Cafetran error invalid XML car (Unicode : 0xb) detected in the content of elements in the document
Thread poster: Christine Alba
Christine Alba
Christine Alba
Local time: 15:13
Italian to French
+ ...
Apr 16, 2013

I'm trying to make friend with CafeTran, on a window 8 computer, french interface if that matters.

I have created a new project with "New TM" for terms + an existing TMX for segments (ansi as UTF-8) + A DOCX document created with MSWord 2012
I get, in french, a message that sys +- XML car (Unicode : 0xb) detected in the content of elements in the document

I then have
° 2 "saving projetTM.tmx" progress bar showing an activity that is not completed
° a
... See more
I'm trying to make friend with CafeTran, on a window 8 computer, french interface if that matters.

I have created a new project with "New TM" for terms + an existing TMX for segments (ansi as UTF-8) + A DOCX document created with MSWord 2012
I get, in french, a message that sys +- XML car (Unicode : 0xb) detected in the content of elements in the document

I then have
° 2 "saving projetTM.tmx" progress bar showing an activity that is not completed
° an "error saving memory!" message when I press the save icon
° I don't get the matches existing in memory

Can somebody help me ?

Also, I haven't been able to find a proper user manual for the software. Do you know where I can find it ? I have seen the wiki, but I don't find it very useful at this stage.

I'd love to be able to try this very promissing software an I hope somedy can help me solve this first problem.

Greetings
Christine
Collapse

trhanslator (X)
trhanslator (X)
First steps Apr 16, 2013

Hello Christine,

Christine Alba wrote:

Is this really your Word version? I know Word 2003, 2007, 2010 and 2013 for Windows and Word:mac 2011 (for Mac). I do not now a Word 2012 version.

Let's take one step at a time. Please create a new project. Do not create or assign any TM or glossary. Here is how it's done:

http://cafetran.wikidot.com/translating-the-sample-document

Follow the instructions carefully.

Skip this step for now:

* Check the 'New Memory' box to create a Translation Memory for the Project.

Proceed until:

* Press OK to create the Project and move on to the main translation window.

Stop here. Please report back whether you get the message about an invalid XML character.

Good luck!

Hans

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:13
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Invalid XML character in TMX memory Apr 16, 2013

Hi Christine,

The most probable culprit is the existing TMX memory which was created in another tool and contains some invalid XML characters. The solution is to remove those characters in an XML editor or you may send this TMX (zipped) to the CafeTran support: [email protected]. I may be able to check this TMX file for you.

Cheerio,
Igor

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 20:13
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TMXValidator Apr 16, 2013

Igor Kmitowski wrote:
The solution is to remove those characters in an XML editor

Now Igor is busy writing code, so it's a good idea to try and find those nasty characters yourself, especially since it's a rather common phenomenon with existing TMs. Some CAT tools (…) do not stick to the open standard that is TMX, so please download the free (beer) tool TMXValidator:

http://www.maxprograms.com/products/tmxvalidator.html

Apart from checking, it can also do some cleaning. And while you're at it:

http://www.maxprograms.com/products/xliffchecker.html

Cheers,

Hans (the original one)

[Edited at 2013-04-16 23:10 GMT]

trhanslator (X)
trhanslator (X)
XML validation Apr 17, 2013

Hi Igor and Hans,

I think you're right assuming that the invalid XML character isn't present in the Word document itself but in a legacy TMX file.

In order to prevent this kind of problems – though not caused by CafeTran – it would be good if CafeTran would offer a solution for TMs that don't stick to the TMX standard. After all, using a third-party tool to verify a TM isn't 'CafeTran Style'.

I see at least two possibilities, one 'Apple Style' and one f
... See more
Hi Igor and Hans,

I think you're right assuming that the invalid XML character isn't present in the Word document itself but in a legacy TMX file.

In order to prevent this kind of problems – though not caused by CafeTran – it would be good if CafeTran would offer a solution for TMs that don't stick to the TMX standard. After all, using a third-party tool to verify a TM isn't 'CafeTran Style'.

I see at least two possibilities, one 'Apple Style' and one for techies:

1. Simply skip the TUs containing invalid characters (like Trados Workbench does), report the number of skipped TUs afterwards.

2. Report the line number of the invalid character and possibly the character itself too, so that tech-savvy CafeTran users can edit the TMX file in an Unicode editor.

Cheers,

Hans
Collapse

trhanslator (X)
trhanslator (X)
Awaiting feedback Apr 19, 2013

Hi Christine,

Did you manage to solve your problems in the meantime? A little feedback would be highly appreciated.

Cheers,

Hans

trhanslator (X)
trhanslator (X)
Can we help you? Apr 24, 2013

Hi Christine,

Just wanted to follow up your posting.

Can we CafeTran users help you in any way?

Cheers,

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cafetran error invalid XML car (Unicode : 0xb) detected in the content of elements in the document

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »