Thread poster: L10N expert (X)
L10N expert (X)
L10N expert (X)
Brazil
Local time: 10:41
English
Jan 9, 2015

Hi,

I have over 200 .resx files in hands to translate and was wondering which tool would you suggest me to use? I know that Passolo is deemed to be the first option to go for when dealing with resource files, but I kinda find Passolo`s interface and QA functions rather limited comparing to Trados Studio 2014. Or maybe I am biased because I am very Studio-savvy and don't feel like learning more about Passolo. What is your opinion on the matter?

Thanks for sharing your t
... See more
Hi,

I have over 200 .resx files in hands to translate and was wondering which tool would you suggest me to use? I know that Passolo is deemed to be the first option to go for when dealing with resource files, but I kinda find Passolo`s interface and QA functions rather limited comparing to Trados Studio 2014. Or maybe I am biased because I am very Studio-savvy and don't feel like learning more about Passolo. What is your opinion on the matter?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 20:41
English to Thai
+ ...
I use Trados Jan 10, 2015

I use Trados for such big volume jobs.
When I have trouble with certain resx codings, I translate as text files in Trados without troubles.

Best regards,
Soonthon L.

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:41
English to French
+ ...
OmegaT has a ResX filter Jan 10, 2015

Valeriia wrote:

Passolo is limited compared to most CAT tools.

OmegaT has a ResX filter.

Didier

Ben Senior
Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Alchemy Catalyst Jan 10, 2015

I use Catalyst from Alchemy for translating lots of resx files, along with other types too. It is very similar to Studio and I don't think that you would have any trouble using it if you are adept in Studio. But I get all my resx files bundled together in a TTK file for Catalyst. They do a free Catalyst Lite version, perhaps you could check it out?... See more
I use Catalyst from Alchemy for translating lots of resx files, along with other types too. It is very similar to Studio and I don't think that you would have any trouble using it if you are adept in Studio. But I get all my resx files bundled together in a TTK file for Catalyst. They do a free Catalyst Lite version, perhaps you could check it out? Here's the link http://www.alchemysoftware.com/translite.html.

Ben
Collapse

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
DVX3... Jan 10, 2015

... is in my view the best tools for handling a large number of files. Import all 200 resx files into a project and immediately view, filter and sort them as if they were just one big file, while seamlessly switching to view one or more individual files open at the same time in other tabs. You can even have the "all files" view open alongside or underneath a view of one or more individual documents.

All other tools either only let you work on one file at a time or seem to involve cl
... See more
... is in my view the best tools for handling a large number of files. Import all 200 resx files into a project and immediately view, filter and sort them as if they were just one big file, while seamlessly switching to view one or more individual files open at the same time in other tabs. You can even have the "all files" view open alongside or underneath a view of one or more individual documents.

All other tools either only let you work on one file at a time or seem to involve clumsy "gluing together" of files or fairly laborious setting up of pseudo views which have to be closed before you can open any individual document.
Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Swordfish Jan 10, 2015

Hi,

You can use Swordfish to translate 200 ResX files in one go.

David Turner wrote:
All other tools either only let you work on one file at a time or seem to involve clumsy "gluing together" of files or fairly laborious setting up of pseudo views which have to be closed before you can open any individual document.

That's not the case with Swordfish. You convert all 200 ResX files to one XLIFF and translate just one large file. You can filter them if you want at translation time but there is no real need to do so.

Also, the generated XLIFF can be translated in any tool, including Studio.

Regards,
Rodolfo

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Many tools will do this... Jan 11, 2015

Rodolfo Raya wrote:

You can use Swordfish to translate 200 ResX files in one go.

David Turner wrote:

... you can use Studio too if you like, especially as you are already Studio-savvy. Create a Project, add all 200 files (there is a resx filter), and then just select the ones you wish to open together as a single file. Nothing particularly clumsy or difficult about that.

Regards

Paul

David Turner
French to English
+ ...
But having merged the files... Jan 11, 2015

you can use Studio too if you like, especially as you are already Studio-savvy. Create a Project, add all 200 files (there is a resx filter), and then just select the ones you wish to open together as a single file. Nothing particularly clumsy or difficult about that.

... can you still open and work on one or more individual files simultaneously in tabs? If so, I take it all back

Dave

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Can't resist chipping in here... Jan 11, 2015

David Turner wrote:

... can you still open and work on one or more individual files simultaneously in tabs? If so, I take it all back

No, you can't open the same file simultaneously in different tabs, but you can open the same file, from the same project, in two separate instances of Studio on the same machine.

In Studio, you can also select several files, not necessarily all of them, and open them in a single grid view. Can DVX3 do that? If so, I take it all back

David Turner
French to English
+ ...
So having merged the files in the project... Jan 11, 2015

No, you can't open the same file simultaneously in different tabs, but you can open the same file, from the same project, in two separate instances of Studio on the same machine.

... you can then open one or more of the separate, unmerged files from the same project in a separate instance at the same time?

In Studio, you can also select several files, not necessarily all of them, and open them in a single grid view. Can DVX3 do that?

It can, actually, if you enter an SQL statement:
FileID between 6 and 8
(to select just files 6 to 8 in the All files view)

You can, of course, open files 6, 7 and 8 separately at the same time.

But I agree, it is a bit clumsy and could/should no doubt be improved.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
File merging Jan 11, 2015

David Turner wrote:

So having merged the files in the project...
... you can then open one or more of the separate, unmerged files from the same project in a separate instance at the same time?

I don't think this is a common use case, but, yes, you can do it.

It can, actually, if you enter an SQL statement:
FileID between 6 and 8
(to select just files 6 to 8 in the All files view)

Sounds a bit clumsy, as you say, but I'm glad to hear it's possible.
(Goes off to eat hat.)

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Of course... Jan 11, 2015

David Turner wrote:

you can use Studio too if you like, especially as you are already Studio-savvy. Create a Project, add all 200 files (there is a resx filter), and then just select the ones you wish to open together as a single file. Nothing particularly clumsy or difficult about that.

Dave

... because this is just a virtual merge at the time of opening. When you close that view they are all separate files again, so if you want you could open them all in separate tabs and work on them.

There is still the old way of working, which is what you are referring to, and if you merge the files into one when you create the project then you lose the flexibility because it becomes a single file, but I think most users don't do this anymore. Merging when appropriate and keeping the files single is simple... and no SQL required

Regards

Paul

David Turner
French to English
+ ...
That does rather confirm what I said at the start... Jan 12, 2015

... because this is just a virtual merge at the time of opening. When you close that view they are all separate files again, so if you want you could open them all in separate tabs and work on them.

... about "clumsy" approaches. I don't want to have to keep "opening" and "closing" virtual or pseudo views. I want to be able to switch seamlessly between an all files view (filtered, sorted or otherwise) "open" in one tab and one or more individual files "open" at the same time in other tabs. As far as I can see, you can only do this in DVX1/2/3, and you don't need SQL: it's the default behaviour.

As far as creating a view for a number of specific files is concerned, I don't really see this as much of an advantage or something I would want to do very often. If the files concerned are so different from the other ones in the project that you need to isolate them, you'd be better creating a new project for those specific files.

Regards

Dave

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I'm not sure I get it... Jan 12, 2015

... to be honest David. What is the value in being able to have all the files open in one view and then single files open in different tabs in other views? In Studio if you open them all in one view there is a navigation pane on the left which allows you to navigate by file so you can still get to individual files if you like.

I suppose you have the option in DVX to then filter different individual files in different ways on their own and for some content this might be useful. Is
... See more
... to be honest David. What is the value in being able to have all the files open in one view and then single files open in different tabs in other views? In Studio if you open them all in one view there is a navigation pane on the left which allows you to navigate by file so you can still get to individual files if you like.

I suppose you have the option in DVX to then filter different individual files in different ways on their own and for some content this might be useful. Is this what you see as the advantage?

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Not virtual Jan 12, 2015

[quote]David Turner wrote:

I don't want to have to keep "opening" and "closing" virtual or pseudo views. I want to be able to switch seamlessly between an all files view (filtered, sorted or otherwise) "open" in one tab and one or more individual files "open" at the same time

In the case of Swordfish you don't deal with "virtual" views. You have just one XLIFF file and you can seamlessly switch between seeing segments from all files or filter segments to show only from those files you care.

No SQL is involved when filtering files. Just click the Files tab and you will see a list of files with a check box next to each one. Select all or just the ones you want to see. As simple as that.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which tool to use for translation of 200 resx files

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »