Can CafeTran filter segments that are highlighted in Word?
Thread poster: BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:55
English to French
+ ...
Apr 2, 2020

Hello, Baristas!

(Note: the same question was posted but in different, non CafeTran-specific, terms in the General Tech forum).

One client sends me Word files with only some of the text requiring translation. Text to translate is highlighted in blue, everything else must be left untouched.

The source is a mix of [placeholders in brackets], wordings in the source language not requiring translation and about 40% of actual text to translate.... See more
Hello, Baristas!

(Note: the same question was posted but in different, non CafeTran-specific, terms in the General Tech forum).

One client sends me Word files with only some of the text requiring translation. Text to translate is highlighted in blue, everything else must be left untouched.

The source is a mix of [placeholders in brackets], wordings in the source language not requiring translation and about 40% of actual text to translate.

Is there a way CafeTran could isolate the text that is colour-highlighted in Word and identify it as being the source? The idea is to avoid having to crosscheck visually from the source Word if a segment needs translating or not, as it is really bitty.

Else, if you know a trick to extract highlighted text from Word file (in order to process it in CafeTran) and then reinstate it in the original layout, that would also be brilliant.

I work on a Mac, I tried to copy the Word text into Excel to sort each sentence, but while Excel distinguishes the font colour easily, the highlights were not copied across during the copy and paste so no joy.

Thanks for your help.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Replacement Apr 2, 2020

First hide all text and search for:

Replace with 'not hidden':

Dan Lucas
Samuel Murray

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:55
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
FWIW, the other post Apr 2, 2020

BabelOn-line wrote:

FWIW, it's here:
https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/342659.html

[Edited at 2020-04-02 12:42 GMT]

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:55
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Big up to Hans and Samuel Apr 2, 2020

Had to fumble a bit as i am not familiar with the special search and replace in Word for Mac, but this very much looks like a great solution.

Thanks ever so much, not only you solved my problem as a one-off, but I can now use and enrich my own TMs for this specific client.

Thumbs up!

Hans Lenting

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can CafeTran filter segments that are highlighted in Word?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »