How do you... change surround characters?
Thread poster: mek0n
mek0n
mek0n  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:12
Member (2014)
German to English
Jan 5, 2015

So far I find CafeTran to be a really good product but very severely limited by the lack of documentation (yes, I've seen the Wiki but it's sadly incomplete). I cannot work out how to use a lot of the features or even find out whether certain things possible in other programs, such as key-based transfer of words from a glossary are possible. Anyway I won't be holding my breath.

So can anyone tell me how to change the surround characters? The default for S1 is French quotation marks,
... See more
So far I find CafeTran to be a really good product but very severely limited by the lack of documentation (yes, I've seen the Wiki but it's sadly incomplete). I cannot work out how to use a lot of the features or even find out whether certain things possible in other programs, such as key-based transfer of words from a glossary are possible. Anyway I won't be holding my breath.

So can anyone tell me how to change the surround characters? The default for S1 is French quotation marks, and for S2 is parentheses. I want to have single quotation marks for S1.

TIA

Ross

PS Running CT in Windows 7
Collapse

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:12
I want to help you – if you let me ;) Jan 5, 2015

mek0n wrote:

So far I find CafeTran to be a really good product but very severely limited by the lack of documentation (yes, I've seen the Wiki but it's sadly incomplete).

Dear Ross,

Tried to sent you a PM, but you've blocked that. You can contact me for a Skype or TeamViewer session, if you want a (free) demo or any help with your configuration.

So can anyone tell me how to change the surround characters? The default for S1 is French quotation marks, and for S2 is parentheses. I want to have single quotation marks for S1.

The wiki is far more complete than you suggest:

http://cafetran.wikidot.com/surrounding-words-selected-text-with-user-defined-characters

Hans

PS You might also want to contact Mr. Beyer at wordbook.nl, he lives in Hastings:

mek0n
mek0n  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:12
Member (2014)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks ... problem solved Jan 5, 2015

Strange but this time when I went to Edit - Options - General I did find how to change the surround characters. Sorry for wasting people's time here but I must have been blind the other times I looked.

You wrote: "Tried to sent you a PM, but you've blocked that."
Actually I haven't blocked anything. I had a PM sent to me from Proz and it came through immediately, so I don't know what went wrong in this case.

Secondly, I don't believe I said HOW incomplete the Wiki
... See more
Strange but this time when I went to Edit - Options - General I did find how to change the surround characters. Sorry for wasting people's time here but I must have been blind the other times I looked.

You wrote: "Tried to sent you a PM, but you've blocked that."
Actually I haven't blocked anything. I had a PM sent to me from Proz and it came through immediately, so I don't know what went wrong in this case.

Secondly, I don't believe I said HOW incomplete the Wiki documentation is, only that it was so for my purposes. Many times I look something up only to find a page with no content. I have always believed that the Wiki documentation is an unpaid labour of love, so I am not criticizing anyone. I really do appreciate the time you devote to CT. I do nevertheless feel that CafeTran needs a full manual.

Thanks again (and for the other suggestions)

Ross

[Bearbeitet am 2015-01-05 13:58 GMT]
Collapse

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:12
Use the Search box in the wiki Jan 5, 2015

Hello Ross,

I'm glad that you could solve it. And I didn't read your remark as criticism. The wiki is rather complete, but it needs a better, hierarchical structure. Hence my plan to migrate it to a Help & Manual solution. This will allow a well-structured, hierarchical solution and a PDF version of the Help. You can see an exam
... See more
Hello Ross,

I'm glad that you could solve it. And I didn't read your remark as criticism. The wiki is rather complete, but it needs a better, hierarchical structure. Hence my plan to migrate it to a Help & Manual solution. This will allow a well-structured, hierarchical solution and a PDF version of the Help. You can see an example here:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/help/

http://download.ec-software.com/helpman5_usermanual.zip (this is a PDF of the online Help)

May I suggest that you use the Search box in the wiki for all topics that you cannot find via the Quick help topics?

Happy exploring of CafeTran – a great tool, for great translators.

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2015-01-05 15:30 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you... change surround characters?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »