Claire Ziamandanis
Claire Ziamandanis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:49
Member (2016)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 9, 2016

I have a job that is expecting me to use InDesign. I see that CafeTran WILL import the InDesign file, but I am very worried that I will end up having issues fitting text appropriately. I am also new to InDesign, but pretty good with technology in general. I think I can move around in it in basic manners.

This could become a regular client for me, so I don't want to accept the job, do the work, and then find I am unable to produce a finished product.

Advice?

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Charge a DTP fee per page Apr 10, 2016

It could be anywhere between $10 to $20.

If the agency wanted you to use your regular translation fee to cover both your translation and your DTP work, they were trying to exploit you.

Yakov Katsman
Yakov Katsman  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2016)
English to Russian
IDML files translation Apr 10, 2016

I usually receive IDML files (for InDesign program), translate them in WFA and return to client as IDML - they do some fine DTP in InDesign. You can preview translated document as PDF. If you do not have InDesign you can not edit translate document.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 16:49
Do a pseudo-translation Apr 10, 2016

Claire Ziamandanis

This could become a regular client for me, so I don't want to accept the job, do the work, and then find I am unable to produce a finished product.

Advice?

In InDesign create an IDML file. Import it in CafeTran. Task > Sources to Targets. Find 'e' replace with 'xm', 'o' with 'ym' (and maybe some more replacements, where the replacement string should be longer, to create a longer target text).

Export the IDML. Open it in ID. Check the result. Sometimes it is allowed to change the fonts to their narrow (condensed) equivalents.

See also: Pseudo-translate IDML files to check the text flow in the target file

[Edited at 2016-04-10 06:43 GMT]

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Delivering in InDesign Apr 10, 2016

If you need to deliver in InDesign itself, you can. You can subscribe to InDesign on a monthly basis in the Adobe cloud. This is not very expensive. However, fonts are the issue. It all depends on the fonts used in the orginal format. You may have to buy them separately and they can be expensive.

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Hm Apr 10, 2016

Anybody can learn anything, but an Indesign novice cannot reliably deliver a print-ready file (unless the document is very simple indeed). I have written elsewhere about everything that can go wrong.

A poster said:

Sometimes it is allowed to change the fonts to their narrow (condensed) equivalents.

As a professional designer, the thought of copy-fitting by automated replacement of fonts with condensed variants fills me with
... See more
Anybody can learn anything, but an Indesign novice cannot reliably deliver a print-ready file (unless the document is very simple indeed). I have written elsewhere about everything that can go wrong.

A poster said:

Sometimes it is allowed to change the fonts to their narrow (condensed) equivalents.

As a professional designer, the thought of copy-fitting by automated replacement of fonts with condensed variants fills me with horror. Perhaps in something like parts catalogs this might be permissible, but in general: Absolutely not.

For Indesign novices: Every hyphenation, line break, text box break, style change, color change, anchored text object placement, page link, headline kerning etc. etc. must be checked visually in Indesign before delivery. It's not rocket science, but it's not a cakewalk either.

[Bearbeitet am 2016-04-10 19:02 GMT]
Collapse

Claire Ziamandanis
Claire Ziamandanis  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2016)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Joakim, what you say is really my biggest worry. Apr 10, 2016

Joakim Braun wrote:

Anybody can learn anything, but an Indesign novice cannot reliably deliver a print-ready file (unless the document is very simple indeed).

I risk an even worse situation if I take the job, take the time to complete it, and then deliver a sub-par product. I will speak with the client tomorrow, and ultimately the decision is theirs.

As a follow up, Joakim, is InDesign experience something I should pick up in the future? Do you think it is worth the time investment? I suppose it allows one to charge a bit more, based on the additional experience, but I'm not sure how much true need there might be.

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
yes Apr 10, 2016

Claire Ziamandanis wrote:

is InDesign experience something I should pick up in the future? Do you think it is worth the time investment?

Absolutely, although it helps if you get a kick out of learning complicated software.
You also need to use Indesign with some regularity to become good at it.

Indesign itself is a pleasure to use, a rock solid, 100% reliable product. (No mystery crashes or "object reference not set to instance of an object" messages there!)

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Totally focused on manuals Apr 11, 2016

Thanks for your response, Joakim. I'm totally focused on manuals in my work. Hence my advice .

About the error message that you mention, don't forget this one, which is cu
... See more
Thanks for your response, Joakim. I'm totally focused on manuals in my work. Hence my advice .

About the error message that you mention, don't forget this one, which is currently my favourite one:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/300539-general_massive_catastrophic_system_failure_related_to_termbase.html

I've requested for CafeTran to have such impressive error messages too, but changes are small, since the app is designed as one, totally integrated piece of software and is not tied together from several snippets of code that don't interact well.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:49
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Kilgray's Language Terminal also offers free InDesign file processing/conversion Apr 11, 2016

Hi Claire,

You could also play around with the free Language Terminal offered by Kilgray:

languageterminal.com -> https://app.languageterminal.com/

"Convert InDesign files

Convert InDesign files into a translatable XLIFF format and get a PDF preview of the original and the translation – all without investing into InDesign.

InDesign INDD
... See more
Hi Claire,

You could also play around with the free Language Terminal offered by Kilgray:

languageterminal.com -> https://app.languageterminal.com/

"Convert InDesign files

Convert InDesign files into a translatable XLIFF format and get a PDF preview of the original and the translation – all without investing into InDesign.

InDesign INDD files from version CS5 and above will be converted back into CS7 format. Should you need the document in a format compatible with earlier InDesign versions, download the result of the conversion in a ZIP file, also containing the document in CS4 IDML format."

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4GrkPtowpI

MJWB
Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
You can open these MQLZ files with CafeTran Apr 11, 2016

It's important to note that you can open these MQLZ files with CafeTran too. Rename them to MQLZ.ZIP and unzip.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

InDesign - take the job or not?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »