BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:05
English to French
+ ...
Aug 29, 2019

Hello Prozians,

I have used CafeTran a number of times but usually for standalone, long and repetitive documents (usually in Word or Excel).

This time, I have a large-ish batch of Powerpoint and Excel files, the client also supplied me with the corresponding xliff files - extracted with MemoQ i believe. My teammate will be working on half the batch using Trados 2017. so this is all new to me.

1/ I need to return the translated xliff to the client but want
... See more
Hello Prozians,

I have used CafeTran a number of times but usually for standalone, long and repetitive documents (usually in Word or Excel).

This time, I have a large-ish batch of Powerpoint and Excel files, the client also supplied me with the corresponding xliff files - extracted with MemoQ i believe. My teammate will be working on half the batch using Trados 2017. so this is all new to me.

1/ I need to return the translated xliff to the client but want to make sure these my files will reimport well from xliff to Excel or Powwerpoint. Is there a simple way to check my translated xliff are OK and correctly formatted (else than sending a test one to the client to double check they are happy on their end)?

2/ I never created a real "Project" in CafeTran. Can I simply drop a batch of xliff files in CafeTran and name it "a project"? Is there a "need to know" technique for working on a project made several of xliff files?

I would really appreciate your time and help as – you guess it – this job is fairly urgent and I can ill-afford the whole CafeTran learning curve right now.

Kind regards
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Knowledge base articles Aug 29, 2019

Project File Formats Created in Other Tools - https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000166523-project-file-formats-created-in-other-tools

Proje
... See more
Project File Formats Created in Other Tools - https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000166523-project-file-formats-created-in-other-tools

Project with Multiple Documents - https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000112837-project-with-multiple-documents
Collapse

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Jean Aug 29, 2019

Thanks for your prompt reply.

1/ So, working from xliff is not that difficult after all. I have done a small test with a very short xliff file and sent it to my client - so they can check they are happy with the result and the xliff recreates the final PPT correctly.

Apparently, CafeTran worked out this was a MemoQ-produced xliff as the final xliff saved was xyz_fre_mqxliff

2/ Working with batches: sadly, the link you kindly supplied is broken. Will reve
... See more
Thanks for your prompt reply.

1/ So, working from xliff is not that difficult after all. I have done a small test with a very short xliff file and sent it to my client - so they can check they are happy with the result and the xliff recreates the final PPT correctly.

Apparently, CafeTran worked out this was a MemoQ-produced xliff as the final xliff saved was xyz_fre_mqxliff

2/ Working with batches: sadly, the link you kindly supplied is broken. Will revert to CafeTRan now to try and work it out.

Thanks again for your help, Jean.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Batches: folders Aug 29, 2019

BabelOn-line wrote:

2/ Working with batches: sadly, the link you kindly supplied is broken. Will revert to CafeTRan now to try and work it out.

Just place all mqxliff files in one folder and open it from the dashboard. You’ll have to select the mode for multiple files (via the green button with the white lines).

Screenshot 2019-08-30 at 08.06.58

[Edited at 2019-08-30 06:10 GMT]

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Hans Aug 30, 2019

Just done that, thanks. It works fine.

We did a test file to check client was happy with our translated xliff.

Only issue is that some segments that were actually translated, showing correctly on CafeTran and indicated as confirmed in the xliff test file – but these were not visible on the client MemoQ environment?

Is this a known issue? Anything I did not do correctly?

Thanks for your help

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Never had that Aug 30, 2019

BabelOn-line wrote:

Is this a known issue?

Never had that. And I've translated hundreds of thousands of words in MQXLIFF files ...

Further investigation will be necessary, I'm afraid.

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Surprised too Aug 30, 2019

I will ask my colleague to check if she has the same issue (segments apparently missing) on Trados.

Is there a specific command on CafeTran your need to perform when you are finishing an xliff file/project to ensure all the last changes were taken on board? I just ask because i am a very green user and may have missed something important to do when "wrapping up" a project/file.

Again, thank you.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Finalize button Aug 30, 2019

BabelOn-line wrote:

Is there a specific command on CafeTran your need to perform when you are finishing an xliff file/project to ensure all the last changes were taken on board?

Just click the Finalize button.

Screenshot 2019-08-30 at 11.31.14

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Obvs! Aug 30, 2019

Sounds obvious now but I may well have missed this. Thanks, Hans.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Setting up an xliff project for a newbie

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »