Inez Ulrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:18
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Feb 20, 2018

you are right. Yesterday was really bad but I pretty soon remembered this quote: "You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger." Anger is not healthy. I can tale care of this without a red face.

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
Once again... Feb 20, 2018

Inez Ulrich wrote:

you are right. Yesterday was really bad but I pretty soon remembered this quote: "You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger." Anger is not healthy. I can tale care of this without a red face.

This is essentially the point I made earlier. At the time, I thought only 44 euros was at stake. So it turns out to be - what - 200?

Not at all trivial. But also not worth compromising your mental and physical health over. You crossed paths with a nasty and deranged character. Those things happen. Do what you can to alert others to what and who he is (others already have done so - part of your problem is that you did not heed their warnings).

As for legal action - really now! I think that the only way any attorney would consider touching this would be if you not only turned over your rights to the 200 you are owed, but paid an additional fee of at least another 200.

Do what you can reasonably do and - as I said before - move on.

[Edited at 2018-02-20 21:44 GMT]

Gareth Callagy

gayd (X)
gayd (X)
Strange Feb 20, 2018

Inez Ulrich wrote:

France

I thought he was a Swede from Malmo

[Modifié le 2018-02-20 21:45 GMT]

[Modifié le 2018-02-20 21:46 GMT]

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:18
Japanese to English
+ ...
Abusive exchange with translation company Feb 21, 2018

I would love to see this guy brought up on charges. Not only does he vilify your nationality, he vilifies you as a woman. His behavior is definitely actionable and perhaps a local law firm would take this on pro bono. He should pay for his abuse.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:18
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The same happened before... Feb 21, 2018

Inez Ulrich wrote:

... a very positive feedback from a translator on TC's Hall of Fame and Shame. It is a new user there I guess this man is getting desparate now and tries to build a new reputation.

The same happened with my negative feedback on TC, it was followed next day by one or two positive entries…

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Feb 21, 2018

maybe he is paying them with the money he owes us?

Anyway, I'll wait for my email provider to answer my questions and depending on this I will take further steps.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Perhaps ... Feb 21, 2018

... you should reach out to him, Inez. Tell him you understand he needs your money for mail-order lingerie catalogues to address his inferiority complex and self-hating by giving his imagination full rein amid all those pictures of panties and DD-cups, fantasising about being a real man who has control over his life and takes no nonsense from uppity female translators.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Check out too ... Feb 21, 2018

... (i.e. via his website) whether he is a member of a translators association. You should contact them and ask, if he acts according to their rules.

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
Sorry you were subjected to such unsavoury treatment Feb 21, 2018

If your abusive client can afford holidays, he can well afford to pay his translator.

I've been pestered by clients who wanted to impose unacceptable conditions, to the extent that I have had to blacklist them. And I've had slave-labour conditions imposed in bad faith. Oppressive, but nothing of the kind you describe.

Pointed remarks about nationality are racist. If it's any consolation, I pay tribute to my German colleagues, who are good team players, cheerful, witty a
... See more
If your abusive client can afford holidays, he can well afford to pay his translator.

I've been pestered by clients who wanted to impose unacceptable conditions, to the extent that I have had to blacklist them. And I've had slave-labour conditions imposed in bad faith. Oppressive, but nothing of the kind you describe.

Pointed remarks about nationality are racist. If it's any consolation, I pay tribute to my German colleagues, who are good team players, cheerful, witty and congenial.

Look at the Blue Board before taking a new client onto your panel. From which omit this one.

I definitely think you ought to submit a support request to ProZ.com in addition to any legal or other action you take outside the site. The client who was that abusive ought to be severely dealt with. We can't have the site authorities let a deranged and anti-social character override the common right of translators to be treated courteously and equitably. This was plain and simple wrong-doing. The client's abusive behaviour should earn him a ban from advertising work, if not outright banishment from the site.

Best of luck in future.

With kind regards,

Adam Warren
(IanDhu - Translator 41189)

[Edited at 2018-02-21 17:24 GMT]
Collapse

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks - I was so egositic.... Feb 21, 2018

that I didn't think of this! I will send an apology to him, of course

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

... you should reach out to him, Inez. Tell him you understand he needs your money for mail-order lingerie catalogues to address his inferiority complex and self-hating by giving his imagination full rein amid all those pictures of panties and DD-cups, fantasising about being a real man who has control over his life and takes no nonsense from uppity female translators.

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no Feb 21, 2018

can't find any memberships on his website or signature, as far as I can see.

Matthias Brombach wrote:

... (i.e. via his website) whether he is a member of a translators association. You should contact them and ask, if he acts according to their rules.

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Adam, Feb 21, 2018

I would have been really, really offended if he insulted me as Bavarian!

I still don't knwo why I didn't check the Blue Board and HFS on TC, it is the first thing I do before I even send an offer for a job. Lesson learned for sure. So far I was really lucky, only minor losses. All in all I have a lot of awsome regular customers, which is really great and I'm thankful for them.

IanDhu wrote:

Pointed remarks about nationality are racist. If it's any consolation, I pay tribute to my German colleagues, who are good team players, cheerful, witty and congenial.

Look at the Blue Board before taking a new client onto your panel. From which omit this one.

Best of luck in future.

With kind regards,

Adam Warren
(IanDhu - Translator 41189)

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Having read your original post before it was deleted Feb 21, 2018

the least one can say is that this guy seems to really care very very much about his BB entries (and surely he has very serious psychological problems, too), as there is no other explanation for treating someone in such a disgusting and abusive manner.
Fortunately, he has already been banned, otherwise he should have been at the very latest after these outrageous and insulting mails, with his abysmal BB ratings.
I really hope you manage somehow to get your money!

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
Tampering with e-mails Feb 21, 2018

Thank you, Inez, for taking the trouble to answer me.

The missing e-mails are a worry. I think you ought to "chivvy" (chase, remind forcefully and repeatedly) the Internet service provider, and maybe get some advice from dedicated websites like Tech Support Guy: techguy.org/ to test the hypotheses mooted here by colleagues of wilful interference.

Again, viel Glück (sorry if the sy
... See more
Thank you, Inez, for taking the trouble to answer me.

The missing e-mails are a worry. I think you ought to "chivvy" (chase, remind forcefully and repeatedly) the Internet service provider, and maybe get some advice from dedicated websites like Tech Support Guy: techguy.org/ to test the hypotheses mooted here by colleagues of wilful interference.

Again, viel Glück (sorry if the syntax is wobbly).

Adam Warren aforesaid.
Collapse

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 23:18
German to Turkish
+ ...
e-mail service provider? Feb 22, 2018

Inez Ulrich wrote:

Anyway, I'll wait for my email provider to answer my questions and depending on this I will take further steps.

Hi Inez,

Could you maybe share the name of your e-mail service provider?

2 days passed since you asked them about the case and if they didn't provide you an answer yet, I would consider this as quite a long time in this age.

Thank you

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Abusive exchange with a translation company

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »