Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:38
Russian to English
+ ...
DeepL is now out in Russian Dec 11, 2018

My preliminary impression is that it is not as good as German>English, which is sometimes excellent. (Of course, you always have to check.) Hopefully it will improve.
A test I did today renders "статичное образование" as "static education", whereas the context (personality psychology) demands "static entity" (Google Translate and Yandex) or "static formation."

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:38
English to Italian
Hopefully not Dec 12, 2018

Susan Welsh wrote:

My preliminary impression is that it is not as good as German>English, which is sometimes excellent. (Of course, you always have to check.) Hopefully it will improve.

But that's just me, of course, with my old-fashioned view of translation as an "handicraft" of sorts...

... and besides, I guess nowadays it's pretty difficult to halt a CPU by forcing a sabot in its cogs...

Jean Dimitriadis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How a German company (DeepL) managed to be better than Google

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »