To my Brazilian fellow translators: looking for a good bank to handle international wire transfers
Thread poster: Luiza Kipper
Luiza Kipper
Luiza Kipper  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:02
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Feb 28, 2019

Recently, two of the main agencies I work for changed their payment method to wire transfer exclusively, and will no longer use Paypal, which is my preferred method. I usually ask for Paypal because of its undeniable ease to use and instantaneous payments. When I tried to receive wire transfer payments through my bank (CAIXA) a few years back, I encountered several problems:

- Wire transfers were taking months to reach my account (the longest took 3 months and 11 days, to be precis
... See more
Recently, two of the main agencies I work for changed their payment method to wire transfer exclusively, and will no longer use Paypal, which is my preferred method. I usually ask for Paypal because of its undeniable ease to use and instantaneous payments. When I tried to receive wire transfer payments through my bank (CAIXA) a few years back, I encountered several problems:

- Wire transfers were taking months to reach my account (the longest took 3 months and 11 days, to be precise)
- CAIXA would not notify me when the money was available, causing lots of anxiety, uncertainty, and unnecessary trips to the bank to check on the wire transfer status
- CAIXA required me to sign several papers in person to receive the money, which was impractical and also impossible during extended periods out of the country (one of the reasons I work in this business is because it allows me to travel)
- There was a fixed fee for the receiver, which at that time rendered amounts any lower than 500 USD disadvantageous in comparison to Paypal

So, to Brazilian translators: how do you handle wire transfer payments? Which bank do you use? How does it compare to CAIXA, considering the above-mentioned issues? Many thanks in advance.

[Edited at 2019-02-28 21:07 GMT]
Collapse

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:02
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Have you tried... Feb 28, 2019

Skrill? https://account.skrill.com

The only disadvantage is that fees are quite high for withdrawals, but the card works everywhere for shopping and online payments.
Good luck.

Loreta Saddi
Loreta Saddi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:02
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Wire transfers Mar 1, 2019

Luiza,

I think you should stay with Caixa. It's been a while since I did my last wire transfer in Brazil but I think Itaú has the same problems you mention at Caixa. They don't make it easy. Try to ask for payments to be made through PayPal, it's the easiest way (and less expensive).

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

To my Brazilian fellow translators: looking for a good bank to handle international wire transfers

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »