Need to install OpenOffice for running the Spell Checker?
Thread poster: MikeTrans
MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 11:54
Italian to German
+ ...
Jun 17, 2012

Hi,

I don't have OpenOffice installed as I'm using Office 2003, but I have the OO spell checker files separately.

Is it possible to get them run in CT anyway, for example like explained in the help, by putting them in a dedicated directory and then do the "Connection to OpenOffice (LibreOffice) suite" ?

Thanks very much for any suggestions!
Greets,
Mike

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
OpenOffice spell checker Jun 17, 2012

Hello,

Currently, you need to install OpenOffice or LibreOffice to use its spell checker in CafeTran. This summer I am going to implement this spell checker (Hunspell) to use it without the Open/LibreOffice suite.

Igor

MikeTrans wrote:

Hi,

I don't have OpenOffice installed as I'm using Office 2003, but I have the OO spell checker files separately.

Is it possible to get them run in CT anyway, for example like explained in the help, by putting them in a dedicated directory and then do the "Connection to OpenOffice (LibreOffice) suite" ?

Thanks very much for any suggestions!
Greets,
Mike

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Jun 18, 2012

Hello Igor,

I'm highly enjoying CafeTran Expresso. I'm raising 2 thumbs up for the many useful features.
Downloading OpenOffice is not the baddest thing to do, at least I will get to know another Office system.

Unfortunately, I'm just having another issue (see latest post).

Greets,
Mike

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
OO spell checker limitations Jun 18, 2012

MikeTrans wrote:

Downloading OpenOffice is not the baddest thing to do, at least I will get to know another Office system.

Hi Mike,

Lately I have been running some tests with the OO spell checker – that is: with the maximum number of words added to the user dictionary. For this I extracted all unknown words from my Background Glossary (650,000 records). I noticed that OO became unstable, even when I divided the unknown words dictionary in several chunks, each with less than 64,000 lines. So I'm eagerly awaiting the stand-alone Hunspell solution.

Hans

[Bearbeitet am 2012-06-18 19:10 GMT]

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Hans Lenting Jun 18, 2012

Hi Hans,

first thank you for your extensive infos on your Blog page!

The spell checker is not an issue for me, as I'm able to export the TMX content to be spell-checked and afterwards to re-import the content as a TMX file in the project. Doesn't take too long.
I use these tools for the purpose:

Olifant, TMX manager
XBench 2.9, concordancer with excellent QA and spell checkers as for the latest version.

Both programs are free.
... See more
Hi Hans,

The spell checker is not an issue for me, as I'm able to export the TMX content to be spell-checked and afterwards to re-import the content as a TMX file in the project. Doesn't take too long.
I use these tools for the purpose:

Olifant, TMX manager
XBench 2.9, concordancer with excellent QA and spell checkers as for the latest version.

Both programs are free.

I've just seen your post about large TMs. Please also read here as I give some reasons for using such "giants":

http://www.proz.com/forum/cafetran_support/227245-ct_doesnt_start_anymore_after_changing_javas_ram_size.html

I think I have some serious issues with my Java versions installed on my 64 bit Windows system.
I don't think anymore that CafeTran cannot handle large TMs, it has to do with some of my system quirks.

Greets,
Mike

[Edited at 2012-06-18 22:29 GMT]
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 17:54
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Hans1 and HansL Jun 18, 2012

MikeTrans wrote:
Hi Hans,

"Hans" is a common first name in Holland, Mike. The guy who answered you on this forum is the Hans also responsible for the CafeTran KB. That Hans is usually referred to as HansL.

I usually don't respond on ProZ (I cancelled my ProZ subscription, and now use my daughter's subscription), but I am the one who writes the blog.

Confused? Watch the next episode of Soap.

Cheers,

Hans

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry for the confusion! Jun 19, 2012

Meta,

glad to hear from you, I find your infos on your blog very helpful.

Greets,
Mike

trhanslator (X)
trhanslator (X)
Built-in spell-checker available [solved] Dec 28, 2012

You can use the built-in spell-checker now. It is Hunspell. In the Hobbit version CafeTran ignores words containing numbers.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need to install OpenOffice for running the Spell Checker?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »