Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Do your clients sometimes sneak in extra tasks after you've agreed the job and the rate?
Thread poster: Tom in London
Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 17:24
Greek to English
Extra assignments Aug 7, 2020

Christine Andersen wrote:
Instead of wanting a good translation proofread and checked, they went over to to elaborate procedures, trying to press the process into QA templates, with all changes classified in tables as relating to to grammar, fluency, meaning, collocations etc. and as minor, serious, critical ...

This was the kind of nonsense I was referring to in my earlier post about "extra assignments": time-consuming, fussy and pointless. And without any prior warning, too.

Philippe Etienne

Anna Jaffe
Anna Jaffe
Netherlands
Local time: 16:24
Dutch to English
+ ...
Feedback on revisions Aug 7, 2020

I have one agency that always asks for feedback on revisions of my own translations. If I'm unavailable they'll do it themselves, but I can never resist the chance to nitpick, though it definitely costs extra time.
Another customer does the same, but that feels more like fruitful collaboration, whereas the first feels more like doing their work for them. I told them from the start (and they accepted) that their jobs are really outside my area of expertise, so sometimes I get things wrong.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do your clients sometimes sneak in extra tasks after you've agreed the job and the rate?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »