Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Getting your CV to many agencies at once?
Thread poster: Michal Shitrit
Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:59
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
What works Jun 17, 2020

Gina Centanni wrote:
I am offering them my services as an independent contractor. There is a difference.

A justifiably brisk response, Gina, and you make a fair point - my choice of the word "applicant" was poor.

Still, if I were an agency with many freelancers contacting me to offer such services, those who sent undifferentiated form letters would be deleted immediately.

If on the other hand I were an agency that had trouble getting and keeping freelancers to work for me, I'd probably be reading every email quite carefully. Horses for courses, I guess. That notwithstanding I certainly wouldn't encourage anybody (especially younger freelancers) to emulate your approach.

But as I have said more than once in various other threads, there are many routes to success in this industry and ultimately the only thing that matters is finding what works for you. If this approach does indeed work for you, then dismissive comments from people like me are kind of an irrelevance.

Regards,
Dan

PS literally as I wrote this response I received a spam email from an EN-DE freelancer - and I'm not even a translation agency!

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:59
Danish to English
+ ...
GDPR Jun 17, 2020

The GDPR has no provisions against your sending your own personal data to anybody. The problem is that if the entity that receives it falls under the scope of the GDPR, it is not allowed to process or retain such personal data if the sender has not consented to it. It doesn't matter that you are doing it in a business capacity. It is still personal data.

The outsourcer thus has to verify which consent, if any, the sender has given in relation to their personal data before the former
... See more
The GDPR has no provisions against your sending your own personal data to anybody. The problem is that if the entity that receives it falls under the scope of the GDPR, it is not allowed to process or retain such personal data if the sender has not consented to it. It doesn't matter that you are doing it in a business capacity. It is still personal data.

The outsourcer thus has to verify which consent, if any, the sender has given in relation to their personal data before the former can process or retain it – on pain of fines if they get it wrong.

Most outsourcers in the EU are probably breaching the GDPR on a daily basis anyway because it is totally unworkable in practice, as it has been dreamt up by people who have never had to run a business in their lives.
Collapse

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 18:59
Japanese to English
Aha Jun 18, 2020

I see. So this is why I've been getting so many CVs from freelancers even though I only posted one job on Proz 10 years ago. What a bother.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting your CV to many agencies at once?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »