Thread poster: Clare Bentley
María C Turri
María C Turri  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:24
Member (2019)
English to Spanish
As much memory as you can afford Nov 18, 2020

Hello, Claire. I just bought a new laptop after 8 years two weeks ago. I went for a Lenovo with Intel I7, 20 GB RAM, 408 GB SSD (I would have loved to have another disk just for storage, but I'm argentinian and computers are getting very expensive here due to my country's economic situation). I would suggest checking your CAT tools minimum requirements and buying something with extra RAM, as much as you can afford. Yesterday I checked my new machine's functioning with everything I normally have ... See more
Hello, Claire. I just bought a new laptop after 8 years two weeks ago. I went for a Lenovo with Intel I7, 20 GB RAM, 408 GB SSD (I would have loved to have another disk just for storage, but I'm argentinian and computers are getting very expensive here due to my country's economic situation). I would suggest checking your CAT tools minimum requirements and buying something with extra RAM, as much as you can afford. Yesterday I checked my new machine's functioning with everything I normally have in use while working and it's already using up 6GB from my RAM. I don't know how my old laptop was even working anymore, but that certainly justifies some of its latest problems. The screen is 15.6" wide, which is enough for me, since I'm considering using an extra monitor sometimes.

With regards to gaming machines, my husband (who loves gaming) has explained to me that these machines usually important a graphic boards which are necessary for better visualization but increase the value quite a lot, without adding much to the use we give to the machine.

I hope this helps and enjoy your new computer!
Collapse

Ann Marie Bohan

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:24
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
In case of power interruption Nov 21, 2020

One aspect to consider when buying a new computer is that, having an internal battery, laptops don't shut down in case of accidental power interruption, which means that you can keep working until battery allows.

On the contrary—unless they are connected to an UPS device—desktops shut down without letting you the time to save working files and programs, which may also result in a hardware breakdown.

It is true the replacement batteries for laptops cost quite a bit
... See more
One aspect to consider when buying a new computer is that, having an internal battery, laptops don't shut down in case of accidental power interruption, which means that you can keep working until battery allows.

On the contrary—unless they are connected to an UPS device—desktops shut down without letting you the time to save working files and programs, which may also result in a hardware breakdown.

It is true the replacement batteries for laptops cost quite a bit of money, but UPS devices cost more to replace.
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Jorge Payan

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:24
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Maria Nov 21, 2020

María C Turri wrote:
With regards to gaming machines, my husband (who loves gaming) has explained to me that these machines usually important a graphic boards which are necessary for better visualization but increase the [price] quite a lot, without adding much [value] to the use we give to the machine.

This is true. A computer can be called a "gaming computer" if it has the ability to play games that require powerful graphics cards. Not all games require it, but some games have a movie-like appearance and require the computer to be able to respond very, very quickly to movements made by the gamer, and players tend to want to play on ever larger monitors. And graphics cards are expensive (easily the most expensive part of the computer). This is why buying a computer with onboard graphics can be a lot cheaper (this is why I suggested the Ryzen 3). One can use a site like Game Debate to see whether a game can likely be played on a particular system.

However, what I said earlier also applies: stores will often brand a computer a "gaming" computer simply because it is designed to sell to this particular market segment. For example, it can have a cool-looking case, or have flashing coloured lights, or have a viewing window (so that you and your friends can admire the insides of the box, etc. etc., all of which appeal to the "gaming" segment but which doesn't say anything about the performance. The proof is in the pudding -- it's what's inside that counts.

[Edited at 2020-11-21 10:00 GMT]

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
"Computer" setting Nov 25, 2020

Baran Keki wrote:

I'm wondering if using a large screen TV as a monitor is a good idea (in terms of text quality)?

Hi Baran
I'm currently experimenting with this for occasional use and it looks like it's not generally recommended as most flat screen TVs are glossy so reflect light back into your eyes, which can give you redeye.
If the TV has a "Computer" setting that helps a lot with things like smoother text.
A proper computer monitor of the same size is a lot more expensive for a reason methinks.

If you wear glasses to work, ones with the right focal length to stay a healthy distance from the screen and keep your upper body in an upright position are a really good idea. I used to use reading glasses and was always leaning towards the screen, the focal distance on these starts at 80 cm and they stay focused until about 1.5 m.

[Edited at 2020-11-25 12:31 GMT]

Clare Bentley
Clare Bentley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:24
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again Nov 26, 2020

Thanks everyone for your comments. Sorry for not replying sooner.
@Lincoln. You're quite right. I would indeed still have my old laptop if I bought a new one. For some reason I was thinking that by buying a new laptop and having that set up with a monitor etc, I'd be replacing my own laptop. But of course, the old one would be usable, so that argument doesn't wash!

You ask why I prefer a PC over a laptop. I suppose it's because I've just always hated using a laptop. I just do
... See more
Thanks everyone for your comments. Sorry for not replying sooner.
@Lincoln. You're quite right. I would indeed still have my old laptop if I bought a new one. For some reason I was thinking that by buying a new laptop and having that set up with a monitor etc, I'd be replacing my own laptop. But of course, the old one would be usable, so that argument doesn't wash!

You ask why I prefer a PC over a laptop. I suppose it's because I've just always hated using a laptop. I just don't find it very ergonomic. You have to look down at the screen, not up, the keyboard is too small / awkward to use ... I just really hate them! I understand that I could buy a new keyboard and large monitor and so it would work like a desktop. I think that if I were starting out from scratch, that's the option I would go for. But I already have a laptop (and I really do use it rarely), so I just don't see the point in buying another one. I wouldn't use it for the keyboard or the monitor, so why not just buy a PC? I also thought that a laptop probably wouldn't be as powerful as a PC, like for like. And aren't they noisier?

I fully accept that I'm probably quite out of date in some of my views, which is why it's interesting to hear other people's thoughts which make me reconsider.
Collapse

Jocelin Meunier
Jocelin Meunier  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Keyboard Nov 27, 2020

Hello Clare, I just read your last reply about laptops and I agree with most of it, it's not as convenient as a PC in terms of comfort. To me, laptops' keyboards always felt a bit awkward in terms of "finger feel". I use a mechanical keyboard and it makes typing more agreable, which is always a plus when you spend several hours working on it. My advice would be, try to test different keyboards if you can, in shops or elsewhere, and see what feels more pleasant.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New PC - any recommendations?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »