Mar 20, 2019

Hello all,

Would anyone be so kind as to suggest at a glance what he/she might charge for a translation of the following short story (digits please). https://bit.ly/2HOlFcd

Thank you kindly...

Khalid Sabili
Khalid Sabili  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:46
English to Dutch
+ ...
Unknown where link leads to Mar 21, 2019

Hi Felix, nothing personal, but I am very wary of clicking on links which lead to concealed webpages as is the case with bit.ly links.

Perhaps you could share the actual link?

Regards,

Khalid

Gitte Hovedskov (X)

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Work scope Mar 21, 2019

Hello Felix,

since it's a short story, and without even clicking on the link for the same reason Khalid stated, you should charge your regular per word rate.

Best,
Thayenga

Tom in London
Khalid Sabili
Eliza Hall
Natalia Pedrosa

Felix CHARNLEY
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
https://issuu.com/sanjosereves2/docs/2018_666vol2_diegovanderlaat Mar 29, 2019

Thanks for your kind replies. Here is the actual link. Assuming I don't have any normal rates, what would you charge (digits please) if you were taking on this job?

Thank you

[Edited at 2019-03-29 13:06 GMT]

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
sorry but Mar 29, 2019

Felix, most people don't like to give out their rates on Internet, especially on a public forum that everyone can see. Suppose I told you I would charge X euro cents a word as my price for your story because I think it'll be quick and easy. Then if a client sees it and sends me a tough translation, expecting that rate, they'll be upset to see that I would charge them more.
I believe there are "average rates" cited for each language pair somewhere on this website, which could perhaps give
... See more
Felix, most people don't like to give out their rates on Internet, especially on a public forum that everyone can see. Suppose I told you I would charge X euro cents a word as my price for your story because I think it'll be quick and easy. Then if a client sees it and sends me a tough translation, expecting that rate, they'll be upset to see that I would charge them more.
I believe there are "average rates" cited for each language pair somewhere on this website, which could perhaps give you an idea of the going rate.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
What do you really want? Mar 29, 2019

Felix CHARNLEY wrote:
Here is the actual link. Assuming I don't have any normal rates, what would you charge (digits please) if you were taking on this job?

Every single freelance translator will surely have "normal rates", won't they? And why the request for "digits"? What is it that you're actually after? Is it just clickbait, or something else? I personally don't trust your posts here at all.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:46
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
7 years experience stated in your profile Mar 29, 2019

Felix CHARNLEY wrote:

Assuming I don't have any normal rates

After 7 years, you surely would have an idea how long it would take for you to translate the given text? You should also know how much you need to make per hour to live, or how much you are making when doing other jobs.
If the client needs a lump sum quote, then it is a simple multiplication: Hours needed x hourly rate.

It is totally irrelevant how much any other translator would charge, as everyone has a different speed, different living standards and circumstances. You surely would not want to match the rates of a translator who lives in a place where a living wage is a fraction of yours.

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
? Mar 30, 2019

Perhaps you could just tell us the number of words. We don't need to see the text itself.

Felix CHARNLEY
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your replies Apr 2, 2019

It's like 45 pages of actual text and a full text page has roughly 200 words. Standard Spanish>English rates are $0.11 p/ word. I guess that means I have to charge 0.11x200x45 = $990. Sound like a lot, right?

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Consider how much you'd make per day or per hour Apr 2, 2019

Felix CHARNLEY wrote:

It's like 45 pages of actual text and a full text page has roughly 200 words. Standard Spanish>English rates are $0.11 p/ word. I guess that means I have to charge 0.11x200x45 = $990. Sound like a lot, right?

Yes, $990 is a lot more than $105. But then again, it's a lot less than $3,056. It all depends on how long it will take you to complete the job.

Estimate how long it will take you to complete the translation (and all that comes with it). Then divide the amount by the time to find out how much you'd make per hour (or per day or whatever makes the most sense to you), and then decide if that is fair/enough/too much and adapt your price accordingly.

It doesn't matter whether you charge by the word, by the page, by the hour or by any other unit – the important bit is how much you get in return for your time and effort. It's the same for any job.

Sheila Wilson
Kay Denney

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quote suggestion for short story

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »