What is the most effective way of doing the QA in Memsource of 460,000 words?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 14:44
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jan 31, 2018

I tick the segments off in my local Memsource Desktop Editor, and then complete the remaining segments (a few are always left) in Memsource Web Editor, and then change status in the Web Editor to Completed by Linguist.

When I do this in my local Memsource Desktop Editor, the background is white for some segments whereas it is light blue for some segments. What does this mean? Could I, for example, somehow batch approve all segments with light blue background? However, I haven't foun
... See more
I tick the segments off in my local Memsource Desktop Editor, and then complete the remaining segments (a few are always left) in Memsource Web Editor, and then change status in the Web Editor to Completed by Linguist.

When I do this in my local Memsource Desktop Editor, the background is white for some segments whereas it is light blue for some segments. What does this mean? Could I, for example, somehow batch approve all segments with light blue background? However, I haven't found any such option yet.

Because now it takes about 30 minutes for each file (total 73 files) only to tick off each segment after having run a QA. I know I can drag the cursor and select several segments at once, and that speeds up the procedure a little, but not enough. Because I can only do this when there are many neighbouring segments that I know without having to select each segment that they can be approved/ticked off.

So if I only could choose somewhere to tick off all segments with blue background (because they seem to have been ticked off before, so I think the blue colour means these segments have been ticket off before).

If I don't find any other solution to doing this QA procedure more effective, it will take me around 4-5 days full-time!
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:44
Danish to English
+ ...
I would use another CAT tool Jan 31, 2018

Memsource's QA is terribly slow and inefficient and poorly designed. It's not really designed for a task that size.

I'm not aware of any solution to this in Memsource.

Perhaps you could open the MXLIFF files in another CAT tool such as MemoQ or Studio and run their QA instead. Both of these tools are compatible with Memsource's MXLIFF format. I sometimes work on an MXLIFF file from Memsource in MemoQ, then use Memsource in the end to synchronise it with the server.

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have to stick to Memsource for the QA Jan 31, 2018

Unfortunately I have to use Memsource because the project manager is strict with that the QA settings should be exactly those options that are available in Memsource. I could ask her, but I don't think she will allow it. Probably there is not exact correspondence between the QA options in Memsource and those in Studio.

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hide ignored and CTRL + mouse click Jan 31, 2018

The best procedure seems to be to hide ignored and then CTRL + mouse click to select all segments I want to ignore in one batch (the ones I know can be ignored, the ones I can see at once that they can be ignored). The remaining segments I have to do one by one and check them.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Sorting Jan 31, 2018

You can sort by type of QA alert, then select all of certain types to be ignored.

I sometimes keep clicking on "Show more", so I get more alerts to sort in one go.

Knowing how tedious and slow Memsource's QA is, I would not have accepted to do such a large job in Memsource in the first place, but that's too late for you, except if your client agrees to use another tool. There are probably differences between the different tools' QA, but I'm not aware of anything that sh
... See more
You can sort by type of QA alert, then select all of certain types to be ignored.

I sometimes keep clicking on "Show more", so I get more alerts to sort in one go.

Knowing how tedious and slow Memsource's QA is, I would not have accepted to do such a large job in Memsource in the first place, but that's too late for you, except if your client agrees to use another tool. There are probably differences between the different tools' QA, but I'm not aware of anything that should make Memsource's QA quality so much better than other tools'.
Collapse

Evgeny Demin

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorting worked best, but now another big problem ... confirmation of each issue gets reverted! Feb 1, 2018

The procedure I need to follow is that I confirm each issue in Memsource Desktop by sorting according to type, and then I can select several segments at once to confirm. When I'm done with this for a file in Memsource Desktop I save the file and go to Memsource Web Editor, where I have to do the same QA procedure again to catch some segments that, for some reason, didn't get confirmed in Memsource Desktop. This was not so time consuming because it was normally only a few segments. After this I t... See more
The procedure I need to follow is that I confirm each issue in Memsource Desktop by sorting according to type, and then I can select several segments at once to confirm. When I'm done with this for a file in Memsource Desktop I save the file and go to Memsource Web Editor, where I have to do the same QA procedure again to catch some segments that, for some reason, didn't get confirmed in Memsource Desktop. This was not so time consuming because it was normally only a few segments. After this I then could change status to Completed by Linguist.

But now, for several files, suddenly I get the same long list of unconfirmed issues also in Memsource Web Editor even after I have completed the procedure in Memsource Desktop!

What can have caused this, and what is happening?
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Ask support Feb 1, 2018

I'd ask Memsource support about that. It seems odd you have to do the QA twice. It should be enough to do it either in the desktop editor or the online editor.

Support (at) memsource.com

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

What is the most effective way of doing the QA in Memsource of 460,000 words?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »