Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:35
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not many people know this Jan 27, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

..Marlon Brando sitting in the back of that car with Rod Steiger, saying "I coulda been somebody. I coulda been a contendah."

Not many people know this but Brando and Steiger filmed that conversation in two separate shots. The other actor wasn't there.

Next time you watch the film, look carefully.

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
? Jan 27, 2021

Tom, you must have your reasons, and there are a lot of one-actor shots, but after 0:48 they seem to be together there. In fact, Brando pats him on the lapel at one point. I know these days that's easy to set up, but in the 50s?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBiewQrpBBA

I rang Brando, but he said he couldn't help me, because he's dead, and he told me
... See more
Tom, you must have your reasons, and there are a lot of one-actor shots, but after 0:48 they seem to be together there. In fact, Brando pats him on the lapel at one point. I know these days that's easy to set up, but in the 50s?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBiewQrpBBA

I rang Brando, but he said he couldn't help me, because he's dead, and he told me I shouldn't bother ringing Steiger either for the same reason.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I can prove it Jan 27, 2021

4 things about the famous taxicab scene in On the Waterfront:

1. In the closeups of Rod Steiger, he wasn’t even talking to Brando. Brando had left to go see his shrink. Steiger did his closeups looking at Kazan. You would never know. Steiger never forgave Brando for that.

http://www.sheilaomalley.com/?p=66792

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post.
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Quoted post has been removed
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Brando Jan 27, 2021

OK, then, if that's the way it was, that's the way it was. I suppose he did all the "coulda been a contendah" thing with the shrink too.

Marina Taffetani
Marina Taffetani  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, everybody Jan 28, 2021

Thanks for all the great advice. I didn't expect so many replies–it's good to know we are here to help each other

@Sheila, I think you have a good point, thanks for your help!

By the way, I'd like to tell those of you who write and then delete their comments that if someone has notifications on, they will have read your comment anyway So,
... See more
Thanks for all the great advice. I didn't expect so many replies–it's good to know we are here to help each other

@Sheila, I think you have a good point, thanks for your help!

By the way, I'd like to tell those of you who write and then delete their comments that if someone has notifications on, they will have read your comment anyway So, I'm not discounting anything, I just said I was looking into something slightly different. Of course we're talking about specialization anyway, but I believe it's from a different perspective.
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Emanuele Vacca
Christopher Schröder

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 09:35
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Statistics Jan 28, 2021

If you are good at stats, then you can do Psychology. I can barely find an article which does not use stats. If one one-way Anova, linear regression etc. make sense, then you are most likely safe with adding this field to your portfolio.

Marina Taffetani
P.L.F. Persio
Nikki Scott-Despaigne

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Japanese to English
Very interesting topic Jan 28, 2021

Best of luck with your switch, Marina Taffetani.

I was just thinking this morning that I really, really, really enjoy translating contracts and legalese so it might be time for a switch. But I'm not sure I really want to do legal translations, or if I'm just attracted to it because it's the polar opposite of the marketing translations I usually do.

Reading stories from others who've made a switch is very encouraging.

Marina Taffetani
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
This just in: Jan 28, 2021

Police had to intervene earlier today when a London cab driver reported that a man with an American accent was sitting in the back of his taxi, and was refusing to get out. He had asked to be taken to “the waterfront”, which the driver did not fully understand, but he took the man to Canary Wharf all the same.

“I knew something was wrong when he started talking to himself back there,” said cabbie Peter Lamont. “Except it was more like he was talking to someone else in the
... See more
Police had to intervene earlier today when a London cab driver reported that a man with an American accent was sitting in the back of his taxi, and was refusing to get out. He had asked to be taken to “the waterfront”, which the driver did not fully understand, but he took the man to Canary Wharf all the same.

“I knew something was wrong when he started talking to himself back there,” said cabbie Peter Lamont. “Except it was more like he was talking to someone else in the cab with him. I only caught a few snatches, but it was weird stuff all right – “a coupla extra potatoes, that’s all I want, Charlie”, and “400 dollars for doin’ nuttin’?” – all disconnected, and then he seemed to be breaking down a little, and it was “I coulda had some class, Charlie. I coulda been a contendah. I coulda been somebody.”

“But,” Lamont went on, “suddenly he got a little violent, and began to shout “This ain’t your night! This ain’t your night!” Twice, he shouted it, and by that time I had reached the Wharf, so I stopped the cab just anywhere. He asked if this was “437 River Street”, which meant nothing to me, but I just told him to sling his hook. Then he shouted to his right again, like there was somebody sitting there beside him, “And what do I get, Charlie? A one-way ticket to Pelucaville?” And then I called the police.”

The man, who, it transpired, was not American, and in fact spoke in a gritty Northern Irish accent, would only say he was resident “in London”.
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 17:35
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not to rain on your parade... Jan 28, 2021

My suggestion would be to consider some other specialization that is in higher demand. I specialize in psychology, I have a degree in it, but nobody has ever asked me to translate a psychology text. Through my university courses in family studies, I became interested in family law. When I decided to make that one of my specializations, I attended a series of webinars offered by Suzanne Deliscar on proz.com to learn more about other aspects of law. Then I added it to my specializations and work ... See more
My suggestion would be to consider some other specialization that is in higher demand. I specialize in psychology, I have a degree in it, but nobody has ever asked me to translate a psychology text. Through my university courses in family studies, I became interested in family law. When I decided to make that one of my specializations, I attended a series of webinars offered by Suzanne Deliscar on proz.com to learn more about other aspects of law. Then I added it to my specializations and work just started coming.

I don't think you have to get a university degree in psychology, let alone psychiatry. You can learn a lot by reading and taking courses - even university courses - online. But I would suggest that you consider some other specializations that are in more demand than psychology.
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Peter Shortall
Marina Taffetani
P.L.F. Persio
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Language pairs matter Jan 28, 2021

Tina Vonhof wrote:

My suggestion would be to consider some other specialization that is in higher demand. I specialize in psychology, I have a degree in it, but nobody has ever asked me to translate a psychology text. Through my university courses in family studies, I became interested in family law. When I decided to make that one of my specializations, I attended a series of webinars offered by Suzanne Deliscar on proz.com to learn more about other aspects of law. Then I added it to my specializations and work just started coming.

I don't think you have to get a university degree in psychology, let alone psychiatry. You can learn a lot by reading and taking courses - even university courses - online. But I would suggest that you consider some other specializations that are in more demand than psychology.

It will depend on the language pair of course, but unless you have contacts in university circles and/or are with a (good) agency that will send psychology work your way, it is not the most abundant source of work by any means. Further, there are a tons of people out there who have studied psychology, alone or as part of another course, as it appears in many other fields too, both professional and academic.

Vanda Nissen
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Tina Vonhof (X)
Josephine Cassar
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Dan Lucas
Marina Taffetani

Marina Taffetani
Italy
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Tina Jan 29, 2021

You're right, of course. I'm well aware it's not a field in high demand. That's why I never thought of stopping working in my usual work areas. Obviously, as Nikki says, it depends on the language pair. I see you translate into English, and I believe the demand for psychology translation into English is much lower than other language pairs, as so many research papers, books, etc. are written in English nowadays, even by non-native speakers.

I thought of trying other fields, and the
... See more
You're right, of course. I'm well aware it's not a field in high demand. That's why I never thought of stopping working in my usual work areas. Obviously, as Nikki says, it depends on the language pair. I see you translate into English, and I believe the demand for psychology translation into English is much lower than other language pairs, as so many research papers, books, etc. are written in English nowadays, even by non-native speakers.

I thought of trying other fields, and there are some that might interest me. On the other hand, I could simply keep working in my areas, which would probably be the safest thing to do.

I just thought it would be interesting to work in a field that has always fascinated me. But thank you for sharing your experience, it's always best to see both sides of the coin.
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
My experience Jan 30, 2021

Some years ago (about 20) a medical doctor asked me if I was interested in reviewing a translation she had been asked to do for a well-known American publishing house. I hesitated because it was a very long project (908 pages) but, after reflection, accepted. She must have been happy with my work because later on she recommended me to an American company that develops and markets innovative medical devices. That is how it all started and we still work occasionally as a team with a slight differe... See more
Some years ago (about 20) a medical doctor asked me if I was interested in reviewing a translation she had been asked to do for a well-known American publishing house. I hesitated because it was a very long project (908 pages) but, after reflection, accepted. She must have been happy with my work because later on she recommended me to an American company that develops and markets innovative medical devices. That is how it all started and we still work occasionally as a team with a slight difference: I translate, she checks. This means that I have to pay her, but at my age I’m not looking to earn an “easy euro”, I’m much more interested in learning new things and she provides me a “security blanket” when the subject matter is more complex. This being said, my advice will be: learn by reading, have faith in yourself and take the jump…Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Marina Taffetani
Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Vanda Nissen

Marina Taffetani
Italy
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 30, 2021

Thanks, Teresa, for sharing your experience

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to pursue a different specialty

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »