Alison Trujillo
Alison Trujillo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:05
Member (2018)
Spanish to English
Nov 3, 2020

Hi all,
I am a U.S.-based translator and need to invoice one of my clients, a business located in Mexico. They have provided me with their RFC and CFDI numbers. My understanding is that businesses in Mexico use the CFDI electronic invoicing system. Do I need to use this system, even though my business is not registered in Mexico? I've always just sent my standard PDF invoices via email to all my Mexican clients. Thanks!
-Alison

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:05
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Alison Nov 3, 2020

I have no clients in Mexico, but I have clients all over the world (mostly in Europe, but also in Asia, Africa, Americas, Australia…) and I’ve always used my own standard PDF invoices.

Sheila Wilson
Angie Garbarino

Joshua Parker
Joshua Parker
Mexico
Member (2016)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Complicated... Nov 3, 2020

The Mexican tax authorities have, in their wisdom, made it notoriously difficult to deduct expenses - even those within Mexico, let alone abroad.

I live and work in Mexico near the U.S. border, so I regularly cross the border and make purchases in the United States (or at least I did in pre-Covid times!). I once enquired at the tax office if there was any way I could deduct any of these expenses in my tax return. The answer I got was that technically I could, but it would mean offic
... See more
The Mexican tax authorities have, in their wisdom, made it notoriously difficult to deduct expenses - even those within Mexico, let alone abroad.

I live and work in Mexico near the U.S. border, so I regularly cross the border and make purchases in the United States (or at least I did in pre-Covid times!). I once enquired at the tax office if there was any way I could deduct any of these expenses in my tax return. The answer I got was that technically I could, but it would mean officially importing whatever I bought, paying VAT, and completing paperwork so they could (for a fee) "convert" the U.S. receipt/invoice into a tax-deductible Mexican one. In short, it would only be worth the hassle for large amounts - certainly not for a few reams of paper!

I expect the same applies to services.

I think the only thing you can do is prepare your invoice normally (if possible include the client's RFC somewhere and in the case of an individual, perhaps his/her CURP) and leave it at that. If it's a large sum, the client could decide to go through the hassle of processing it with the tax authorities, but it's probably more hassle than it's worth.

Disclaimer: I'm not an accountant and I could be wrong - I'm just going by what I was told at the tax office. But even the tax authorities here give conflicting answers depending on whom you ask. Your best bet is for your client to ask his/her accountant and go from there. Hope that helps.
Collapse

Jorge Payan

Alison Trujillo
Alison Trujillo  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2018)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 4, 2020

Thanks you @TeresaBorges and @JoshuaParker. Very helpful.

I went ahead and sent the client my normal PDF invoice, including their business tax codes, etc. with their business name. They were totally fine with that and able to complete the bank transfer.

I really appreciate you all weighing in.

Have a good day!
Alison

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoicing a client in Mexico

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »