Egor Shapurov
Egor Shapurov  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:32
English to Russian
+ ...
May 4, 2019

Hello everyone,

I started learning Hindi a few months ago, and would like to start reading.

Does anyone know where I can find classic fiction books in Hindi? In particular, those where you can just copy and paste the words to the dictionary / google translate. So far I have found a lot of PDFs but unfortunately none of them seem to have the right formatting for this purpose, and I am really tired of reading random articles on Wikipedia.

Any classic fiction
... See more
Hello everyone,

I started learning Hindi a few months ago, and would like to start reading.

Does anyone know where I can find classic fiction books in Hindi? In particular, those where you can just copy and paste the words to the dictionary / google translate. So far I have found a lot of PDFs but unfortunately none of them seem to have the right formatting for this purpose, and I am really tired of reading random articles on Wikipedia.

Any classic fiction book would do - for as long as there is an English translation or original of it available.

I am learning how to type in Hindi but still manage ca. 20 words per minute, not more, and it is really annoying this way.

Thank you very much in advance.
Collapse

Devendra Singh

Devendra Singh
Devendra Singh
India
Local time: 08:02
Member (2011)
English to Hindi
+ ...
classic fictions and stories May 4, 2019

Hi Egor,
Good to hear that you are willing to study Hindi classics.
Below link of Mahatma Gandhi Hindi Vishvavidyalaya's initiative will be useful in this regard.

http://hindisamay.com/Download%20Sec/E%20book%20index.htm

Here are some classic fictions and stories-
----
प्रे
... See more
Hi Egor,
Good to hear that you are willing to study Hindi classics.
Below link of Mahatma Gandhi Hindi Vishvavidyalaya's initiative will be useful in this regard.

http://hindisamay.com/Download%20Sec/E%20book%20index.htm

Here are some classic fictions and stories-
----
प्रेम चंद (Prem Chand)
http://hindisamay.com/premchand%20samagra/Indexpremchand.htm
--------------------------------
जय शंकर प्रसाद (Jai Shankar Prasad)- One of the four pillars of छायावाद (Romaticism). Below link could provide useful readings-
http://gadyakosh.org/gk/जयशंकर_प्रसाद

Please let me know if it is helpful to you and and feel free to ask for any specific help.

Kind Regards,
Devendra Kumar Singh
Researcher, Editor & Localizer
-------------------------
F-4, H No. 4211, Alok Vihar
Sector-50, Noida, India-201301
Mo.: +91 - 8588982051, 7982685806
Skype ID: devendrakrsingh
Collapse

Egor Shapurov
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. May 4, 2019

प्रेम चंद (Prem Chand)
http://hindisamay.com/premchand%20samagra/Indexpremchand.htm

Man, you are wonderful, thank you.

I have already found a lot of free PDFs with, among other things, translations of Dostojewsky, which I would really like to (re-)read, but they are unfortunately really hard to read because I have to type everything in manually - copy and paste doesn't work with scanned PDF, and the OCR software does not seem to work in the case with Hindi.

The link above is just wonderful because I can copy and paste. Again, thank you very much - that was exactly what I was looking for.

Please feel free to share more!

Egor Shapurov
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Any other suggestions? Jul 3, 2019

Premchand is quite hard to read, it took me a month to read three short stories, and I have also found out that he used quite a lot of words which even natives - I have got to know a few of them recently - cannot understand.

I think I will give it another try, so:

- I can understand some basic Hindi, I figure it is around A2+/B1 at the moment;
- I am looking for a book I can read, preferably some fiction book that was translated into Hindi from (any European langu
... See more
Premchand is quite hard to read, it took me a month to read three short stories, and I have also found out that he used quite a lot of words which even natives - I have got to know a few of them recently - cannot understand.

I think I will give it another try, so:

- I can understand some basic Hindi, I figure it is around A2+/B1 at the moment;
- I am looking for a book I can read, preferably some fiction book that was translated into Hindi from (any European language);
- It should be possible to copy and paste the words from the book, so I can use my dictionaries. I have got better at using Hindi keyboard but it would still be much quicker if I could just copy and paste.

I guess Premchand & Co. is something I will only feel comfortable with in a few months - it is pretty advanced stuff. I have also been reading a lot of Wikipedia articles in Hindi, and it is much easier to understand them. Even Dostoyevski in Hindi is easier for me to understand - maybe it has something to do with the fact that I have read his novels so many times - I wish I had a proper Dostoyevski's ebook in Hindi as opposed to a bunch of rather lame scans.

Thank you for any suggestions.
Collapse

Egor Shapurov
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Crime and Punishment Jun 30, 2020

I wish I had a proper Dostoyevski's ebook in Hindi as opposed to a bunch of rather lame scans.

By the way, in case someone else is interested, the 'Crime and Punishment' in Hindi is found in its entirety on hindisamay as well (see the link below). It is also a very good translation as far as I am concerned/as far as I can judge with my rather limited Hindi:

http://www.hindisamay.com

Best Website To Read Hindi Story Sep 19, 2022

A large number of readers are indeed interested in reading classic Hindi fiction. Hindi literature has a very magnificent history. Some of works are so popular they are on the tongue tips of a large section of the society. The stories form a major part of this rich literature. Fiction is a very fascinating form of literature. The scope and nature of fiction leads to highly creative pieces of writings. Hindi stories are also filled with deep creative flavour. One will instantly love such masterpi... See more
A large number of readers are indeed interested in reading classic Hindi fiction. Hindi literature has a very magnificent history. Some of works are so popular they are on the tongue tips of a large section of the society. The stories form a major part of this rich literature. Fiction is a very fascinating form of literature. The scope and nature of fiction leads to highly creative pieces of writings. Hindi stories are also filled with deep creative flavour. One will instantly love such masterpieces. Some people, in fact, never stop reading hindi fiction stories.

Although classic hindi fiction is awesome, it is becoming a little difficult to find them. To solve this problem only online portals like Pratilipi are now making a variety of hindi stories available online. Now you do not have to search for a publication to get your favourite story. All types of hindi stories including fiction are present on Pratilipi’s website. You shall find a large collection of such stories. Get any story of your choice on the website easily. Just make a quick search and it will be on your screen. So, Pratilipi is the best website To read Hindi story . Visit now and find your favourite one.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Amar Nath[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Classic Fiction in Hindi

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »