Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Airbrushed out of the charts (ProZ.com team: Full leader list will be made accessible again)
Thread poster: Lancashireman
Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:15
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Not being able to track here is not a general glitch May 29, 2018

writeaway wrote:

I sent a couple of support requests because I haven't been able to track any forum for well over a year. Nothing was ever done to correct the problem. It started when I was still a payer.
But it's true that this forum posting has totally disappeared off the radar.

I tried with other forums as well and it worked as usual. Yes, this one is completely desaparecido.

[Bearbeitet am 2018-05-29 20:03 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
The 'all time' lists are still not complete... May 29, 2018

As Sven Petersson mentioned, contributors who have died disappear from the lists.
So do contributors who have close their accounts.
It is still possible to see their answers in the glossaries, but only 'live' accounts are credited on the lists.

I think this is a pity. It means that the 'all time' lists are not complete at all, and that when people close their accounts, they simply fade into oblivion. As long as their contributions are still there for everyone to use, I t
... See more
As Sven Petersson mentioned, contributors who have died disappear from the lists.
It is still possible to see their answers in the glossaries, but only 'live' accounts are credited on the lists.

I think this is a pity. It means that the 'all time' lists are not complete at all, and that when people close their accounts, they simply fade into oblivion. As long as their contributions are still there for everyone to use, I think they should also be shown in the All Time lists. Otherwise the lists are not "All Time" at all.

That is just my opinion...
Collapse

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 02:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
Curious... May 30, 2018

Christine Andersen wrote:

I think this is a pity. It means that the 'all time' lists are not complete at all, and that when people close their accounts, they simply fade into oblivion. As long as their contributions are still there for everyone to use, I think they should also be shown in the All Time lists. Otherwise the lists are not "All Time" at all.

That is just my opinion...

I had another look at the leader board today to see whether the damage had been “undone” – and was happy to find our sorely-missed friend Henry Hinds once again at the top of the “All time” list in Spanish to English and number 2 in English to Spanish.

He is also there at number 5 in the short-form list "Kudoz leaders (overall)" – which covers all language pairs (I think) on the site’s front page.

I’m wondering if the presence or otherwise of deceased colleagues depends on how Proz was informed of their death, whether or not they are in the In Memoriam page, or some other criterion.

Like most things we’ve see happening on Proz.com in recent weeks/months, it would be helpful if staff were to be more forthcoming with information as to what we are seeing here on our screens.

It's like cricket (or whatever other game you play) - if we don't know the rules we can't play well! So, what’s the (new) algorithm, please?

RL

Jennifer Levey
Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
Also ... May 30, 2018

If I click on Henry Hind’s name in the “Kudoz leaders (overall)” list on the front page, I’m taken to what was presumably his profile page ( https://www.proz.com/profile/2102 ) where I see a brief "In memoriam" message which states: “The many contributions made by this member throughout the site have been left public for the benefit of all.

Question to staff: If t
... See more
If I click on Henry Hind’s name in the “Kudoz leaders (overall)” list on the front page, I’m taken to what was presumably his profile page ( https://www.proz.com/profile/2102 ) where I see a brief "In memoriam" message which states: “The many contributions made by this member throughout the site have been left public for the benefit of all.

Question to staff: If this can be linked to from the short-form list, why isn’t is also linked from the main leader-board? All I see there (now the deceased have been restored to their rightful positions, along with other “non-payers”) is black text which links to ... precisely nothing.

Heck – even where it says “You” in the leader board, I cannot link from “You” (i.e., myself) to my own profile. Errr... ain’t I even got a right to see my own data through this board?

Messy at best. Disrespectful at worst.

RL
Collapse

Lancashireman
Lancashireman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:15
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Algorithm not working correctly Jun 5, 2018

There are now names of contributors in the German-English last-three-months and last-twelve-months charts of people who last answered a question some years ago - 2010 in one case and 2011 in another.

Christel Zipfel

TargamaT team
TargamaT team  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
I can not find my profile in find Jun 10, 2018

Michael Beijer wrote:

ProZ Find (alpha): https://www.proz.com/find

It is strange, I did a search in my pairs with find and I can not find my profile!

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Unknown people in the list Jun 15, 2018

Although I have been a member here and partecipated actively in KudoZ for nearly the last 15 years, there are names in the Find list that are completely unknown to me.

N.B.It's still impossible to track this thread!

Jennifer Levey
Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
Duff statistics Jun 15, 2018

Christel Zipfel wrote:

Although I have been a member here and partecipated actively in KudoZ for nearly the last 15 years, there are names in the Find list that are completely unknown to me.

I noticed something very similar – in the leader board.

For example, in the “last 3 months column” of the Spanish to English pair, there’s a non-member ranked (at this very moment – it will change with time) at number 27 who, according to his life-time Kudoz results has only ever won 20 points (pro + non-pro) – and has never been active on Kudoz in any way whatsoever since ... June 2010!

Christel Zipfel wrote:
N.B.It's still impossible to track this thread!

I also stopped receiving notifications. I checked in my profile and discovered that my primary e-mail address had been changed - a ‘xxx(space)’ prefix had been added. Of course, that duff address would never work, hence no notifications.

I removed the unwanted prefix – and everything returned to normal. I queried it in a support ticket and was told that the prefix can be applied automatically if too many e-mails bounce. However, I am aware of no reason why e-mails sent to my corrupted primary address should bounce other than very occasionally (mail server down, for example). It might be worth checking the address in your profile, Christel.

Finally, I note that your post, Christel, does not appear in the "Recent Post" list on my homepage - I only saw it because I had repaired my e-mail address and got the notification.

There are several major failings in the Proz system - matters which, I suggest, should be much higer on Henry's list of priorities than this: https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_directory/326140-proz_find™_search_tool_alpha_speed_improvement_search_by_location_improved.html

Before attempting to make it work 'better', it would be sensible to make it work 'properly'! Otherwise you're building on (shifting) sands.

RL

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:15
Serbian to English
+ ...
You are right, *in more than one way ...* Jun 17, 2018

Dan Lucas wrote:

Lancashireman wrote:
What were the management thinking of when they decided to rewrite the history books?

Probably that they would like to convert non-paying members to paying members, using KudoZ as a bludgeon?

ProZ is not a charity, or an industry association, but a business (albeit a rather slow-moving one) that presumably would like to maximise the return on the resources it has invested in this site.

I don't participate in KudoZ, so I am indifferent, but presumably this KudoZ ranking means something to you, otherwise you would not have made this post. If it is in some way valuable to you, then why not pay for membership? You might argue that this is a sudden change in the rules (if it is confirmed as such) but it looks as if it only affects those who do not pay anything to ProZ. It seems to me to be hard to justify treating such people in the same way as paying members.

Regards,
Dan

All those asking Kudoz questions, getting FREE help for their PAID work, and never even trying to answer even a single question to help others, surely qualify for "getting a free lunch"? They should also be expected not to expect to be geting "free lunch" forever?

You also seem to be forgetting those who use the site to find translators: how much would YOU trust a site where available information is dictated by how much someone is willing to pay to be visible?

All that logic sounds like "knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing" ...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Airbrushed out of the charts (ProZ.com team: Full leader list will be made accessible again)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »