From Transit to CafeTran: taking the fast lane
Thread poster: 2nl (X)
2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:46
Apr 29, 2015

I used to be a heavy user of Transit (from version 2.6 up to NXT) until my background termbase because so large that it repeatedly crashed. Then I discovered CafeTran, that doesn't need a termbase at all but instead allows you to start working with a (tab-delimited) plain text file as a glossary right away.

I've just watched a new vide
... See more
I used to be a heavy user of Transit (from version 2.6 up to NXT) until my background termbase because so large that it repeatedly crashed. Then I discovered CafeTran, that doesn't need a termbase at all but instead allows you to start working with a (tab-delimited) plain text file as a glossary right away.

I've just watched a new video on Transit (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XAP_xm3tyU&feature=youtu.be) and I was reminded of the many, many steps I had to make to start a new project, import a source file, import terminology, import a TM.

In CafeTran this is all so simple. Source files can be dragged and dropped to start a new project. Glossaries and TMX files can be opened right away (also by dragging).

I never regretted my migration from Transit to CafeTran . In fact: I've become more productive as a technical translator. CafeTran offers me predictive typing, auto-assembling etc.

BTW: It would be interesting to find out whether CafeTran can deal with the plural of the Finnish words in the video, by adding the stemming separator to the glossary entries.

[Edited at 2015-04-29 13:24 GMT]
Collapse

Meyers (X)
Meyers (X)
English to Dutch
Cafetrans promo? Apr 29, 2015

The FREE OmegaT also uses a plain text file as a glossary, already for years. Very easy to use.

And you probably already know the answer to your last question, because you are promoting Cafetrans every few days on this forum

I have downloaded the Trial of Cafetran. There are 1001 ways to customize the layout, but they are all messy and clum
... See more
The FREE OmegaT also uses a plain text file as a glossary, already for years. Very easy to use.

And you probably already know the answer to your last question, because you are promoting Cafetrans every few days on this forum

I have downloaded the Trial of Cafetran. There are 1001 ways to customize the layout, but they are all messy and clumsy.
No thanks. Sorry.
Collapse

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Please elaborate Apr 29, 2015

Meyers wrote:

I have downloaded the Trial of Cafetran. There are 1001 ways to customize the layout, but they are all messy and clumsy.
No thanks. Sorry.

Could you please explain?

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Very flexible GUI Apr 30, 2015

It would be interesting to read what you wanted to achieve with CafeTran's GUI. Perhaps we can help you?

[Edited at 2015-04-30 10:11 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

From Transit to CafeTran: taking the fast lane

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »