Thread poster: Nico Wagner
Nico Wagner
Nico Wagner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:38
English to German
Nov 13, 2017

Hi all,

I noticed a weird and annoying behaviour in a server project that I am working on in memoQ 8.2.

I have a bunch of 100% matches that are not being auto-propagated although I did activate the corresponding setting. Instead, for each of these segments I have to wait 2-3 seconds for the TM lookup on the server until the segment gets filled.

Is there another hidden setting, or am I missing something?

Thank you in advance!

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:38
English to Italian
100% matches or repetitions? Nov 13, 2017

Not sure this is the issue here, but 100% matches and repetitions are different things.

Repetitions are internal to a document and get autopropagated when you confirm a segment and there are subsequent identical segments, 100% (and optionally lesser) matches are "external" to the document and are filled in if you pretranslate it using a preexisting TM.

Nico Wagner
Portugal
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
... Nov 13, 2017

I am talking about internal repetitions (also shown as 100% in the corresponding column) that are not getting auto-propagated.

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
Tags Nov 16, 2017

Any change it has something to do with tags (different tags or their presence/absence in the repeated TUs)?

[Edited at 2017-11-16 15:04 GMT]

Nico Wagner
Portugal
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
... Nov 16, 2017

Actually you are semi-right. This only happens in segments that contain tags, although the tags are the same.

Segments without tags are being auto-propagated the way they should...

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
Raise a ticket with Kilgray Nov 16, 2017

Nico Wagner wrote:

Actually you are semi-right. This only happens in segments that contain tags, although the tags are the same.

Segments without tags are being auto-propagated the way they should...

Then it might be worth raising a ticket with Kilgray about that, as, according to their own KB:

Repetitions are exact matches within a document: A repetition is an exact match of the original segment. If a segment is just slightly different (for example, it has an extra tag), it will not count as a repetition, as far as auto-propagation is concerned. The reason for this is that auto-propagation must not leave any editing work in the segments it modifies – when a segment is confirmed and auto-propagated, many segments can change that the translator cannot see, and she may never learn that she needs to fix more segments.

http://kilgray.com/memoq/2015-100/help-en/index.html?auto-propagation.html

Since I use MQ extensively I've probably encountered this too, but if I did, I never really took notice of it..

Willem Wunderink
Willem Wunderink
Netherlands
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
+ ...
MemoQ doesn't handle tags properly Jan 27, 2021

It's one of the very few flaws in the otherwise fantastic tool MemoQ and I have an eternal discussion with Kilgray Support on it.
I say MemoQ should simply reproduce tags and focus on the text itself when validating identical text, Support says they can't/won't change that because tags can have different content.
I don't follow that logic, as tags are simply tags, untouched by translators, so the content should not worry us.
So MemoQ should simply make sure the same tags appear
... See more
It's one of the very few flaws in the otherwise fantastic tool MemoQ and I have an eternal discussion with Kilgray Support on it.
I say MemoQ should simply reproduce tags and focus on the text itself when validating identical text, Support says they can't/won't change that because tags can have different content.
I don't follow that logic, as tags are simply tags, untouched by translators, so the content should not worry us.
So MemoQ should simply make sure the same tags appear in the target, that's all. And not worry about the content of them: it has no validity in the translation, why should it have that for MemoQ then?

It's a shame as it reduces the efficiency: MemoQ does not recognise textually identical segments because of the presence of tags.....

[Bijgewerkt op 2021-01-27 10:16 GMT]
Collapse

Johan Kjallman
Yaotl Altan
Marcelo da Luz

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Auto propagation not working

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »