Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Money transfer from Senegal - am I dealing with scam?
Thread poster: Helena Guimarães
Helena Guimarães
Helena Guimarães  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:22
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I guess it's the same person Aug 30, 2017

Dear Anderson,

that's exactly the expressions she used with me; I remember "between wars". I'm sure it's the same person. I tried to track the IP Address, at first it was untraceable, but one of the mails I received, I believe was coming from Brasil.

The best thing to do is realy to ignore (and report, of course, so that we all can be warned).

Thanks for your comment!

Hele
... See more
Dear Anderson,

that's exactly the expressions she used with me; I remember "between wars". I'm sure it's the same person. I tried to track the IP Address, at first it was untraceable, but one of the mails I received, I believe was coming from Brasil.

The best thing to do is realy to ignore (and report, of course, so that we all can be warned).

Thanks for your comment!

Helena
Collapse

Deniz Delidolu
Lamis Awar
Geert Rombaut
LUCIANA LATARINI GINEZI
Shoshi Herscu
szgnostk1gma

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
WARN us??? Oh please ... Aug 31, 2017

Of course it's a scam. It's a scam, it's a scam, it's a scam, it's a scam, it's a scam, it's a scam, it's a scam, it's a scam. It's not even an artful scam, or a scam that doesn't look like a scam, which is the kind of scam that warrants a warning.

Why do you even entertain any doubts about someone offering to pay you, with payment up front to them first?

Seriously? Seriously.

Deniz Delidolu
IrinaN
writeaway
Geert Rombaut
LUCIANA LATARINI GINEZI

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Being aware Aug 31, 2017

Sheila Wilson wrote:
Even if it isn't an out-and-out scam; even if it's someone who needs a translation - that isn't the way to go about it. We NEVER put ourselves out of pocket. We shoulder enough risk delivering work that hasn't been paid for yet. And you shouldn't be paying the client's share of money transfers. We have to pay our own generally, but we can anticipate them and build them into our quoted rate. The client's costs are for the client to bear.

Absolutely!

A very big translation agency which requires potential freelancers to fill in zillions of online forms before even returning the reply on your test translations behaves in the same way. I went to through a ridiculously lengthy administration process that would be best described as a circus. At the last hurdle, I had to select how I would like to be paid. Three payment options were available :
- cheque: free of charge
- bank transfer: to be paid for
- PayPal: to be paid for

I stopped dead in my tracks at that point. The agency in question is not in France, and although it has at least one office in a European country, all the admin and exchanges came directly from the US. As you can see, with all but the cheque method of payment, the freelancer is expected to cover the client's costs of paying us. No.

Whatever method, there are conversion rates. Bank transfer, depending on your bank, can be expensive when outside the EU and PayPal has limits and fees too. Cheque is the worst option: costly and risky. Not a scam, just downright greediness on the part of the agency. They even had the cheek to suggest that I keep monies earned with them in their coffers until a pre-agreed amount is reached and then make one payment, making it a little more worthwhile to received the payment. So the other solution actually meant I could ask them to use money I had earned to keep their bank balance falsely inflated. Only a fool would accept. And this is from a HUGE agency. No, no and no again!!!

Legal, perhaps. Ethical, certainly not.

[Edited at 2017-08-31 08:54 GMT]

Deniz Delidolu
Geert Rombaut
LUCIANA LATARINI GINEZI

Deniz Delidolu
Deniz Delidolu
Türkiye
Local time: 20:22
English to Turkish
+ ...
This Scenario is coming from Burkina Faso Aug 6, 2018

These are the only hopeful traders I came to a certain stage in this fraud case, but a little differently than Helene's.

First they are sending an information message about the business.

When you accept, they will send you a kind of the contract of translation documents,

and after you have scanned and sent the papers that you wrote on your name and address,

Then, they commun
... See more
These are the only hopeful traders I came to a certain stage in this fraud case, but a little differently than Helene's.

First they are sending an information message about the business.

When you accept, they will send you a kind of the contract of translation documents,

and after you have scanned and sent the papers that you wrote on your name and address,

Then, they communicate with you immediately and request to you be quick for the bank you contacted (I wrote this weekend and no bank official works on weekends).

I think just before that, he has prepared an e-mail content that he has arranged separately for me to write to thier bank.

He wanted to send this content to the bank's mail from my own mail. I'm at the point where I have rejected this wish. And I wrote that answer to him.

THEN I WROTE THAT IS BELOW;

According to my principle is that I do not share my information with third parties. Send me money directly from your own account. Then, I can do something for you..

Now I'm waiting for the answer but totally, I believed that is fake. IT'S A DAMN SCAM!!

After I have the last mail from them, I'll share the all mail details for others. Don't allow them to exploit your hopes
Collapse

Martin Godfrey
Geert Rombaut
LUCIANA LATARINI GINEZI

KORNELIA ZWIÓR-HOŁENKO
KORNELIA ZWIÓR-HOŁENKO  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
same story here Apr 2, 2019

Although some details are different, it is the same story: same scenario, the meaning of the letter in French is exactly equivalent to the one I got in English, the real writer's name is Bernadette Sanou Dao (former Minister of Education), residing in Mali.

They have even sent me the text which they need translated in 3 months, for which the budget is Eur 15k.
Copies of the message I got were also sent to other certified translators in Poland, whose names start with Z (so I
... See more
Although some details are different, it is the same story: same scenario, the meaning of the letter in French is exactly equivalent to the one I got in English, the real writer's name is Bernadette Sanou Dao (former Minister of Education), residing in Mali.

They have even sent me the text which they need translated in 3 months, for which the budget is Eur 15k.
Copies of the message I got were also sent to other certified translators in Poland, whose names start with Z (so I have their e-mail addresses now).

Do you think they read these posts, too?

Kornelia
Collapse

Geert Rombaut
LUCIANA LATARINI GINEZI

Martin Godfrey
Martin Godfrey
Croatia
A Very Sophisticated Scam Jul 21, 2021

I have recently had the same scam using the name of a highly respected author and former first-lady in Mali and also a reputable bank in Burkina Faso. It followed the same pattern and included some very authentic-looking documentation from the bank. The crunch came when the person concerned asked for a substantial amount which had to be paid before the 50% deposit could be paid to me, quoting some "new African banking regulations". On the plus side the book which was to be translated made a good... See more
I have recently had the same scam using the name of a highly respected author and former first-lady in Mali and also a reputable bank in Burkina Faso. It followed the same pattern and included some very authentic-looking documentation from the bank. The crunch came when the person concerned asked for a substantial amount which had to be paid before the 50% deposit could be paid to me, quoting some "new African banking regulations". On the plus side the book which was to be translated made a good read!Collapse

Tapani Sammalvuo
Geert Rombaut
LUCIANA LATARINI GINEZI

Katrin Kask
Katrin Kask
Estonia
English to Estonian
+ ...
Same here Sep 30, 2021

Martin Godfrey wrote:

I have recently had the same scam using the name of a highly respected author and former first-lady in Mali and also a reputable bank in Burkina Faso. It followed the same pattern and included some very authentic-looking documentation from the bank. The crunch came when the person concerned asked for a substantial amount which had to be paid before the 50% deposit could be paid to me, quoting some "new African banking regulations". On the plus side the book which was to be translated made a good read!

I am certain we share the experience. My e-mails were supposedly sent by Adame Ba Konare ([email protected]).

The last e-mail I received read as follows:

"I was a bit concerned with my son who is very ill at this time. I have indeed received the signed contract.
I decided to go to the bank to get the necessary information we need for the transfer regarding the deposit of 50%.
The bank has made it clear to me that there was no worries for an international transfer. It notified me that generally the transfer takes 5 to 7 business days before crediting your account with the indicated amount.
Taking into account that a transfer is carried out in a secure manner, since there is a possibility of having recourse to our banks in the event of a dispute, given that they are intermediates in our transaction. The financial manager and accountant told me that for the confirmation and the monitoring of the transfer it is important that a correspondence should be sent to you by email to notify you of the transfer progress, given that you are the primary beneficiary.
And in order to prevent disorder or errors before the transfer, you must send a quick email to the Instructional Center relating to wire transfer of the de la Banque Internationale pour le Burkina Faso Attijariwafa Bank , so that it can show you the steps to follow in the case of an international bank transfer to your account.
Here is the email of the Instructional Center regarding a wire transfer of the Banque Internationale Attijariwafa Bank :

[email protected]
Send an email immediately to this address:
[email protected]
Upon receipt of my message so that it gives you the procedure to follow in order not to make mistakes before the transfer.

Below an example of a message you can send to my bank

To whom it may concerned

Dear Messr,

I'm writing you because of an international wire transfer which should be made from your bank (Banque Internationale pour le Burkina Faso ) to my bank account with regard to the contract between me and your client, Ms.Adame Ba Konare concerning the translation of a book.

I was told that for the money transfer to proceed I should write an email to this address and you will send me further instructions.

Please send me the instructionz so that the transfer of the deposit of 50% contract price may be proceeded.

Thank you very much in advance

Best regards,"

These "instructionz" are really eye-opening.

[Edited at 2021-09-30 13:39 GMT]

Tapani Sammalvuo
Geert Rombaut
LUCIANA LATARINI GINEZI

Tapani Sammalvuo
Tapani Sammalvuo
Finland
Local time: 19:22
Spanish to Finnish
Adame Ba Konare imposter scam Jun 13, 2022

Yes, beware of this scam! I was also contacted by a person telling that she was Adame Ba Konare and wanted to have her book translated into Finnish. The price was good and she was going to make a deposit of 50% of the money to my account. However, just before she was supposed to send the money, she told me that both parties need to pay a 690€ "security deposit" to the bank before the payment can be processed. I informed the real Attijariwafa Bank about this scam and would have sent email to th... See more
Yes, beware of this scam! I was also contacted by a person telling that she was Adame Ba Konare and wanted to have her book translated into Finnish. The price was good and she was going to make a deposit of 50% of the money to my account. However, just before she was supposed to send the money, she told me that both parties need to pay a 690€ "security deposit" to the bank before the payment can be processed. I informed the real Attijariwafa Bank about this scam and would have sent email to the real Mrs. Ba Konare, but I couldn't find her email address.Collapse

Geert Rombaut
LUCIANA LATARINI GINEZI

Geert Rombaut
Geert Rombaut  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2021)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Duck alert Jun 13, 2022

If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. And if it isn't, I am sure it will figure out how to show it is legit. I would not spend time nor energy on this one.

Moses Muhiu
LUCIANA LATARINI GINEZI

Karen Rosenberg
Karen Rosenberg
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Adame Ba scam Jul 12, 2022

I have received the same request, for translation into Spanish. Almost sent the signed contract but decided to investigate a bit further. The wording of the email was not of the level you would expect of a person such as Adame Ba.
"Hello

I am Adame Ba , I reside in Africa (Mali) . I am looking for a translator to translate from English to Spanish a book of 80 pages. I ame now at your disposal for future conversation to send you a copy. NB: I have a budget of € 14000 for t
... See more
I have received the same request, for translation into Spanish. Almost sent the signed contract but decided to investigate a bit further. The wording of the email was not of the level you would expect of a person such as Adame Ba.
"Hello

I am Adame Ba , I reside in Africa (Mali) . I am looking for a translator to translate from English to Spanish a book of 80 pages. I ame now at your disposal for future conversation to send you a copy. NB: I have a budget of € 14000 for translation, revision. Delivery date Translation: 4 months.

Adame."
I even found the entire text in English on internet, author is Ada Alieva.
Collapse

LUCIANA LATARINI GINEZI

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
Same scam over and over again Jul 12, 2022

Helena Guimarães wrote:

Can somebody give me an information? I was contacted by this person in Senegal, she has sent me a project to translate, which she will pay 50% in advance, and the othet half of the payement after final delivery. Now she says that, since Africa (and also Senegal) is between wars, the bank has to approve the wire transfer, but before they send the money, I will have to pay the transaction fees. It sounds like "scam talk". Any idea about this at all?

Thanks in advance.

Helena

I confirm, definitely scam. Trash it.

LUCIANA LATARINI GINEZI

Giovanna Tomaro
Giovanna Tomaro  Identity Verified
France
English to Italian
+ ...
same here - be aware!!! Oct 13, 2022

I received exactly the same kind of email including the document to translate but I was very suspicious when they said that the budget for translation was 140,000 Euro. It was so evident that it was a scam. No one has such a budget for the translation of a book intended to be distributed in schools.

LUCIANA LATARINI GINEZI

Carol Maldonado
Carol Maldonado
Peru
Local time: 12:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Scam from Africa Oct 17, 2022

Seems I've got the same scammer email. I won't even answer.

Hello

I am Adame Ba Konare ; I currently reside in Africa (Mali) . I am looking for a person to translate French to Spanish a book of 103 pages. I am now at your disposal for future conversations in order to send you a copy. NB: I have a budget of €14000 euros for translation. Delivery date Translation
... See more
Seems I've got the same scammer email. I won't even answer.

Hello

I am Adame Ba Konare ; I currently reside in Africa (Mali) . I am looking for a person to translate French to Spanish a book of 103 pages. I am now at your disposal for future conversations in order to send you a copy. NB: I have a budget of €14000 euros for translation. Delivery date Translation: 4 months.

Konare.
[email protected]
Collapse

LUCIANA LATARINI GINEZI

LUCIANA LATARINI GINEZI
LUCIANA LATARINI GINEZI  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:22
Member (2023)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The scam continues... Mar 27, 2023

And the scam continues!
It has changed to [email protected].
They are offering 12,000 euros for only 78 pages!

Shoshi Herscu
Shoshi Herscu
Israel
Local time: 19:22
English to Hebrew
+ ...
I've just ended my "contract" with this scammer Jul 14, 2023

Dear Anderson,

Same here. She demanded that I send these scammers 1000 Euro so that I receive my advance for an English to Hebrew translation.

Stay clear from such scammers.

Shoshi

Helena Guimarães wrote:

Dear Anderson,

Thanks for your comment!

Helena

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Money transfer from Senegal - am I dealing with scam?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »