Hans Lenting wrote:

Igor says:

Okay, this is official. Please submit your ideas for CafeTran's icon
until the end of January. The winner's icon will be included in the
next update and the winner will receive a license for the unlimited
version of CafeTran.

Kind regards,
Igor Kmitowski

Com'on guys, nobody here that likes to draw and design?

Hans

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:10
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I think anyone who can draw and design... Jan 16, 2012

Hans Lenting wrote:

... might not be interested in designing a logo for the equivalent of 80 Euro / $ 100 (the price of such a license) when the designer could as well charge the regular rate of $ 1500 - $ 5000 for designing a logo elsewhere.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:10
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Why? Jan 16, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:
Hans Lenting wrote:

... might not be interested in designing a logo for the equivalent of 80 Euro / $ 100 (the price of such a license) when the designer could as well charge the regular rate of $ 1500 - $ 5000 for designing a logo elsewhere.

For the same reason that some people are willing to translate a CAT's user manual in exchange for a free license, even though they'd be selling themselves short if calculations were to be made.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:10
Finnish to French
It's a logo for an icon... Jan 16, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

We are talking about a logo for an icon here, not some gigantic, high-resolution graphics to be produced by a professional designer in PhotoShop. 80 euros is not that bad for a translator who spends 30-60 minutes of her/his time browsing through a picture library, pasting a picture in an icon editor, making a few changes to it and submitting the resulting .ico
But if your time is too precious to be wasted on icon designing, no need to mention it here, you can just ignore the request. And as Samuel said, there are other motivators in life than mere money.

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Design and translation Jan 16, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

For the same reason that some people are willing to translate a CAT's user manual in exchange for a free license, even though they'd be selling themselves short if calculations were to be made.

It would make good sense to post such a translation request at a designer website.
Attila

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:10
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
community building approach vs pay a designer Jan 16, 2012

I think it's a great idea to ask here instead of calling in the services of a professional designer. It's a good way of creating community involvement. If the users themselves have a hand at designing the products they use they are more likely to feel a sense of connection with the product. Just look at what happened to many of the old dinosaurs such as Trados etc. that failed to involve their users...

Count me in! I'll give it my best shot.

Michael

p.s. @I
... See more
I think it's a great idea to ask here instead of calling in the services of a professional designer. It's a good way of creating community involvement. If the users themselves have a hand at designing the products they use they are more likely to feel a sense of connection with the product. Just look at what happened to many of the old dinosaurs such as Trados etc. that failed to involve their users...

Michael

p.s. @Igor: can we have a little more info on the icon? dimensions/format etc.

[Edited at 2012-01-16 15:18 GMT]
Collapse

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:10
English
+ ...
Design and translation Jan 17, 2012

Attila Piróth wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

It would make good sense to post such a translation request at a designer website.
Attila

Actually that would not be such a good idea. This would be considered speculative work by most professionals and promoting this on a (professional, I assume) designer’s website would almost certainly get you a lot of flak.

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
@ Ambrose Jan 17, 2012

Ambrose Li wrote:

Actually that would not be such a good idea. This would be considered speculative work by most professionals and promoting this on a (professional, I assume) designer’s website would almost certainly get you a lot of flak.

Exactly. And I'm puzzled why the same doesn't seem to happen on a (professional) translator website when the roles are swapped.

Attila

Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
I am in! Jan 17, 2012

Michael Beijer wrote:

@Igor: can we have a little more info on the icon? dimensions/format etc.

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Icon size and format Jan 17, 2012

Hello Michael

I am referring to this recommendation here: http://www.visualpharm.com/articles/icon_sizes.html

I guess one universal size of at least 128x128 in PNG format would be fine. Later scaling it down and converting to other operating systems shouldn't be a problem.

Igor

Michael Beijer wrote:

Michael

p.s. @Igor: can we have a little more info on the icon? dimensions/format etc.

[Edited at 2012-01-16 15:18 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Design a logo: win a free license!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »