How comfortable (or not) are extra large curved ultrawidescreen monitors with MemoQ?
Thread poster: Adieu
Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Apr 1, 2021

Being tempted by something like a 34" 21:9 ratio 3440 x 1440 res from Samsung or LG.

Please advise on how well that works. Any issues running MemoQ side by side with reference materials/research on a single screen instead of tossing different windows on different monitors? Bugs, glitches, etc.? Does it run fine in oddball resolutions?

Any specific things to look for or avoid? Is curved better or worse? Thx

MemoQ v. 9.6 if that matters

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:53
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just my two cents Apr 1, 2021

We in the office use memoQ as our main tool and spend all day translating with it. We have tried to work with widescreen monitors several times in the past, but find it more comfortable to work with a more traditional aspect ratio.

This is just a personal opinion, but also the view of my colleagues here in my translation office: it feels more comfortable that, when you work with the grid, you have shorter lines / more lines instead of longer lines / fewer lines for each segment. The
... See more
We in the office use memoQ as our main tool and spend all day translating with it. We have tried to work with widescreen monitors several times in the past, but find it more comfortable to work with a more traditional aspect ratio.

This is just a personal opinion, but also the view of my colleagues here in my translation office: it feels more comfortable that, when you work with the grid, you have shorter lines / more lines instead of longer lines / fewer lines for each segment. The shorter lines (and the subsequent "taller" presentation of each segment) helps in checking the segments side by side, at least in European languages (I have no experience at all with non-Latin scripts).

Also, if you use a lot of termbases and your TMs are ample and/or have several TMs you use in jobs, a taller screen shows you more translation results in the Results pane and you have to scroll around less in this way than with a widescreen monitor. Another thing we experienced is that widescreen monitors make it less confortable to work with reference documents that come in portrait formats, so you scroll around a lot more than with a more square monitor.

All in all, I (and 3 other people here in the office) prefer a bigger, more square monitor than a wider monitor. This is of course just our personal experience and not the result of a scientific study on the matter, so there could be other views here.

(As for memoQ itself, it lends itself well to any monitor format with no major issues).

[Edited at 2021-04-01 17:36 GMT]
Collapse

Elif Baykara Narbay

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not quite what I meant Apr 1, 2021

I didn't intend to fullscreen the memoQ window.

I was thinking of running it side by side with browser/reference pdfs/word docs open in the other half of the screen.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Then maybe two monitors is best Apr 1, 2021

Adieu wrote:
I didn't intend to fullscreen the memoQ window.
I was thinking of running it side by side with browser/reference pdfs/word docs open in the other half of the screen.

Makes sense. Personally I would favour two "square" monitors instead, but, again, just my personal experience! There will surely be other approaches.

Elif Baykara Narbay

Mikhail Popov
Mikhail Popov
Montenegro
English to Russian
+ ...
Experience with 27 inch Apr 1, 2021

Hi, I'm using 27 inch monitor and 70% of the screen is occupied by memoQ and 30% - browser with online engineering glossary. Sometimes I use browser to check some terms/abbreviations, but 30% of the width is not really comfortable for it. And for real web search I'm using another browser window with 100% width.
So my guess that 34 inch will be just perfect for this.

finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 10:53
English to Finnish
+ ...
27" Apr 4, 2021

I too use 27". I was afraid that with a bigger screen I might be wearing out my cervical vertebrae by inadvertently turning my head, back and forth, all day long.

Kieran Sheehan
Kieran Sheehan  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
German to English
I would go with 2 (or even 3) 24" monitors on a single bracket arm Apr 7, 2021

I am currently workding on two 27" monitors but think that I might be better with two 24" monitors. I really don't see much advantage in the larger screens. 19" on the other hand would be too small. However, two or three 24" monitors, would I think be perfect (and save money).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How comfortable (or not) are extra large curved ultrawidescreen monitors with MemoQ?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »