Thread poster: abdelazizma
abdelazizma
abdelazizma
Kenya
English to Somali
+ ...
Apr 20, 2019

Hello Translators,

For those using MemoQ, I would like to find out your experience with MemoQ's customer service. I have lost my MemoQ licence and asked the team to support, but no respnse. Instead they bombard with emails suggesting I buy a new license. Is that the norm and I have to buy a new one?

I appreciate your thoughts and thank you in advance.

Andy Lemminger
Andy Lemminger  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:42
Member (2002)
English to German
Subscription Apr 20, 2019

Memoq licenses are like a subscription. You pay a certain fee for a time frame and are allowed to use the software during that time while also getting free support and access to courses plus updates. When this time is over you have to renew.

abdelazizma
abdelazizma
Kenya
English to Somali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Andy Apr 20, 2019

Thank you Andy for your clarification. What I am getting is a communication that I should buy a new license rather than a subscription. Does it mean licenses expire and you have to buy to buy the whole program again (

ahartje
ahartje
Portugal
Local time: 19:42
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Losing quality Apr 20, 2019

A few years ago memoQ has been an excellent tool with superb support, but everything changed some time ago and turned into a not evoluating program with non-existing support and trainings sessions merely commercial.

It´s a pity!

Anyway, they should be able to find and resend your license to you. Even without renewing your yearly subscription you can continue to use your program, but the support ends. Since it is worthless... who cares?

Andy Lemminger
Andy Lemminger  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:42
Member (2002)
English to German
Depends on what's cheaper Apr 22, 2019

I still like memoQ a lot, it's my software of choice and they've introduced quite a lot of new things lately. I guess in your situation it just depends on what's more cost efficient. If your subscription expired years ago and you have to pay for several years, this could be more expensive than buying a new license. If it's still cheaper, you should pay the subscription fees and you'll be back in the game.
And to fully answer your question: I don't think that licenses expire but the support
... See more
I still like memoQ a lot, it's my software of choice and they've introduced quite a lot of new things lately. I guess in your situation it just depends on what's more cost efficient. If your subscription expired years ago and you have to pay for several years, this could be more expensive than buying a new license. If it's still cheaper, you should pay the subscription fees and you'll be back in the game.
And to fully answer your question: I don't think that licenses expire but the support does immediately and you also won't get any more updates when you don't have a subscription anymore.

[Bearbeitet am 2019-04-22 17:01 GMT]
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Losing Apr 22, 2019

It's a lose-lose when excessive anti-piracy policy, poor support, and wry updates make more and more even legal users either consider other options, or use pirated software.

Lucia Messuti
Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:42
English to Italian
+ ...
Bad experience me too Apr 29, 2019

I've MemoQ 2014 R2, I know it's not the newest version but it's ok for me.

Now, I'm having issues as it doesn't populate the TM hits and fragment assembly (I posted it in this forum) and as I didn't find any solution, I tried to contact the support.

They replied that MemoQ 2014 R2 is nomore supported by MemoQ. Pls purchase a newer version of MemoQ, which also means not to upgrade but purchasing it from scratch.

I insisted as TM hits and fragment assembly
... See more
I've MemoQ 2014 R2, I know it's not the newest version but it's ok for me.

Now, I'm having issues as it doesn't populate the TM hits and fragment assembly (I posted it in this forum) and as I didn't find any solution, I tried to contact the support.

They replied that MemoQ 2014 R2 is nomore supported by MemoQ. Pls purchase a newer version of MemoQ, which also means not to upgrade but purchasing it from scratch.

I insisted as TM hits and fragment assembly hits should be implemented in the target, as all CATs.

No reply, except they wanted me to reply to a questionnaire about customer satisfaction.

If this is the status, I won't buy the new version....
Collapse

abdelazizma

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ Customer Service

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »