Thread poster: Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 03:28
English to Turkish
+ ...
Jan 16, 2012

Learning a new CAT tool is always a challenge. I could not find a shortcut to hide/display invisible characters (space, nonbreaking space, tab, paragraph mark, etc.), asked it at http://groups.google.com/group/cafetranslators and a colleague suggested me to use a modified font, e.g. Calibri MQ2 or Veronika Sans DV.

I was just planning to test it when I noticed the paragraph mar
... See more
Learning a new CAT tool is always a challenge. I could not find a shortcut to hide/display invisible characters (space, nonbreaking space, tab, paragraph mark, etc.), asked it at http://groups.google.com/group/cafetranslators and a colleague suggested me to use a modified font, e.g. Calibri MQ2 or Veronika Sans DV.

I was just planning to test it when I noticed the paragraph mark
Well, not my fault, I always prefer shortcuts and looked at the View and Edit menus to find a shortcut.

Spaces are displayed with dots (just like in MS Word), but the squares used for displaying the nonbreaking spaces make it difficult to read the source segments.

As for the exclamation marks next to 17|0, I think they display the number of characters in the source and target segments. I don't know why but they are not updated in some segments, maybe a cache problem.

Selcuk
Collapse

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:28
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
display of invisible characters in CafeTran Jan 16, 2012

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Spaces are displayed with dots (just like in MS Word), but the squares used for displaying the nonbreaking spaces make it difficult to read the source segments.

Selcuk

Try changing the font for display of the current segment window to show nonbreaking space correctly. I tested it with Verdana, Lucida, Arial, Segoe UI but I think all Unicode fonts will be fine too (see menu Edit | Font | Current segment)

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

As for the exclamation marks next to 17|0, I think they display the number of characters in the source and target segments. I don't know why but they are not updated in some segments, maybe a cache problem.

Selcuk

If a target segment is empty, they are updated right after you set the cursor in the target segment window.

Igor

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
perhaps a problem with my settings or OS Jan 16, 2012

Igor Kmitowski wrote:

Try changing the font for display of the current segment window to show nonbreaking space correctly. I tested it with Verdana, Lucida, Arial, Segoe UI but I think all Unicode fonts will be fine too (see menu Edit | Font | Current segment)

Hi Igor,

I tried your solution but I still see those squares. I can think of two reasons:
- I use Windows XP, not MAC.
- Some years ago, I used a program called WGL Assistant to make changes in my fonts (requested by a client for a FrameMaker project). So I may have problems with my fonts.

If a target segment is empty, they are updated right after you set the cursor in the target segment window.

Thanks, it works as you have described.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:28
Finnish to French
No problem with non-breaking spaces in Win7 Jan 16, 2012

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
I tried your solution but I still see those squares. I can think of two reasons:

Here is what non-breaking spaces look like over here (Win7 Pro):

Just in case the image link doesn't work: http://screencast.com/t/BmWu0YbaWb

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Dominique Pivard Jan 16, 2012

It looks like the same font I used previously when I posted my first message (don't remember which font it was). Can you please write its name.

Selcuk

------------------

Perhaps somebody using Windows XP can check it for me.

I wonder if the Java version makes any difference or not.

Anyway, not the most important issue at the moment. I have some questions on the use of Dictionary and Glossary in CT, I will start a new thread for it.
... See more
It looks like the same font I used previously when I posted my first message (don't remember which font it was). Can you please write its name.

Selcuk

------------------

Perhaps somebody using Windows XP can check it for me.

I wonder if the Java version makes any difference or not.

Anyway, not the most important issue at the moment. I have some questions on the use of Dictionary and Glossary in CT, I will start a new thread for it.

[Edited at 2012-01-16 23:18 GMT]
Collapse

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:28
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Unicode fonts on Windows XP Jan 16, 2012

On Windows XP there are some fonts that have "Unicode" in its name such as Arial Unicode or Lucida Unicode. Try using them.

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Igor Kmitowski wrote:

Hi Igor,

- Some years ago, I used a program called WGL Assistant to make changes in my fonts (requested by a client for a FrameMaker project). So I may have problems with my fonts.

Thanks, it works as you have described.

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It doesn't work Jan 16, 2012

Igor Kmitowski wrote:

On Windows XP there are some fonts that have "Unicode" in its name such as Arial Unicode or Lucida Unicode. Try using them.

I tested all available fonts. And even reinstalled some of them. So it is either a Win XP problem or a problem with my fonts caused by WGL Assistant.

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I still see squares Nov 23, 2012

Non-breaking spaces are still displayed as squares on my system (Windows XP), luckily my source language is not French.

trhanslator (X)
trhanslator (X)
Is this solved now? Dec 28, 2012

Hi,

Does Hobbit solve your issue?

Note that in default view non-breaking spaces now are displayed as a centred dot.

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I still see squares Dec 28, 2012

If I click on Show Invisible Characters button I still see squares but this is possibly a problem with my system (Windows XP installed almost 4 years ago). The new centred dots solve my problem.

Selcuk

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

display of invisible characters in CafeTran

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »