Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66] >
Off topic: 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing
Thread poster: Renquan Yang
chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
六四运动好像是和平运动吧? Apr 8, 2008

六四运动好像是和平运动吧?结局呢?是谁的耻辱?

法兰西共和国不会做出那种耻辱的事!

Jason Ma wrote:

Shame on these PEACEFUL protestors and, no politics please.

[Edited at 2008-04-08 15:28]

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:31
Chinese to English
+ ...
Gearing up for tomorrow's torch ceremony Apr 8, 2008

Let's hope everything goes smoothly as planned.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080408/ap_on_sp_ol/olympic_torch

San Francisco officials said they were developing a plan that strikes a balance between protesters' rights to express their views and the city's ability to host a safe torch ceremony.

U.S. Olympic Committee Chairman Peter Ueberroth said in a statement the event was "an important moment for the city to show its character, hospitality and commitment to peace and tolerance."

"It must provide a proper forum for the peaceful expression of opinions and dissent. And it must safely and respectfully welcome the flame and honor the U.S. athletes and other participants who will carry the torch," Ueberroth said.

Mayor Gavin Newsom and the police department said they reserved the right to adjust the flame's route, slated to run along San Francisco Bay, if necessary, but a spokesman dismissed rumors the relay would be canceled. The air space above the city will be restricted during the relay, a federal aviation spokesman said.

San Francisco was chosen to host the relay in part because of its large Asian population.

David Lee, executive director of the Chinese American Voters Education Committee and a professor of political science at San Francisco State University, said while many Chinese agree with critics of China, on the whole, Chinese-Americans feel a tremendous sense of pride that the Beijing Olympics chose San Francisco as the only relay site in North America.

[Edited at 2008-04-08 23:26]

isahuang
isahuang
Local time: 16:31
English to Chinese
+ ...
let's see Apr 8, 2008

wherestip wrote:

Let's hope everything goes smoothly as planned.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080408/ap_on_sp_ol/olympic_torch

Steve,

If the protesters do as what Lhadon Tethong said, you probably won't have to eat your words.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/09/world/09torch.html?hp

Lhadon Tethong, executive director of Students for a Free Tibet, said her group was planning peaceful protests in San Francisco but had no “plans to do anything like take the torch from the torchbearer’s hands.”

isahuang
isahuang
Local time: 16:31
English to Chinese
+ ...
What is shameful? Apr 8, 2008

Jason Ma wrote:

Shame on these PEACEFUL protestors and, no politics please.

[Edited at 2008-04-08 15:28]

Peaceful demonstration is nothing to be shamed about. But try to grab the torch from a disabled athlete torchbearer is shameful. Its the wrong platform to voice one's political views.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUl-53GZD90

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Violent demonstration is against Olympic spirit and democracy Apr 9, 2008

wherestip wrote:

That's exactly what I mean. To let a peaceful demonstration get out of hand and turn violent is not respecting others with different opinions.

wherestip wrote:

Anyway, who knows how the relay in the United States is going to turn out? It could be the same as in London. But one thing for sure, is the police won't let it turn into a nightmare, regardless of any desire or efforts by any groups to the contrary.

Steve,

I agree with you. If any peaceful demonstration turns violent in tomorrow’s relay in San Francisco, I am sure the SFO police will do their best to put it under control as what police did or would do in any other democratic countries in the world, including using necessary force.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Definitely agree! Apr 9, 2008

isahuang wrote:

Peaceful demonstration is nothing to be shamed about. But try to grab the torch from a disabled athlete torchbearer is shameful. Its the wrong platform to voice one's political views.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUl-53GZD90

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:31
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
No politics Apr 9, 2008

Hey, people

If you want to talk about the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, I think it is a good topic, but if you want to carry the discussion as you have carried out so far, I will have to lock it up.

Kevin

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 04:31
English to Chinese
+ ...
Questions Apr 9, 2008

Kevin Yang wrote:

Hey, people

If you want to talk about the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, I think it is a good topic, but if you want to carry the discussion as you have carried out so far, I will have to lock it up.

Kevin

Kevin,

The "2008 Olympic Games in Beijing" makes a nice topic, indeed. Our problem lies in the initial posting. Let me translate it into English as follows and let the colleagues pick on my translation to see where the problem is.

It seems that we need to learn several languages of "democratic" countries in Europe from now on, so that we can at least understand what happened in Paris on the 7th of April during the Olympic Torch Relay. It seems to stand somewhere in the Holy Bible about "Eyes for eyes, teeth for teeth." But if we are not fluent in the languages, how can we make use of our begotten "Power to exercise Democracy and Liberty"?

今后看来要好好学习欧洲几个“民主”国家的语言,这样起码下次再遇到4月7日在法国巴黎传递奥运火炬时候发生的事情,不会再因为语言问题而干瞪眼。圣经里好象就有这么一条“以牙还牙,以眼还眼”。但是如果语言不通,如何发挥自己的“民主自由权力”?

My questions would be as following:

1. What does the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing have to do with the Holy Bible?

2. What does it mean by "we need to learn several languages of 'democratic' countries in Europe (学习欧洲几个“民主”国家的语言)"?

3. What does it mean by "make use of our begotten 'Power to exercise Democracy and Liberty' (发挥自己的“民主自由权力”"?

Now, Kevin, would you allow peers help me in correcting my translation and in locating where the problem is (zu erörtern, wo die Hase im Pfeffer steckt)?

- Wenjer

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:31
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Which part of the "No" that you do not understand? Apr 9, 2008

Wenjer Leuschel,

This forum forbids to discuss politics. This "No" applies to everyone. No one should try to cross the line.

As a moderator, I also want to keep the balance in each discussion and make sure to allow all voices to be heard. If anyone posts large number of messages to argue and drowning others, my moderation will be called to secure the relative balance here.

Kevin

Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
That is right. Apr 9, 2008

Black women in the US did not have the right to vote until 1963.

Bin Tiede wrote:

wherestip wrote:
Let's see how peaceful demonstrations are done - if any at all - in a nation with a tradition for democracy spanning more than 200 years.

Only for the white males!

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
My suggestion Apr 9, 2008

If anyone has any complaints, he should submit a support request ticket through the right channel. I’d like to quote what Henry said in a similar situation last year as below. I think what Henry said still applies to the current situation.
Henry wrote:

This may be a matter best worked out in consultation with moderators

Hi Wenjer,

I am not abreast of the situation alluded to in your post, however, it appears on the surface that this may be the type of issue that is best addressed in consultation directly with moderators and parties involved, not in an open discussion format featured on ProZ.com's home page. Therefore I am locking this thread, and removing it from the home page, until such time as our moderators can review the situation.

Thanks for using the site.

Regards,
Henry

http://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/76174.-the_taste_of_power:_concerning_the_locked_thread-.html

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
Addendum Apr 9, 2008

Kevin Yang,

Do you remember this case http://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/23976-�����ʼ��Ƿ��������⣿.html?start=4 ? Note the second and the third points:

(2) Do you agree that all members should be treated with respect...

(3) Do you understand that moderators can not create their own policies?

As Angus Wu wrote somewhere in this forum, "欲加之罪何患无辞 (You find always rhetorics to accuse someone.)" happens only when there is a power unbalance. You have the power to hide away whatever I write to defend myself and you believe people don't see it, just like the Tibetans cannot make them heard because of media locking.

Now, you accuse me of posting too many messages. My question on this would be: Are my messages political? Most postings of mine are about how to or how not to become a translator. These messages are widely appreciated. Maybe that is why some people have been attacking me and you let them do it just like letting this thread standing here for attacking people who defend human rights?

It is time that you cut off with your own agenda/policies!

- Wenjer

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
Good suggestion Apr 9, 2008

It is ongoing since a while. This thread is the last evidence of the improper management of the Chinese forum discussions. A clique has been prevailing here and intimidating others to utter their opinions freely.

It wasn't my purpose at all to remove Jianjun Zhang from the post of a moderator or to have him away from our community. What I was asking was only full right of a member while the others had their own agenda/purpose/policy.

I am sorry to have been not able to
... See more
It is ongoing since a while. This thread is the last evidence of the improper management of the Chinese forum discussions. A clique has been prevailing here and intimidating others to utter their opinions freely.

It wasn't my purpose at all to remove Jianjun Zhang from the post of a moderator or to have him away from our community. What I was asking was only full right of a member while the others had their own agenda/purpose/policy.

I am sorry to have been not able to make it clear to Jianjun Zhang. He was really treated unfair as I was.

Yueyin Sun wrote:

If anyone has any complaints, he should submit a support request ticket through the right channel. I’d like to quote what Henry said in a similar situation last year as below. I think what Henry said still applies to the current situation.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

2008 Olympic Games in Beijing

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »