Will Volny
Will Volny  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:29
Member (2018)
Czech to English
+ ...
Feb 24, 2019

I'm getting used to bidding on straight up Source>Target translations and revisions/proofreading projects. But how does one bid on a webpage revision project? It is estimated to be over 500 pages - does one charge hourly, or by the page? If by page, I don't think a webpage has 300w/pg.
Any advice/experience will be helpful! I will look up average words per webpage and keep working up a quote, but the longer I do this, I realize how much I don't know....
kind regards,
Will

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:29
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Proofreading/Editing jobs Feb 24, 2019

The only fair way - for both sides - to quote on any revision jobs, translations or websites, is by the hour. You can offer to timestamp your work so that your customer knows when and for how long you've worked on the project.

Kevin Fulton
Philippe Etienne
Elif Baykara Narbay

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:29
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Editing can't be by word, line or page Feb 24, 2019

With editing, everything depends on the quality of the text you get. If you come up with a rate per word then you could take three times as long on one 1,000-word text as another. Effectively, the worse they write, the less you get paid for correcting it. How does that do anyone any favours?

The only ways that make any sense are:
1. Per hour of your time (not how long an agency tells you it will take!);
2. A total for the job - but of course that's only possible if you'v
... See more
With editing, everything depends on the quality of the text you get. If you come up with a rate per word then you could take three times as long on one 1,000-word text as another. Effectively, the worse they write, the less you get paid for correcting it. How does that do anyone any favours?

The only ways that make any sense are:
1. Per hour of your time (not how long an agency tells you it will take!);
2. A total for the job - but of course that's only possible if you've had the chance to scan the entire text carefully. Don't just look at the first page, as that's often the best.

Personally, I always quote per hour. I also give the client an absolute maximum spend, when requested. That's a good third more than I think I should need. It works well as when I charge less they subjectively feel that they're getting a discount . I don't provide proof of time spent, but if there's ever a challenge then I can defend myself with my records.
Collapse

Carolina Finley
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Ester Vidal
Philippe Etienne

Joel Pina Diaz
Joel Pina Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
PHP, HTLM, Piton, Java, what? Feb 24, 2019

Use an editor where you can put aside the text from code, counting text is now easy, base your work in words if you charge by hour you also have to edit so, in order to quote, take your time compare and calculate the number of words... If php use thi... See more
Use an editor where you can put aside the text from code, counting text is now easy, base your work in words if you charge by hour you also have to edit so, in order to quote, take your time compare and calculate the number of words... If php use this - https://www.rapidphpeditor.com/ if you have html - https://html-online.com/editor/ - and so on... depending the PL used... either way you will need it to review or to translate... Good look...

[Edited at 2019-02-24 17:08 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bidding on Webpages

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »