Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Your opinion? A certain KudoZ asker always awards points to the same answerer.
Thread poster: Daniel Frisano
Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Follow-up? Dec 20, 2017

Daniel:

Did you ever bring this issue to the attention of site staff, and was it resolved?

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:53
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Robert Dec 20, 2017

All right, let's add a further assumption to this highly hypothetical scenario.

Imagine that someone brings this issue to the attention of site staff, and they reply that they see nothing wrong with it, and that the asker is free to choose whatever answer they dream appropriate.

What would you think?

Remember, we are talking literally hundreds of questions all awarded to the same responder, regardless of other users proposing convincing answers.

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Daniel Dec 20, 2017

Daniel Frisano wrote:

All right, let's add a further assumption to this highly hypothetical scenario.

Imagine that someone brings this issue to the attention of site staff, and they reply that they see nothing wrong with it, and that the asker is free to choose whatever answer they dream appropriate.

What would you think?

Remember, we are talking literally hundreds of questions all awarded to the same responder, regardless of other users proposing convincing answers.

If I were you (in what we both understand is an entirely hypothetical scenario) and if I felt highly confident that I had a solid case, and that the issue was important enough to warrant an important investment of my time and energy, I would think about doing the following:
Marshall evidence supporting your claim (i.e., specific questions in which Asker A selected Answerer B's answer in response to clearly superior suggestions; also statistics confirming the "symbiotic relationship" you allege exists within Kudoz between Asker A and Answerer B (i.e., the latter primarily gets points only for answering the former's questions, and the former primarily awards points only to the latter).
As I commented in a previous post, there surely must be other participants in the Kudoz forum in question who have witnessed the same pattern that you are alleging. Contact these persons and ask their permission to use them as references to support your claim.

I hope that this is helpful. Good luck!

N.B.: I assume that you meant "deem appropriate."

[Edited at 2017-12-20 17:22 GMT]

Daniel Frisano
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Let others take care of that Dec 20, 2017

Other users should wake up. If someone keeps wasting their time and effort in such a situation, they are pretty much asking to be cheated.

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:53
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Asker A and answerer B Dec 20, 2017

Any suspicion that asker A and answerer B are the same person? That was the case several years ago in the Spanish>English pair. Answerer B posted answers to asker A's questions, within a minute or two, and was always awarded the points. A little detective work by a member revealed that asker A and answerer B were the same person with two user names.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Impossible Dec 20, 2017

Robin Levey wrote:

Asker answers his/her own question, and wins 4 Kudoz every time = cheating on the directory ranking.

Except where B doesn't reply, in which case it might be a genuine question.

This is not possible as moderators have tools for detecting this practice, instead a cospiracy between 2 people is possible, I think.

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Peer comments Dec 21, 2017

Hi Daniel,
It would be interesting to know the ratio of agrees/disagrees given to B as compared to other answerers.
Obviously, Vox Populi is not always Vox Dei, but it can be helpful in the big picture.

Another thing that strikes me is that A must be a very heavy asker in order to follow this pattern several times a day and post hundreds of questions.

[Edited at 2017-12-21 00:43 GMT]

Daniel Frisano
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Beatriz Dec 21, 2017

Disagrees are non-existent, and agrees are too rare to establish a clear pattern.

B receives no more and no less agrees than other users. There are cases in which B's answer is selected as the most useful despite other users receiving agrees and B receiving none at all. The opposite never happens (by definition, since B gets 100% of selections).

Yes, user A asks a lot, several times a day, every day. I might add that all of A's questions are related to material that can
... See more
Disagrees are non-existent, and agrees are too rare to establish a clear pattern.

B receives no more and no less agrees than other users. There are cases in which B's answer is selected as the most useful despite other users receiving agrees and B receiving none at all. The opposite never happens (by definition, since B gets 100% of selections).

Yes, user A asks a lot, several times a day, every day. I might add that all of A's questions are related to material that can be very easily found on the web. Theoretically, one wouldn't even need actual translation jobs from which such questions originate. Just open a website that has an infinite source of translatable material (like one of the largest rivers in the world), and start asking.

From London to Rome, sipping a cocktail made of gin and vermouth with an olive.

[Edited at 2017-12-21 02:08 GMT]
Collapse

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:53
Serbian to English
+ ...
even a quick look Dec 22, 2017

at the IT-EN / EN-IT pairs reveals some "unexpected patterns", that should warrant a more in-depth analysis.

Someone getting a huge proportion of "accepted answers" from his attempts at answering questions, all that from predominantly the same Asker - could mean many things. Not a definitive proof of anything, but worth taking a closer look - if nothing else, to establish is someone is exceptionally good at answering questions or at respecting the letter of rules while
... See more
at the IT-EN / EN-IT pairs reveals some "unexpected patterns", that should warrant a more in-depth analysis.

Someone getting a huge proportion of "accepted answers" from his attempts at answering questions, all that from predominantly the same Asker - could mean many things. Not a definitive proof of anything, but worth taking a closer look - if nothing else, to establish is someone is exceptionally good at answering questions or at respecting the letter of rules while totally perverting them ...

A remember a case when a group of friends saw nothing wrong in indulging in a bit of shill bidding on Ebay, to push each other's selling prices up on virtual auctions [for relatively small amounts], only to land in very deep water in a very real Court ... But that was eBay.

[Edited at 2017-12-22 11:24 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-12-24 20:56 GMT]
Collapse

Angie Garbarino

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
The Return Of The Sly Dogs Dec 22, 2017

LOL, I had this suspect the first time I become a Proz member (on about 2003), and now the same topic reappears

I remember I did then a simple count and found that "given a minimal time to read, doing a quick search, and post the answer with a couple of Web links" would have required a handful of minutes

then deducting the time needed for the daily activities (sleeping, cooking, eating etc) and mult
... See more
LOL, I had this suspect the first time I become a Proz member (on about 2003), and now the same topic reappears

I remember I did then a simple count and found that "given a minimal time to read, doing a quick search, and post the answer with a couple of Web links" would have required a handful of minutes

then deducting the time needed for the daily activities (sleeping, cooking, eating etc) and multiplying the remaining time for the incredible huge amount of points of certain kudozers, I answered to myself that either high-points holders loafed their days away, or some sly dogs found the trick

joking aside, don't attach much importance to kudoz and your kudoz rank: other skills are needed to acquire jobs

Tom in London wrote:

I am 100% sure that the practice of collusion, asserted by Daniel, does exist and I have little doubt that some translators who have a high score of Kudoz points do not deserve them.

[Edited at 2017-12-15 07:47 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Your opinion? A certain KudoZ asker always awards points to the same answerer.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »