P.B:
P.B:
Italy
Local time: 00:21
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 24, 2017

Hi,

sorry about this, but I have some doubts.
I am based in Italy, are there countries we are not allowed to deal with, even us as translators?
I am getting translations requests from certain countries but I am not sure I can accept.
Thank you very much,

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Legally? Sep 24, 2017

Paoamsterdam wrote:

Hi,

I am based in Italy, are there countries we are not allowed to deal with, even us as translators?
I am getting translations requests from certain countries but I am not sure I can accept.
Thank you very much,

Not that I am aware about, but there are certain countries I would think twice before I start a collaboration.

Which countries are you talking about?

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Blacklist Sep 24, 2017

Paoamsterdam wrote:

Thank you very much,

AFAIK, there was a (black)list of countries regarded as tax havens, and if you had dealings with entities based there, you had to declare that to the Italian revenue agency under certain circumstances, but the list grew shorter by the year, and I just read the reporting obligation was abolished for 2017 and that there should soon be a common EU blacklist that will supersede national ones.
http://www.guidafisco.it/paesi-black-list-elenco-aggiornato-773 (in Italian)
http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-16-2997_en.htm (in English)

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:21
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Well... Sep 24, 2017

I’m not aware of any countries we are not allowed to deal with. Anyway those that could pose that risk are out of my league as I don’t master their languages. Some years ago I had a big problem paying an excellent PT-ES translator living in Cuba. Of course, I knew about the American embargo, but I thought, rather naively I must admit, that it would be easy to transfer legally money from Belgium, where I lived, to pay her. In the end, I did manage to pay her but it was quite hard and intricat... See more
I’m not aware of any countries we are not allowed to deal with. Anyway those that could pose that risk are out of my league as I don’t master their languages. Some years ago I had a big problem paying an excellent PT-ES translator living in Cuba. Of course, I knew about the American embargo, but I thought, rather naively I must admit, that it would be easy to transfer legally money from Belgium, where I lived, to pay her. In the end, I did manage to pay her but it was quite hard and intricate …

[Edited at 2017-09-24 17:14 GMT]
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Check official sources Sep 24, 2017

This is important and in order to avoid getting yurself into trouble, innocently, which is what you are seeking to do, check with official sources in your country. Were I asking myself this question, I would contact my tax office, or at least ask my tax office for official sources I could refer to... and make sure that they are up to date.

[Edited at 2017-09-24 10:55 GMT]

P.B:
P.B:
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 24, 2017

I really want to thank everyone for putting an effort in finding an answer to my question, yes rather than fiscal paradise I was thinking of embargoed countrie.
As suggested I will also go through the tax office sources to find an answer.
Have a nice day everyone!

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Will Sep 24, 2017

Well, nothing realted to taxes but only embargoe comes to my mind when thinking of 'to do-not to do' business with a specific country.
Never for translation service purpose but out of other concerns, now and then I check this list (2nd page here):
https://eeas.europa.eu/sites/eeas/files/restrictive_measures-2017-04-26-clean.pdf

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
French to English
Inga, Paoamsterdam, Mirko Sep 24, 2017

Inga, that looks like a helpful source of information and it also seems fairly up-to-date too. You are right that this is nothing to do with taxation. However, there was a chance that they might have been able to provide a source.

Paoamsterdam, if you decide to work with one of the countries on the "restricted" list, then you may attract attention that you do not wish to have, particularly if your intentions are perfectly honest. Also, it may be complicated recovering what is due, s
... See more
Inga, that looks like a helpful source of information and it also seems fairly up-to-date too. You are right that this is nothing to do with taxation. However, there was a chance that they might have been able to provide a source.

Paoamsterdam, if you decide to work with one of the countries on the "restricted" list, then you may attract attention that you do not wish to have, particularly if your intentions are perfectly honest. Also, it may be complicated recovering what is due, simply for adminstrative and banking restrictions that could apply - not to mention the usual risk of a client simply paying late, or not at all. It might simply be more trouble than it is worth. Your question is an interesting and helpful one.

Mirko, the general rule is that if there is a conflict between an EU regulation and the law of a member state, the EU regulation applies anyway, as they take precedence over national law.

[Edited at 2017-09-24 18:09 GMT]
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Personal experience Sep 25, 2017

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

Mirko, the general rule is that if there is a conflict between an EU regulation and the law of a member state, the EU regulation applies anyway, as they take precedence over national law.

Not sure what conflict you're referring to, as I didn't mention any, just my personal experience, based on what my accountant told me (up to a few months ago).

At any rate, about conflicts, applicable law, hierarchy of sources, etc.: http://europa.eu/european-union/eu-law/legal-acts_en

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Here is the full list of sanctioned EU countries Sep 25, 2017

The list is constantly updated. It applies to the EU as a whole, but individual Member States also have their own additional lists.

http://bit.ly/2fswWDf

Summary list:

AFGHANISTAN:
BIELORUSSIA:
BURNA/MYANMAR:
BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA:
NORTH KOREA:
DRC (DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO
IVORY COAST
CRIM
... See more
The list is constantly updated. It applies to the EU as a whole, but individual Member States also have their own additional lists.

http://bit.ly/2fswWDf

Summary list:

AFGHANISTAN:
BIELORUSSIA:
BURNA/MYANMAR:
BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA:
NORTH KOREA:
DRC (DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO
IVORY COAST
CRIMEA AND SEBASTOPOL
EGYPT
ERITREA:
GUINEA:
HAITI:
IRAN:
IRAQ:
LEBANON:
LIBERIA:
LIBYA:
MOLDOVA:
RUSSIA:
SYRIA:
SOMALIA:
SUDAN:
SOUTH SUDAN
TUNISIA:
UKRAINE:
ZIMBABWE:

For all of these countries, see the dedicated section of the EU document "Restrictive Measures In Force"

[Edited at 2017-09-25 08:00 GMT]
Collapse

P.B:
P.B:
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
restrictions Sep 25, 2017

Thanks Tom,
ok, It seems to me such restrictions apply to export of materials rather than to services...

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Some Sep 25, 2017

Is there some particular country you're worried about?

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
French to English
@Mirko Sep 25, 2017

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

Not sure what conflict you're referring to, as I didn't mention any, just my personal experience, based on what my accountant told me (up to a few months ago).

At any rate, about conflicts, applicable law, hierarchy of sources, etc.: http://europa.eu/european-union/eu-law/legal-acts_en

It was a passing reference to you mentioning the fact that there is to be an EU blacklist.

I was simply pointing out what "conflict of laws" is about. With regard to EU regulations, if an EU regulation states that everyone has to wear yellow shoes on Monday and that Italy and France already have a national law to that effect, then there is no conflict. However, if the UK has a law saying that everyone has to wear blue shoes on Monday, there is a conflict of laws and the EU regulation will prevail.

[Edited at 2017-09-25 09:44 GMT]

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
French to English
@Tom Sep 25, 2017

Inga had already provided a link for the "restricted" list. Twice does no harm though and I was particularly interested to find out that such a list even existed, although it seems quite logical now!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

countries Europe cannot work with?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »