Thread poster: RaffaellaG
RaffaellaG
RaffaellaG  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:46
Chinese to Italian
+ ...
Dec 31, 2007

Do you know of any existing Chinese manual of style stating the rules to follow for printing matters lay out ? I mean something like the Chicago manual of style for English.
In any case, could you give your advise/idea on the followings:
1. Paragraph beginning has to be indented? do we still need to leave 2 blank spaces at the beginning or is that an old fashion?
2. Between paragraphs: do we need to leave a blank line in between every paragraph?
3. Quotes: how do you quot
... See more
Do you know of any existing Chinese manual of style stating the rules to follow for printing matters lay out ? I mean something like the Chicago manual of style for English.
1. Paragraph beginning has to be indented? do we still need to leave 2 blank spaces at the beginning or is that an old fashion?
2. Between paragraphs: do we need to leave a blank line in between every paragraph?
3. Quotes: how do you quote text from other sources: in between quotation marks, on separate indented paragraph or whatever?
4. Bibliography: how do you write a bibliography in chinese?
a) Date, author, title, publisher
b) Author, title, publisher, date
c) something else?
Any other suggestion related to existing printing rules will be much appreciated
Whishing you all a very happy New Year
Thanks
Raffaella
Collapse

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 18:46
English to Chinese
+ ...
Just for your reference Dec 31, 2007

Hi Raffaela,

Here are some links for Chinese layout styles:

http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q="中文体例"&meta=

http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q="印刷体例"&btnG=Suche&meta=

To your que
... See more
Hi Raffaela,

Here are some links for Chinese layout styles:

http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q="中文体例"&meta=

http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q="印刷体例"&btnG=Suche&meta=

To your questions:

The practice still prevails in official documents.

The practice still prevails in official documents.

3. Quotes: how do you quote text from other sources: in between quotation marks, on separate indented paragraph or whatever?

It depends on the bulk of the quoted text. However, indented paragraphs still prevail in official documents, unless it is just a quote of a few consecutive sentences.

c) something else?

Yes, we do write a bibilography in Chinese. You can find some examples in the following link:

http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q="中文体例",%20"参考书目"&meta=

I wish you a smooth running into a prosperous 2008!
Collapse

Jing Nie
Jing Nie
China
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
+ ...
my suggestion Dec 31, 2007

Hi Raffaela,

A: I do not know any Chinese manual like chicago manual of style.
You may refer
... See more
Hi Raffaela,

A: I do not know any Chinese manual like chicago manual of style.
You may refer to
http://www.google.cn/search?hl=zh-CN&newwindow=1&q=投稿格式要求&btnG=Google%20搜索&meta=
It 's the requirement of style for Papers.

A: We always levave 2 blank spaces unless it have sequence number at the beginning of the sentence.

A: Not always.

A: It depends.

c) something else?
A: b(Author, title, publisher, date ) is the common way.

I suggest you read similiar books/papers and copy their styles.

Happy New Year!
Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:46
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Mostly agreed Dec 31, 2007

Jing Nie wrote:

A: Not always.

Mostly agreed. For #2, officially there is NEVER a line space in between 2 paragraphs.

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:46
Chinese to English
+ ...
Chinese Publishing Guidelines Dec 31, 2007

Raffaella,

I found these publishing guidelines that seem pretty comprehensive. It's definitely more than I would ever want to know.

Hope you can find some of it useful. ...
See more
Raffaella,

I found these publishing guidelines that seem pretty comprehensive. It's definitely more than I would ever want to know.

Hope you can find some of it useful.

http://www.cnpcd.com/caseandexample/InDsignCase/caseandexample_924.html
Collapse

lbone
lbone  Identity Verified
China
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
my understanding Jan 1, 2008

Usually indented in standard articles, but often not indented in manuals/web pages/special materials. Most people I know actually do not use these spaces at all.

It is not a practice in Chinese. But it does not hurt to leave a line there. I often ke
... See more

Usually indented in standard articles, but often not indented in manuals/web pages/special materials. Most people I know actually do not use these spaces at all.

It is not a practice in Chinese. But it does not hurt to leave a line there. I often keep lines in my translations for PM to make the final decisions.

These guidelines were formed in the age without computer. In e-publishing, layout is mostly decided by artists (DTP experts).

These guidelines are fading off.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Chinese manual of style

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »