I want to know the rates for transcreation.
Thread poster: satish krishna itikela
satish krishna itikela
satish krishna itikela  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:36
Member (2011)
English to Telugu
+ ...
Nov 11, 2020

Dear Colleagues,

I hope this post finds you all in good condition now-a-days. Recently a new client asked me to undertake the transcreation work for them. Actually i have very less experience in this field and i have revealed this to the client. I want to know how the transcreation project is charged, whether on per word basis as usual to translation or some other method. I request you all to please help me in this matter.

Best regards,
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

I hope this post finds you all in good condition now-a-days. Recently a new client asked me to undertake the transcreation work for them. Actually i have very less experience in this field and i have revealed this to the client. I want to know how the transcreation project is charged, whether on per word basis as usual to translation or some other method. I request you all to please help me in this matter.

Best regards,
Satish.
Collapse

mughwI
mughwI
United States
Local time: 05:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
By the hour Nov 11, 2020

Due to the type of work involved, I get paid by the hour for transcreation.

satish krishna itikela
MOUNIR LOUKOUMANOU

Anna Kiefer
Anna Kiefer
Germany
Local time: 10:06
English to German
+ ...
Hourly fee for transcreation Nov 11, 2020

Dear Satish,

I would recommend to charge per hour. Prices per word will not reflect the effort, unless you charge exceptional high rates.

Best regards,
Anna

satish krishna itikela
Alireza Jamalimanesh
MOUNIR LOUKOUMANOU

abdelkader jbira (X)
abdelkader jbira (X)  Identity Verified
Morocco
Local time: 09:06
Arabic to French
+ ...
Transcréation: c'est plus de la création que de la traduction Nov 11, 2020

satish krishna itikela wrote:

Dear Colleagues,

Best regards,
Satish.

Bonjour

Permettez -moi de vous répondre en français.

Je n'ai jamais fait de transcréation, mais je sais que le tarif se situe vers 60 euros par heure. Il y aura plusieurs heures de travail, c'est pourquoi il faut évaluer une moyenne d'heures pour fixer un prix à l'avance ou totaliser le temps à la fin du travail en concertation avec le client.

On doit rédiger plusieurs options et les soumettre au client. Celui-ci en choisit une, ensuite on la remodèle selon ses desiderata et en justifiant ses propres choix. Tout est étudié à fond : nombre de mots, leur musicalité, effet sonore et visuel ...bref la transcription fidèle du message dans l'autre langue avec les mêmes effets visuels, sonores, psychologiques, affectifs, etc. C'est dire que c'est un travail créatif qui inclut également l'art de la publicité, le marketing et... de la poésie, car on traduit un non-dit derrière ce qui est dit (ou écrit). La moindre erreur de conception peut être fatale et avoir un effet inverse de celui recherché par le client.

J'espère avoir aidé.

[Modifié le 2020-11-11 16:53 GMT]

[Modifié le 2020-11-11 16:55 GMT]

satish krishna itikela
Nicole Simmen
Anne-Sophie Ronvaux
alexis avedissian
Alejandro Vegas-Gutierrez
MOUNIR LOUKOUMANOU

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:06
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Creative translation or transcreation ? Nov 11, 2020

I most often do creative translation: not a close translation at the word or even the sentence level, but translating the marketing message behind the words. I charge a per-word rate, but quite a high one due to the effort and skill involved.

Sometimes, I translate advertisements, with slogans, etc. That's true transcreation and it's charged per hour of my time or a set rate for the job. I could end up spending two hours or more on a dozen or so words.

satish krishna itikela
Nicole Simmen
MOUNIR LOUKOUMANOU
Dorota Oleś

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:06
English to Turkish
+ ...
hourly fee Nov 11, 2020

Client will ask for three or more alternatives, back translations, rationales for each alternative. Too much work involved in transcreation. And several mails to reply even for a small job. And of course you will have to read tons of documents about the client.

Jean Dimitriadis
satish krishna itikela
Hemn Mohammed
MOUNIR LOUKOUMANOU

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 05:06
Member (2011)
English to German
@Satish Nov 12, 2020

satish krishna itikela wrote:

I want to know how the transcreation project is charged, whether on per word basis as usual to translation or some other method. I request you all to please help me in this matter.

If Nicole, a great transcreation artist, were still alive, I'm sure she would love to answer your question personally. In memoriam: Content Creation Rates

satish krishna itikela

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:06
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Marina and Satish Nov 12, 2020

[quote]Marina Steinbach wrote:

If Nicole, a great transcreation artist, were still alive, I'm sure she would love to answer your question personally. In memoriam: Content Creation Rates

I too loved reading Nicole's forum posts and miss her shrewd, no-nonsense style. Correct me if I'm wrong, Marina, but I believe the rates she had shared in her post would have been her agency rates, whereas Satish is a freelancer, and living in India. Two factors that need to be considered here, IMO.

Back to Satish. In your profile, you already list transcreation among your services, and seem to have provided such services for a number of years. So, I wonder why you are seeking help with transcreation rates now. Can you perhaps elaborate, providing some more details about this potential new assignment? What is it that worries you, specifically? Are you comfortable with the field/topic of the assignment? As already mentioned, you'll have to know your client and their products inside out, in order to produce effective copy in your native language(s).

satish krishna itikela

satish krishna itikela
India
Member (2011)
English to Telugu
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you one and all. Nov 12, 2020

Dear Colleagues,

I thank you each and every one for your prompt and valuable inputs and helped me to know about the rates. I am really delighted with your responses.

Best regards,
Satish.

satish krishna itikela
India
Member (2011)
English to Telugu
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Nov 12, 2020

Dear Barbara,

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. You are right that this service is listed in my profile but in starting years of my career i had provided this service for one or two clients and that too just for taglines and nothing more. After a long gap of 20 years now a new client approached and asked me to provide rates. In the past i just charged for words as i was new to the industry but now it has changed a lot so i want to charge according to t
... See more
Dear Barbara,

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. You are right that this service is listed in my profile but in starting years of my career i had provided this service for one or two clients and that too just for taglines and nothing more. After a long gap of 20 years now a new client approached and asked me to provide rates. In the past i just charged for words as i was new to the industry but now it has changed a lot so i want to charge according to the present situation. Yet the collaboration is not completed with the client so i don't have much details or information about the project.

Thank you once again for the details you provided.

Best regards,
Satish.
Collapse

Barbara Carrara

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I want to know the rates for transcreation.

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »