Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Sep 30, 2012

Hi Michael,

Glad you've found me. Can I offer you a drink?

Let me try to answer at least some of your questions. Perhaps other users and/or Igor can jump in to answer the questions I cannot answer myself.

• One thing about the UI that is puzzling, for example, is that I can't seem to figure out how to quickly skip around through segments in CT. In memoQ you just click on a src or trgt segment and you are in it. How do you do this in CT?

Perhaps you'll have to disable some Jump settings (Skip perfect matches) temporarily? Please try.

• The segment numbers in CT are strangeley placed. It's hard to tell if they refer to the segment above or below.

With all due respect: I find this one a little far-fetched. After a short time you'll remember that segment numbers are always placed above a segment. Personally I find this a good position: Placing them in front of the segment pairs in the 'grid' would take away horizontal space. On small screens (13") that would make the segments too narrow.

• memoQ, I think the TM, TB, and MT hits (all in the Translation results window) are better integrated.

I'm not sure whether I understand you correctly. Do you mean that in MQ all hits are displayed in one window? That is possible in CafeTran too: You can join all items of the tabbed pane. Currently it is not possible to make this setting sticky (saved between sessions).

• In memoQ, clicking on 'Project home' brings you to a very nice overview of translations, LiveDocs, TMs, TBs, and settings. There seems to be no equivalent in CT.

I take it that in CafeTran the Project Manager would be the equivalent? And yes, it can have some improvements. Why not draw some and send your suggestions to Igor. I'm sure he'll have a very good look at them.

• I love the simplicity of the open (or closed) tabs for documents you are translating in memoQ.

Not sure if I understand this one either. Do you mean this one?

If so: I personally don't like this, since it takes up too much space (2 or 3 whole lines) on my 13" screen. I'd like to be able to turn it off.

In CafeTran you can have the name(s) of the document(s) you're working on displayed in the tabbed pane, below the grid. You can join these documents, place them elsewhere.

• Hits are highlighted in memoQ. CT doesn't seem to have this.

Can you please give a screenshot?

• In memoQ's you can quickly filter on phrases in both the source and target column, not to mention on pretty much anything else you can think of (commented segment, match rate, proofread, auto-joined.split, not started, pre-translated, etc).

There is a powerful filter in CafeTran too. It is automatically used in many (if not all) QA, checks. You can activate it via the Find and Replace dialog and even via the button bar above the Source segment.

As to the filter categories, I'm not sure whether they are supported in CafeTran ...

Thanks again for joining us here!

Cheers,

Hans

[Bearbeitet am 2012-09-30 06:20 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Some answers to questions in the CAT Tools forum

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »