Error 521 & 0x800420C8 - problems with sending mails from a Yahoo account using Outlook Express
Thread poster: Caryl Swift
Caryl Swift
Caryl Swift  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 14:05
Polish to English
+ ...
Aug 28, 2007

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum on which to post this plea for help? If not, please could it be redirected?

Today I transferred my yahoo.co.uk mail address to Outlook Express. After checking that it was boith sending and receiving, I started sending off notifications that this yahoo address is now my main mail address, sending the mail to multiple addressees in batches of between 30 and 40 addresses and using the Bcc facility.

The first two mails went off wi
... See more
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum on which to post this plea for help? If not, please could it be redirected?

Today I transferred my yahoo.co.uk mail address to Outlook Express. After checking that it was boith sending and receiving, I started sending off notifications that this yahoo address is now my main mail address, sending the mail to multiple addressees in batches of between 30 and 40 addresses and using the Bcc facility.

The first two mails went off without a hitch. Then, suddenly, eveything ground to a halt and up popped this message:

'An unknown error was returned from the SMTP server. Subject 'XXXXXXX', Account: 'pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk', Server: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '521 yahoo.com closing transmission channel. User is over the limit for messages allowed to be sent in a single day.', Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 521, Error Number: 0x800CCC61'

I posted this as a question on the Yahoo forum - why am I receiving Server 521 Error messages? While I was waiting for an answer, several mails which were stuck in the queue, both multi-addressed and addressed to individuals, suddenly got sent! I was than able to send several more.

But suddenly, once again there was a screech of brakes and once again, nothing was sent and up came the same message. Several hours later, again, one suddenly was sent off. Two still sit in limbo. When I have another go at sending them, sometimes I get the above error message and sometimes I get this one:

'The message could not be opened from out Outbox folder. Account: 'pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk', Server: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800420C8'

I've now received an answer from the Yahoo forum, suggesting that this is because I haven't paid for Yahoo Mail Plus and thus will not be able to utilise POP. BUT - my mails are arriving and, for a while, I was able to send them.

I've also written to Yahoo Customer Service, but for now, "No answer came the stern reply" ...

Nowhere on the Yahoo pages does it tell me that there is a daily limit on how many mails I may send. The only limit on the free mails service that I can find is that attachments over 10MG can't be sent. Nowhere can I find anything which says that in order to use Yahoo with Microsoft Express, I must pay. Not even on the page of instructions about how to set up Yahoo in Outlook Express. Surely if that were the case, that, of all pages, should tell me 'You can only make this work if you pay'?

Please, can anyone help me solve this? Is it a matter of a deeply-hidden clause limiting the number of mails one may send? Is it somewhere written that one must pay to send the mails? Or is this a technical glitch at either Yahoo or with Outlook Express?

My apologies for the length of this, but I wanted to give as much context as I could!

All suggestions will be most gratefully received!

Caryl
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: spam
Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 14:05
English to German
Hidden limits? Mar 25, 2020

Caryl Swift wrote:

Nowhere on the Yahoo pages does it tell me that there is a daily limit on how many mails I may send.

Nowhere is not nowhere.
Look here: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN3353.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error 521 & 0x800420C8 - problems with sending mails from a Yahoo account using Outlook Express

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »