Thread poster: Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:26
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Dec 27, 2013

I tried opening a MemSource xliff files (mxliff) for translation in DVX. First I changed the extension to .xliff.
The only problem is that codes are not protected. How can I protect them?

In the actual xliff file I can see them like this:
{4}{5 & g t ; None & l t ; 5}{6}

(Spacing changed so that you can see the code as is)

Here None is translatable and the rest are bits of code. It is interesting that the code has open and close tag with the sam
... See more
I tried opening a MemSource xliff files (mxliff) for translation in DVX. First I changed the extension to .xliff.

Here None is translatable and the rest are bits of code. It is interesting that the code has open and close tag with the same number (i.e. {5> and < 5}) as well as independent numbers (i.e. {6})

[Edited at 2013-12-27 10:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-12-27 10:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-12-27 10:10 GMT]
Collapse

DavidCanek
DavidCanek
Local time: 16:26
English to Czech
DVX and MXLIFF Dec 28, 2013

I am not very knowledgeable of DVX but if DVX does not support MXLIFF, which I doubt, you may run into some problems, especially if the source file is XML, HTML or XLIFF.

It is interesting that the code has open and close tag with the same number (i.e. {5> and < 5}) as well as independent numbers (i.e. {6})

{5> and < 5} is a paired tag
... See more
I am not very knowledgeable of DVX but if DVX does not support MXLIFF, which I doubt, you may run into some problems, especially if the source file is XML, HTML or XLIFF.

It is interesting that the code has open and close tag with the same number (i.e. {5> and < 5}) as well as independent numbers (i.e. {6})

{5> and < 5} is a paired tag while {6} is an unpaired tag.

If you enjoy playing with CAT tools, go ahead with MXLIFF in DVX and let us know how it went. If you just want to do your translation, you should use MemSource Editor, which has been designed for MXLIFF files.
Collapse

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:26
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I know Dec 28, 2013

David,

I know that MemSource properly supports mxliff files; one should expect that since it is its native format! My point is about compatibility with other CAT tools, that in my opinion is imperative, and all CAT tool manufacturers should do their best to provide that.

To be honest, MemSource, although I think it is a good tool overall, is not my CAT tool of choice. Its' editor's typing and basic editing functions responsiveness (for example copying and pasting bits)
... See more
David,

I know that MemSource properly supports mxliff files; one should expect that since it is its native format! My point is about compatibility with other CAT tools, that in my opinion is imperative, and all CAT tool manufacturers should do their best to provide that.

To be honest, MemSource, although I think it is a good tool overall, is not my CAT tool of choice. Its' editor's typing and basic editing functions responsiveness (for example copying and pasting bits) is not much to my liking to start with; there is no automatic term replacement; no shortcuts to reverse words (as in DVX), to name but a few.

But thanks for your feedback.
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:26
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Still not possible? Nov 4, 2017

I was searching other places as well, but with no success, therefore my follow-up:
Still no solution to process memsource files directly in DV X3 (by some filter options or similar)?

Thanks!

Matthias

mikhailo
mikhailo
Local time: 18:26
English to Russian
+ ...
re Nov 5, 2017

Spiros Doikas wrote:

Here None is translatable and the rest are bits of code. It is interesting that the code has open and close tag with the same number (i.e. {5> and < 5}) as well as independent numbers (i.e. {6})

[Edited at 2013-12-27 10:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-12-27 10:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-12-27 10:10 GMT]

xliff - is an xml file. So You can try to make own filter for MemSource xliff.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of MemSource xliff files in DVX

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »