Thread poster: Ania Heasley
Ania Heasley
Ania Heasley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:48
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 2, 2020

If you wonder what the day to day life of a court and police interpreters like, I would like to recommend a book on the subject, by one such interpreter.

See more
If you wonder what the day to day life of a court and police interpreters like, I would like to recommend a book on the subject, by one such interpreter.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/View-Dock-Diary-Court-Interpreter/dp/1676346376/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=view%20from%20the%20dock&qid=1577959914&sr=8-1
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
INteresting Jan 2, 2020

Very interesting - thanks (although if I buy it I will not be buying it from Amazon)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwrUYS9UTeU

[Edited at 2020-01-02 12:57 GMT]

Ania Heasley
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why not from Amazon? Jan 2, 2020

Tom, why won't you buy it from Amazon? I don't think it is available anywhere else. Just like an increasing majority of everything we buy these days

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Because Jan 2, 2020

Ania Heasley wrote:

Tom, why won't you buy it from Amazon?

Because of the terrible working conditions and because Amazon doesn't pay its taxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwrUYS9UTeU

[Edited at 2020-01-02 12:58 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Deleted (double posting) Jan 2, 2020

[Edited at 2020-01-02 13:20 GMT]

Ania Heasley
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Off off topic Jan 5, 2020

Tom,
Since this is already an off topic, I will make it off off topic, and ask you, in all seriousness, if you are boycotting amazon, where do you buy books? Reference books, unusual books, unique books, self-published books, books which have no chance of being displayed in the likes of Waterstone's etc, because the world of publishing has gone online in a vast majority of cases?
Thanks
Ania

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Bookfinder Jan 6, 2020

Ania Heasley wrote:

Tom,
Since this is already an off topic, I will make it off off topic, and ask you, in all seriousness, if you are boycotting amazon, where do you buy books? Reference books, unusual books, unique books, self-published books, books which have no chance of being displayed in the likes of Waterstone's etc, because the world of publishing has gone online in a vast majority of cases?
Thanks
Ania

Bookfinder is owned by Amazon but when you find the book you're looking for, you can select a reseller that isn't Amazon!

https://www.bookfinder.com/

For example yesterday I searched for this Italian book https://officinalibraria.net/shop/giuliano-da-sangallo/ using Bookfinder and then bought it from a small traditional antiquarian bookseller based in Dulverton (Somerset) - who was offering the best price.

[Edited at 2020-01-06 09:12 GMT]

Ania Heasley
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bookfinder limitations Jan 6, 2020

Thank you for the link. I had a look. But. It only works if you know exactly what you are looking for. I typed in 'medical interpreting' and it brought up loads of titles, but only if they contain the words medical and interpreting, but it wouldn't bring up e.g. 'Interpretation in medical setting' or different combinations.
I think you are missing out, seriously. Amazon is a huge bookshop, a delight to browse. I think it's a case of if you can't beat them, join them.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes but Jan 6, 2020

Ania Heasley wrote:

Thank you for the link. I had a look. But. It only works if you know exactly what you are looking for. I typed in 'medical interpreting' and it brought up loads of titles, but only if they contain the words medical and interpreting, but it wouldn't bring up e.g. 'Interpretation in medical setting' or different combinations.
I think you are missing out, seriously. Amazon is a huge bookshop, a delight to browse. I think it's a case of if you can't beat them, join them.

I use Amazon to read book reviews, and identify books I want. Then when I have title and Author, I use Bookfinder to search for that book. Easy!

Ania Heasley

Ania Heasley
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I see Jan 6, 2020

Oh, I see. So you do go on Amazon for reference but not to buy. That makes more sense now!

Tom in London

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Book on Court and Police interpreting

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »