Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
I've got more emails than on Hillary's server! [when to delete emails from inbox?]
Thread poster: Dylan J Hartmann
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
@Tom OT Nov 20, 2019

Stabbing?!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:25
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Don't ask Nov 20, 2019

Chris S wrote:

Stabbing?!

Don't ask - it was a local crime.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:25
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Thunderbird and folder size Nov 20, 2019

One of my email accounts has a size limit, so I only keep emails in it that are at most 1 year old, then archive them (never delete). Another account has no limits and I have all my emails in that folder going back to 2005 (91,768 messages). Using Thunderbird as my client, searching and filtering that folder (12GB!) is almost instantaneous, so I have no reason to delete. I tried Outlook at one point and found it painfully slow, plus it has a ridiculous habit when searching of starting with the o... See more
One of my email accounts has a size limit, so I only keep emails in it that are at most 1 year old, then archive them (never delete). Another account has no limits and I have all my emails in that folder going back to 2005 (91,768 messages). Using Thunderbird as my client, searching and filtering that folder (12GB!) is almost instantaneous, so I have no reason to delete. I tried Outlook at one point and found it painfully slow, plus it has a ridiculous habit when searching of starting with the oldest emails first, so I stayed with Thunderbird.Collapse

Daniel Williams
Daniel Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2018)
German to English
+ ...
Watch out for the GDPR! Nov 20, 2019

Generally speaking I would say keep e-mails for as long as they are useful for you. However, e-mail addresses often qualify as personal data, so you may have to clear your inbox down to comply with data protection regulations. For instance, my understanding is that under the GDPR you're only supposed to keep personal data (including e-mail addresses linked to individuals) if you can provide a plausible reason for storing it.

[Edited at 2019-11-20 18:33 GMT]

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 08:25
Dutch to English
+ ...
Clean-up Nov 20, 2019

I am a notorious cleaner-upper, both in my personal life and in my work life. Thunderbird allows me to 'download' several email accounts, so I can see them on my screen all at once. I have three: work, personal, and gmail. I split 'work' and 'personal' some years ago, when I received a lot of email and sometimes lost track of what was urgent. I regularly move things to the trash folder and I empty that weekly. My two address books (work and personal) are also fairly lean, because I don't add dir... See more
I am a notorious cleaner-upper, both in my personal life and in my work life. Thunderbird allows me to 'download' several email accounts, so I can see them on my screen all at once. I have three: work, personal, and gmail. I split 'work' and 'personal' some years ago, when I received a lot of email and sometimes lost track of what was urgent. I regularly move things to the trash folder and I empty that weekly. My two address books (work and personal) are also fairly lean, because I don't add direct, one-time clients; I put their email address on my invoice, so I still have access to it.Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

Katrin Braams
Katrin Braams  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:25
Member (2018)
English to German
+ ...
Legal requirements Nov 20, 2019

Not sure what the legal requirements in your jurisdictions are, but in Germany businesses are obliged to retain all business-related emails for a period of six years, starting at the end of the calendar year in which the email was received.

[Edited at 2019-11-20 21:46 GMT]

Daniel Williams
Daniel Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2018)
German to English
+ ...
@ Katrin Nov 21, 2019

I wasn't aware of the retention requirement in Germany. As I am based in the UK it doesn't apply to me, but I would still be interested to know how German businesses reconcile that requirement with the GDPR, because a lot of my clients make me delete all correspondence related to a project as soon as I complete the job/receive payment (i.e. within a maximum of about 30 days). Can German freelancers argue that can retain all that personal data because German regulations force them to?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I've got more emails than on Hillary's server! [when to delete emails from inbox?]

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »