Thread poster: Maurice Skinner
Maurice Skinner
Maurice Skinner  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 13:38
Japanese to English
Jun 18, 2019

Hello Everyone,

Thank you so much for taking the time out to read my post.
For the past several months, I have been working and studying legal translation (mainly NDAs and various types of transfer agreements) and have decided that I would like to further my knowledge within the Japanese to English legal translation field. I have been looking at a few courses, but I am also not sure if they are worth my money and time. Listed below are the (distance) courses I've been conside
... See more
Hello Everyone,

Thank you so much for taking the time out to read my post.
For the past several months, I have been working and studying legal translation (mainly NDAs and various types of transfer agreements) and have decided that I would like to further my knowledge within the Japanese to English legal translation field. I have been looking at a few courses, but I am also not sure if they are worth my money and time. Listed below are the (distance) courses I've been considering:

Sunflare Academy: http://www.sunflare.com/academy/?page_id=326
MRI: https://mri-trans.com/contents/hp0034/index.php?No=30&CNo=34
Babel University: http://www.babel-edu.jp/program/31038.html

I was wondering if any of you have had experiences with these courses? If so I would love some feedback.

Furthermore, my main mode of practice has been to find Japanese and English versions Agreements or NDAs on the internet, translate them on my own from Japanese to English, and then compare with the English text. I was hoping maybe I could find website which had both Japanese and English Agreements that I would be able to practice/study with.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated, and I do look forward to hearing from each of you soon.

Kind Regards!
Collapse

James Hodges
James Hodges  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:38
Japanese to English
Legal Translation Jun 18, 2019

You might also consider contacting some of the translation industry associations here in Japan. I know that some of them have regular meetings by translation specialization. You might be able to pop along to one of their meetings and get a better idea of who is good and who is not. A great way to throw your hat into the ring.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

JP-EN Translation Courses for beginners

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »