Thread poster: Maria Jordan
Maria Jordan
Maria Jordan
Germany
Local time: 16:31
English to German
+ ...
Jan 15, 2008

Which form of English is preferred in China?
British English or American English

redred
redred  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 22:31
English to Chinese
+ ...
no difference Jan 16, 2008

In school education, British English may be prevail, but in adulthood, American culture influences a lot of aspects thanks to TOEFL, which trains English listening. However, average people are not linguists, they would not distinguish B english from A english. Even counterparts in this circle, would they prefer one to the other? I found that mobile is frequently used by people than cell phone, but the latter is used in US. All in all, no specified difference.

[Edited at 2008-01-16 04:06]

Milton Guo
Milton Guo  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
American Jan 29, 2008

American influence is everywhere while British is much weaker. So cultural invasion is quite an interesting topic

Jason Ma
Jason Ma  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Lend me your ears, If I'm politically correct to tell this story Jan 29, 2008

Once I heard a teacher of oral English from America commenting on British English as:
"Who cares about British English? The Great Britain is a tiny island at the corner of the world."
From people I know around me, most Chinese care little about the difference between British English and American English. Why bother anyway?

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
Asking another question to find an answer for the question in question Jan 29, 2008

Jason Ma wrote:

From people I know around me, most Chinese care little about the difference between British English and American English. Why bother anyway?

Do we care much about the difference among Oversea's Chinese, Taiwan Chinese, Hong Kong Chinese, Singapore Chinese and Mainland Chinese?

Wei Liu
Wei Liu
Canada
Local time: 07:31
English to Chinese
+ ...
something off topic Jan 29, 2008

Jason Ma wrote:
Lend me your ears, If I'm politically correct to tell this story

Once I heard a teacher of oral English from America commenting on British English as:
"Who cares about British English? The Great Britain is a tiny island at the corner of the world."

"Lend me your ears" reminds me of "请君为我侧耳听" in《将进酒》(Bringing in the Wine) written by李白(Li Bai), lol.

[Edited at 2008-01-29 07:07]

bin yang
bin yang
English to Chinese
+ ...
AE of course Jan 30, 2008

It is American English that's more preferred. Here in my town, private English schools and courses runners often use terms like "纯正美语", "美式发音" in their ads to appeal to parents, even though none of them meets the levels they boast of.

franksf
franksf
Chinese to English
博您轻松一笑 Jan 30, 2008

一位前辈写道:“I met a fiercely Anglophile Canadian who began to smoke pipes and wear tweed jackets and cavalry twill trousers with handsomely heavy hand-sewn English shoes, all actually ideal (I had to admit) for walking on the muddy footpaths in the mild but perpetually damp climate. Within six months his adopted British accent became indistinguishable from the real thing.”

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

English in CHINA

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »