How easy is it to create and maintain a multi-lingual website using Wix?
Thread poster: Vivien Green
Vivien Green
Vivien Green  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Jun 6, 2017

Until now I've been relying on my proz profile in English only, but this year I'd like to get my own website up and running. I've done some general research and Wix looks like a good option but what I've read hasn't been specific to the translation industry. Does anyone have a Wix site in multiple languages and if so, was it easy to create and maintain? Alternatively, does anyone use a different platform that they would recommend?

I intend to get it up and running in English first,
... See more
Until now I've been relying on my proz profile in English only, but this year I'd like to get my own website up and running. I've done some general research and Wix looks like a good option but what I've read hasn't been specific to the translation industry. Does anyone have a Wix site in multiple languages and if so, was it easy to create and maintain? Alternatively, does anyone use a different platform that they would recommend?

I intend to get it up and running in English first, then add a French version and possibly also a Spanish version further down the line.
Collapse

Volodymyr Pedchenko
Volodymyr Pedchenko
Local time: 11:11
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Wordpress? Jun 6, 2017

If you would rather go to creating your own web-site, I would suggest using Wordpress together with multilingual plugins.

This would also make you more tech-savvy as a translator and would be a plus to your clients.

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:11
Member (2013)
English to Russian
- Jun 6, 2017

My website is on Wix, and I thoroughly love the platform — it's really simple to use and flexible enough for my needs. I've not localized my website, so I'm not sure if Wix handles that well, but from what I've found on Wix Tutorials, it seems to be a pain in the neck. You can read more about th... See more
My website is on Wix, and I thoroughly love the platform — it's really simple to use and flexible enough for my needs. I've not localized my website, so I'm not sure if Wix handles that well, but from what I've found on Wix Tutorials, it seems to be a pain in the neck. You can read more about the process here: https://support.wix.com/en/article/tutorial-creating-a-multilingual-siteCollapse

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 06:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
Wix? - Wot? Jun 6, 2017

I can’t comment on Wix - I’ve never used it and know nothing about it.

What I would recommend, however, is that – regardless of what software/package/app you go for – you should try to avoid this:

Vivien Green wrote:
I intend to get it up and running in English first, then add a French version and possibly also a Spanish version further down the line.

It’s far better to make sure everything you design works satisfactorily, and looks OK, in at least two of your languages, every step along the design process. Preferably, those first two languages should be the one that has the shortest text strings and the one that has the longest ones. (With your languages, that probably means English and French.)

I have built and continue to administer several multilingual websites and they are all designed from the outset to be multilingual, even if initially the client only thinks he wants one language. It’s far easier (and cheaper, if you’re paying someone to do this for you…) to build a web on a multi-lingual foundation than it is to start with one that’s mono-lingual and then try to add extra languages as an after-thought.
RL

Vivien Green
Vivien Green  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
A belated thank you! Mar 16, 2019

I just wanted to say thank you all for your replies, even if it is almost two years late! I always try not to say thanks too early in case it discourages other people from replying but the longer you leave it the more likely you are to forget about the question completely which is what happened in this case!

Anyway, my website plans got delayed and I'm only now getting round to actually getting something up and running. I've got my logo and branding sorted out and I'm working with
... See more
I just wanted to say thank you all for your replies, even if it is almost two years late! I always try not to say thanks too early in case it discourages other people from replying but the longer you leave it the more likely you are to forget about the question completely which is what happened in this case!

Anyway, my website plans got delayed and I'm only now getting round to actually getting something up and running. I've got my logo and branding sorted out and I'm working with a company who is supposed to be making me a WordPress site but I'm having second thoughts having read a few things about WordPress (security updates seem to be something you "don't have to worry about" with Wix, compared to WordPress, according to one article I read). I've been playing around with Wix and really like it but am concerned about the issues with creating a bilingual/multilingual site. I'll probably stick with the company and WordPress.
Collapse

Rachael Clayton

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How easy is it to create and maintain a multi-lingual website using Wix?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »