Thread poster: Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 22, 2020

If I have Instagram on an iPhone, how come I can't get it on an iPad? Keeps telling me "Incompatible". There are 10 million hits out there for advice on how to do it, and everyone says Don't worry, there's a trick, even if the iPad is old, which it is, but nobody ever explains the trick in their 10-minute videos, and it's driving me nuts in this day and age with what should be a simple operation, trying to get the ruddy thing on the iPad.

mughwI
mughwI
United States
Local time: 17:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
Instagram on iPad May 22, 2020

Maybe this can help:

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iosapps/get-instagram-ipad-3681306/

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks mughwI May 22, 2020

But this says the same as all the others. No matter what I do, it's always the same, you reach "Get" for Instagram, and then when it comes to "Install", it just says Not compatible with iPad.

Looks like it's not meant for iPad, and so you can't. Plus, it seems that the resolution is grainy when it does come up, then you reduce it to normal resolution, whereupon it just sits in the middle of the iPad screen, so what's the point of having it on iPad anyway?

And I'm gettin
... See more
But this says the same as all the others. No matter what I do, it's always the same, you reach "Get" for Instagram, and then when it comes to "Install", it just says Not compatible with iPad.

Looks like it's not meant for iPad, and so you can't. Plus, it seems that the resolution is grainy when it does come up, then you reduce it to normal resolution, whereupon it just sits in the middle of the iPad screen, so what's the point of having it on iPad anyway?

And I'm getting very tired of seeing that Oriental girl blowing out her bubble gum with the diamond pattern on the wall in the background, too, so I think I'll let it go.

[Edited at 2020-05-22 14:36 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 21:11
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I know you're tired and it can be very annoying, but try these: May 22, 2020

I just tried installing Instagram on my 2nd generation iPod Touch and got this:
http://i.imgur.com/SIGHyKE
People with old devices should try installi
... See more
I just tried installing Instagram on my 2nd generation iPod Touch and got this:
http://i.imgur.com/SIGHyKE
People with old devices should try installing apps that were before incompatible!
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/1mjw36/people_with_old_ios_devices_you_can_now_install/

You can find some tricks here:
The official reason Instagram (owned by Facebook) gave on why they haven’t created an Instagram app for iPad is that they are focusing primarily on the mobile iPhone and Android systems to build their audience.
https://appamatix.com/get-instagram-app-for-ipad/

I am not an Instagram or iPad user...
I hope it helps!
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, doesn't go anywhere May 22, 2020

Thanks, expressisverbis, but no go.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Start from Safari? May 22, 2020

A tutorial I found suggests the following:

1. Open instagram.com in Safari
2. Click Get it on Google Play button (bottom right)
3. Go and download the app

For some reason the starting position must be Safari, and it gets you to an app for Instagram with an odd looking interface.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Lingua 5B ... May 23, 2020

... but no go. All the thousands of tutorials lead to nothing. I reach the part where you click on "Get", then it fails at "Install".

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Hummm May 23, 2020

I don't have Instagram account so can't download it, it prompts me to "Sign in so you can download the app". My iPad is 2018, what's yours? Yes, some apps are definitely limited, for instance impossible to use Whatsapp on iPad.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's not mine May 23, 2020

Definitely pre-2018, more like 2008! But I've given up by now. Not a priority this weekend - I already wasted a lot of time on this on Friday ...

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Update. May 23, 2020

I just went directly to App Store and downloaded the Instagram app, as simple as that. Success. Now I need to sign in, but won't be doing that as no account. No need for more accounts for anything lol

During quarantine many of my friends were on Whatsapp groups and was impossible to use from iPad. I find phone too small for chats.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sign in May 23, 2020

I remember a signing-in. Maybe I'll try that, but it's not mine, so I never had the sign-in info anyway. Thanks again!

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
iOS Version May 23, 2020

Not sure if you can get the latest iOS on your iPad, but make sure it’s the latest version possible, that may also help.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK May 23, 2020

I'll have a go later.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to put Instagram on an iPad

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »